The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by ohmygosh
I think both ways are effective, just personal preference I guess. I can never seem to follow Ovid's thought process (I think this makes me more comfortable about my sanity but not for the exam!) I'm also lacking a lot of knowledge on declensions etc so that makes it quite a challenge unfortunately.

Ah ok - I think the main thing to do is just identify the agreements within the sentence, find the verb and just translate the rest as it is. Just don't get put off by it really. Good luck though! Please discuss in this forum after!
Ughh, I have never felt this unprepared for an exam before :l oh jeez, I just did a past paper comprehension/translation (I know it's elegiacs but hey) and I got 70% for section B and elegiacs are easier than hexameter and FREAKING OUT and goodbye, A*...
(edited 10 years ago)
Good luck for everyone this afternoon! :smile:
Original post by cornflaked
Ughh, I have never felt this unprepared for an exam before :l oh jeez, I just did a past paper comprehension/translation (I know it's elegiacs but hey) and I got 70% for section B and elegiacs are easier than hexameter and FREAKING OUT and goodbye, A*...

True, but you are not used to translating elegiacs, you have become accustomed to hexameter (I am assuming that's what you've learned to translate this year). Just take a deep breath, it will be fine. If it's hard, everyone will find it hard. I am also aiming for an A* and I also find Ovid very difficult, but last year and the year before the raw marks you needed to get 80/100 UMS was 69/100, which would mean that you can drop a few marks and still achieve over 90%. Just don't panic if it looks difficult at first glance, try to be methodical and look at the case and number of every word, then match them up and go from there. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by binxgillam
True, but you are not used to translating elegiacs, you have become accustomed to hexameter (I am assuming that's what you've learned to translate this year). Just take a deep breath, it will be fine. If it's hard, everyone will find it hard. I am also aiming for an A* and I also find Ovid very difficult, but last year and the year before the raw marks you needed to get 80/100 UMS was 69/100, which would mean that you can drop a few marks and still achieve over 90%. Just don't panic if it looks difficult at first glance, try to be methodical and look at the case and number of every word, then match them up and go from there. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you :smile: If only I'd learnt my declensions and verb endings by Year 11 as you're meant to... (Don't we need 90/100 UMS to get 90% and an A*?)

Good luck everyone! See you on the other side :P
The ovid was SO FREAKIN HARD I want to cry :'(
Reply 126
Worst. Exam. Ever. (I hope people read that in a comic book guy voice)

But yeah. Ovid 💩💩💩 and then I had no time to answer the literature and ended up writing ****ty quick points and it's the only bit I'm good at. Such an idiot.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 127
Original post by emma2013
The ovid was SO FREAKIN HARD I want to cry :'(

it was so difficult I think the grade boundaries will have to be lowered, there were quite a few words I couldn't think how to translate. do you have any idea what the illum crenentum bit was about? Why did they make it so hard, I'm never going to have a chance of getting a high grade now :frown: At least everyone seems to agree that it wasn't easy.
Original post by ohmygosh
it was so difficult I think the grade boundaries will have to be lowered, there were quite a few words I couldn't think how to translate. do you have any idea what the illum crenentum bit was about? Why did they make it so hard, I'm never going to have a chance of getting a high grade now :frown: At least everyone seems to agree that it wasn't easy.

They'd better be lowered! I looked at a translation and apparentely that bit was about his mother seeing him and going mental :frown: The lit was okayish I guess and the essays were average, but not great, but I really need an A and now after that disaster I'm not sure I got it :/ Damn ovid. It's no wonder he was exiled -.-
I thought it went fine, until I looked at the translation just now. I really hope they're generous with what they accept for the comprehension and translation but I don't think there's any way I've got 4/4 for any of the sections... Let's just hope that they're kind with literature and low grade boundaries :biggrin: (Last year's was 77/100 for an A*, and 69 for an A on this paper, and since it's the first year for these authors it's bound to be lower so don't be too distraught!)

Here's a translation for anyone who wants it (remember our one had omissions so there are a few parts in this translation which weren't on the paper... so don't freak out haha):

Near the middle of the mountainside, was a clearing surrounded with remote woods, free of trees, and visible from all sides. Here as he watched the mysteries, with profane eyes, his mother was the first to see Pentheus, the first roused to run at him madly, the first to wound him, hurling her thyrsus. She shouted ‘O you two, sisters, come! That huge boar, who is straying in our fields, that boar is my sacrifice.’ They all rush on him in one maddened crowd: they converge together pursuing the frightened man, frightened now, speaking words free of violence now, cursing himself now, realising his own offence. Stricken, he still shouts ‘Help me, aunt Autonoë! Let Actaeon’s shade move your spirit!’ She, not remembering Actaeon, tears away the suppliant’s right arm. Ino, in frenzy, rips off the other. Now the unhappy man has no limbs to hold out to his mother, but, showing his wounded trunk shorn of its members, he cries ‘Mother, see!’. Agave howls, and twists her neck about, and thrashes her hair in the air, and tearing off his head, holding it in her bloody hands, shouts ‘Behold, sisters, this act marks our victory!’
The wind does not strip the leaves clinging there, from the high tree touched by an autumn frost, more quickly than this man’s limbs are torn by those terrible hands. Warned by such an example, the Theban women throng to the new religion, burn incense, and worship at the sacred altars.
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought the two essay questions were good, but I would have preferred a question on the very first bit, Rumour, or Mercury to analyse rather than Anna, I didn't feel that I had as much to say as I could have. The language questions were fine, save for the translation.
Original post by cornflaked

Here's a translation for anyone who wants it (remember our one had omissions so there are a few parts in this translation which weren't on the paper... so don't freak out haha):

Near the middle of the mountainside, was a clearing surrounded with remote woods, free of trees, and visible from all sides. Here as he watched the mysteries, with profane eyes, his mother was the first to see Pentheus, the first roused to run at him madly, the first to wound him, hurling her thyrsus. She shouted ‘O you two, sisters, come! That huge boar, who is straying in our fields, that boar is my sacrifice.’ They all rush on him in one maddened crowd: they converge together pursuing the frightened man, frightened now, speaking words free of violence now, cursing himself now, realising his own offence. Stricken, he still shouts ‘Help me, aunt Autonoë! Let Actaeon’s shade move your spirit!’ She, not remembering Actaeon, tears away the suppliant’s right arm. Ino, in frenzy, rips off the other. Now the unhappy man has no limbs to hold out to his mother, but, showing his wounded trunk shorn of its members, he cries ‘Mother, see!’. Agave howls, and twists her neck about, and thrashes her hair in the air, and tearing off his head, holding it in her bloody hands, shouts ‘Behold, sisters, this act marks our victory!’
The wind does not strip the leaves clinging there, from the high tree touched by an autumn frost, more quickly than this man’s limbs are torn by those terrible hands. Warned by such an example, the Theban women throng to the new religion, burn incense, and worship at the sacred altars.

I thought that "saucius" was a noun, and wondered why they were talking about a wound! Daft mistake, I don't think I've done very well on this translation at all....really worried now!
Original post by goldfishgirl
I thought the two essay questions were good, but I would have preferred a question on the very first bit, Rumour, or Mercury to analyse rather than Anna, I didn't feel that I had as much to say as I could have. The language questions were fine, save for the translation.

I thought that "saucius" was a noun, and wondered why they were talking about a wound! Daft mistake, I don't think I've done very well on this translation at all....really worried now!

Yeah I got really confused about that but then when I got onto the essays I saw it was the bit about Dido being 'saucia'ed so I remembered :/ that's probably about the extent of my success for the translation though :frown:
Reply 132
Yeah I got really confused about that but then when I got onto the essays I saw it was the bit about Dido being 'saucia'ed so I remembered :/ that's probably about the extent of my success for the translation though :frown:

Same here.... :/ that was the worst paper I've ever done in terms on language. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Essay questions were absolutely beautiful, wrote seven pages on the Dido one, it was gorgeous. The translation was hard in places, but I thought the comprehension questions were okay. The scansion though - did anyone else elide the "male" to the "haerente" or whatever it was?
Original post by LuxVeritatis
Essay questions were absolutely beautiful, wrote seven pages on the Dido one, it was gorgeous. The translation was hard in places, but I thought the comprehension questions were okay. The scansion though - did anyone else elide the "male" to the "haerente" or whatever it was?

it was the '...que' to the 'male' I thought?
Reply 135

I elided male to harentes - i think you only elide an 'm' when it's at the end of the word and precedes a vowel. Not 100% sure though!

7 pages for one question? Wow... You must write quickly!
Well, the Ovid was predictably interesting... I think I utterly buggered up two sentences and got three more or less correct, so hopefully I'll get about 20 marks! Frankly the comprehension was just waffling around the bits I couldn't translate. Also did anyone think the tree question was pretty funny? I put something like the women are like the wind because they become an unstoppable force of nature! :tongue:

The Propertius questions were an absolute gift for me, with the easiest poem to write about coming up first and then the second being more or less 'write everything you know about Propertius'. Praying for 80 UMS but would be happy with a low A on that paper to be honest.
Original post by hola-anna
I elided male to harentes - i think you only elide an 'm' when it's at the end of the word and precedes a vowel. Not 100% sure though!

awww crap :frown: I didn't think you could elide those two as 'hae' is a dipthong :/ Dammit I really needed the scansion marks after the translation :s-smilie:

I'm 99% sure that you only elide 'm' at the end of a sentence, and was about 50% sure that you elide 'h' at the start of a word, so I plumped for that. Still, one foot can be incorrect and you still get 4/4.

Original post by hola-anna

7 pages for one question? Wow... You must write quickly!

A little too quickly perhaps... I finished the language section in half an hour though, so I had the extra fifteen minutes per essay.
I'm 99% sure that you only elide 'm' at the end of a sentence, and was about 50% sure that you elide 'h' at the start of a word, so I plumped for that. Still, one foot can be incorrect and you still get 4/4.

A little too quickly perhaps... I finished the language section in half an hour though, so I had the extra fifteen minutes per essay.

Gah I need an A in this paper and it is slowly slipping away :angry:

I had longer for the essays too, and did 6 pages, 5 pages (though writing slowly got bigger and messier)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending