The Student Room Group

Ocr geography a2 f764 and f763 2013 june

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Reducing risk essay for earth hazards was brilliant I thought, mentioned Chile 2010 compared that to Haiti, mentioned Indian Ocean warning system how that reduced future hazards e.g aceh 2012. Mt St Helens monitored as well.

The globalisation individual gov one was annoying as it was slightly ambiguous, I was going to mention Bolivia but did not think i'd have enough for 3 and a half pages, I talked about UK which had a bit more though less relevant. I'm not brilliant a 10 mark q but thought they were ok.
Original post by Fruscianterules
Yeah I did. Ran out of time so only got to talk about earthquakes and mass movements, and then a tiny reference to volcanoes in the conclusion. How badly you reckon this will affect the overall grade?

It won't affect your grade as long as you mention more than one its fine. I kinda regret doing that essay as I got half way through and had a mind blank :angry:
Original post by Fryer123
Reducing risk essay for earth hazards was brilliant I thought, mentioned Chile 2010 compared that to Haiti, mentioned Indian Ocean warning system how that reduced future hazards e.g aceh 2012. Mt St Helens monitored as well.

The globalisation individual gov one was annoying as it was slightly ambiguous, I was going to mention Bolivia but did not think i'd have enough for 3 and a half pages, I talked about UK which had a bit more though less relevant. I'm not brilliant a 10 mark q but thought they were ok.

Which globalisation one did you do? What other topic did you do for economic issues?
the population and resource essay was a dream
anyone doing the skills next friday?
Original post by anony.mouse
As high as that ??

Hey just wondering what did you write for your climatic haazards essay
Original post by chessjohnston
the population and resource essay was a dream
anyone doing the skills next friday?

I thought they weren't that good. Maybe cause I hate that topic. Which one did you do?
Anyone else get a horrible feeling that they didn't number all the questions? If you didn't what would the examiners do? Would they just give you 0, or see what questions they were related to and mark them...
Original post by Harris6332
Anyone else get a horrible feeling that they didn't number all the questions? If you didn't what would the examiners do? Would they just give you 0, or see what questions they were related to and mark them...

Your making me think I didn't number them now :confused:
Original post by flower123456

A friend of mine said he didn't number them... Ever since then I've been questioning myself!
A friend of mine said he didn't number them... Ever since then I've been questioning myself!

Hopefully the examiners don't mind and find out which we were answering. Otherwise I think I've lost all my marks:frown:
Reply 130
Did anyone do the earth hazards essay?

I did the earth hazard 30 marker on reducing risk from earth hazards. I wrote about earthquakes and the way their managed though: warning systems, keeping an effective and trained response, education on how to evacuate, and the use of building earthquake proof buildings. Using japan and the USA as case studies

I wrote about managing volcanoes though prediction as in Mount st Helens and Iceland when they used water to stop the volcanoes

I then did management of flooding by using the Thames in London and the way floods are managed there. I also used Bangladesh using afforestation to reduce flooding risks

I finally did mass movements and the way of reducing chances of them occurring using Venezuela and methods they used there such as buildings being parallel the land and the other methods.

Did anyone do the question for development where it said evaluate the influence of economic factors on development?
Original post by chessjohnston
Hey just wondering what did you write for your climatic haazards essay

For my intro I wrote about how dealing with the hazard is difficult in terms of money and logistics, meaning MEDCs should cope with climatic hazards better than LEDCs. I then wrote about the heatwave in France, the snow in scotland, hurricanes and tornadoes in USA and tropical storm Sidr in bangladesh and evaluated the management strategies as I went along. In my conclusion I wrote about MEDCS usually coping with climatic hazards better than MEDCs. BUT how that if a MEDC isn't used to a hazard then it struggles to cope as it often doesn't have enough resources and people aren't used to dealing with it, as in the case of Scotland as it didn't have enough snow ploughs and people didn't prepare enough as they thought it would just be a few flakes of snow as usual.

I said about this yesterday afternoon on here. I always get paranoid at the end that I didn't write the number down, or that if I did, I wrote the wrong number.
Original post by Fryer123

Were you only supposed to use one case study?
Reply 134
I've just pretty sure on the 3 mark questions the most imperative thing is an LEDC/NIC and MEDC contrast; seems to be on every mark scheme at least.

Was wondering if anyone did the "High fertility rate is still a problem" question..
Original post by anony.mouse
For my intro I wrote about how dealing with the hazard is difficult in terms of money and logistics, meaning MEDCs should cope with climatic hazards better than LEDCs. I then wrote about the heatwave in France, the snow in scotland, hurricanes and tornadoes in USA and tropical storm Sidr in bangladesh and evaluated the management strategies as I went along. In my conclusion I wrote about MEDCS usually coping with climatic hazards better than MEDCs. BUT how that if a MEDC isn't used to a hazard then it struggles to cope as it often doesn't have enough resources and people aren't used to dealing with it, as in the case of Scotland as it didn't have enough snow ploughs and people didn't prepare enough as they thought it would just be a few flakes of snow as usual.

Ok that makes me feel better i basically said similiar even though i just think my structure was all over the place in comparison to my other one
i just said it was possible to reduce impacts to an extent but it would always have another impact for exaple medc social impact down but higher economic but as i said.. i hate physicial hopefully i did enough
I thought they weren't that good. Maybe cause I hate that topic. Which one did you do?

Just had a massive feeling demand for resources would come up so was really happy when it did! unfortunately not the same for physical...
Reply 137
is anyone doing the f764 retake? If so, does anyone know the advantages,etc... Of GIS software
Reply 138
Did anyone do the 10 marker on the River Elbe? The photo confused me. I couldn't tell if it was a flooded river or the houses were built raised above the river...
Original post by msamra1
is anyone doing the f764 retake? If so, does anyone know the advantages,etc... Of GIS software

GIS is more accurate and quicker than trying to draw data overlayed on a map.

I'm doing it, but not as a retake, we didn't do any janaury exams for geography.

What i don't like about the skills paper is how there's a choice for the shorter questions but not the essay questions :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending