Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chelsea F.C vs S.L Benfica, Europa League Final 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    Haha I'm hardly trolling, just saying why I'm disappointed Chelsea won tonight.

And look at your fans reaction. Crowding Internet forums maybe setting a couple of party poppers off. Had Benfica won there'd be street parties kicking of in Lisbon right now.
    Yeah, because you should always judge a club's entire fanbase on a couple of people on the internet. I actually reported you're post because blatantly trying to get a reaction, and that is trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    You say that like it's a good thing. The CL holders have never ended up in this competition before.

Also does this mean Everton are in Europe now?
    How about only the 4th team to win the CL, EL/UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup/ and the only British side ever to do so.

Happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_usher4)
    First London club to win the CL
    First team to ever win EL and CL in consecutive seasons
    Not unless you mean since the UEFA Cup was renamed as the Europa League, but would be a bit of an arbitrary thing to call an "achievement".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    No.

And on Goal Difference.
    It was on "head-to-head" iirc, Chelsea had a better GD than Shaktar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    It was on "head-to-head" iirc, Chelsea had a better GD than Shaktar.
    Exactly, we missed out by one goal and the rules were only changed this year. Would still rather win the EL than get knocked out in the 2nd round/Quarters of the CL though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriggy)
    Yeah don't get me wrong it wasn't meant as a dig at Chelsea or their fans. If Newcastle had done the same thing (lol) I'd be exactly the same.

End of the day Chelsea have just gone through the motions in a competition they shouldn't have been in, and didn't want to be in. It's entirely a fault with the format and it desperately needs changing,
    Exactly. I'm glad we won in the end as it takes away some of the sting from not progressing through the CL group stages, but tbh the way we walked through the competition we've made the EL to look like a bit of a joke, and even more inferior to the CL' than it did before. I suppose we could have drawn tougher opposition but still.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how Chelsea fans can be happy about a club such as Chelsea being in the Europa league.
    My message explains the second one. The reason Chelsea are the first team to win the CL and El in consecutive seasons is because they are the only Champions league winners in history who weren't strong enough to qualify for the CL knock out stages.

ReputationRep:
    First English club to have qualified for the European Cup in its inaugural season in 1956.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    I don't know how Chelsea fans can be happy about a club such as Chelsea being in the Europa league.
    My message explains the second one. The reason Chelsea are the first team to win the CL and El in consecutive seasons is because they are the only Champions league winners in history who weren't strong enough to qualify for the CL knock out stages.
    But we were, only a point behind the group winners, better GD than Shaktar missing out by one goal. Incidentally, that goal shouldn't have been allowed since it was Adriano scoring rather than giving the ball back to Norsejalland which he should have done.

Not going to complain though, we weren't going to win the CL this season, next best thing was to win the EL which we did.

I don't care who you support-we've probably won more than you in the last three years.

ReputationRep:
    But we were, only a point behind the group winners, better GD than Shaktar missing out by one goal. Incidentally, that goal shouldn't have been allowed since it was Adriano scoring rather than giving the ball back to Norsejalland which he should have done.

Not going to complain though, we weren't going to win the CL this season, next best thing was to win the EL which we did.

I don't care who you support-we've probably won more than you in the last three years.
    We were knocked out on H2H by away goals btw. But anyway a trophy's a trophy although I do agree the EL format needs changing by not allowing CL dropouts /giving the winner a CL place/more prize money etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Chelsea win the Europa League and all the ****ing pricks come pouring out the woodwork to take a stab at us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Wow, Chelsea win the Europa League and all the ****ing pricks come pouring out the woodwork to take a stab at us.
    Too bad most of them are Arsenal fans who are hurtful that nearly 40 teams in the English league have a won trophy since they last did. I don't see any other fans saying how worthless the Europa cup is. Too bad Arsenal qualify for CL then always get out on the first round of knock-out stage. Terrible team.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How about only the 4th team to win the CL, EL/UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup/ and the only British side ever to do so.

Happy?
    That does sound a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    just googled the curse of Benfica after I heard the commentator mention it. Turns out the manager who won their first 2 European Cups (predecessor to champs league), which were both in a row and when they had Eusebio, anyway that manager walked out after being refused a pay rise and said you will never win another European trophy for 100 years. Since then its been 50 years and they've been to 7 European finals and lost of all them.
    Pretty Cool story I thought, apparently fans still leave flowers at his grave in the hope that he will lift the curse lol

ReputationRep:

Indeed you have, of course I cconsider us getting to the knockout stages and competing against the top teams in Europe and the world to be better than competing in the Europa league.
    Of course it helps that you have spent 30 times as much as us in the last 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed you have, of course I cconsider us getting to the knockout stages and competing against the top teams in Europe and the world to be better than competing in the Europa league.
    Of course it helps that you have spent 30 times as much as us in the last 3 years.
    I assume from that you're an Arsenal fan. I can't see how regularly failing to get as far as/past the quarter finals of the CL is more beneficial than giving it a good go and winning the EL especially since it's been almost a decade since youw on. Plus, you can' really use the getting to the knockout stages and competing against Europe's best clubs as an argument, as apart from this season, we've got further than you/as far as you in the competition every season bar 2005/2006.

And from next season onwards you can't continue using the "we've not got enough money to compete" considering your getting £30 million a season from Puma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    x
    I know it's been a tough week for you after what has happened but I'd like to say first and foremost, commiserations for benfica. They worked so hard, played some beautiful football and are pretty humble compared to bayern. It felt good seeing schweinsteigger cry last season but I felt bad watching luisao on the floor at the final whistle. They're a good club, with a good manager and play some very aesthetically pleasing football, they can hold their heads high during the run but they faced a team that has character and can grind results out in the darkest of situations. Hopefully they sign off next season with a trophy.

I gained a lot of respect for your players, benfica are a great team to watch. You try to score the most perfect goals though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    It is really tiresome, isn't it? I've had the same discussions on Facebook. I know it's not a league title or CL but it's the next best thing. We were in the trophy, we were favourites, and we won it. Nothing more to be said, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    I absolutely feel for you. Another 92nd minute goal for you to deal with.

Cannot believe Benficas season was looking fantastic only for two late goals to kill all hopes and dreams.
    Yeah, I really feel sorry for benfica. The same thing happened to bayern last year but tbh we didn't even bother until the semi final, while we were clearly the best team in the competition I enjoyed benfica. To lose to a 92nd min goal(no matter how good that header was) again must have been heartaching. I hope they do well next season.

(Original post by KingMessi)
    It is really tiresome, isn't it? I've had the same discussions on Facebook. I know it's not a league title or CL but it's the next best thing. We were in the trophy, we were favourites, and we won it. Nothing more to be said, really.
    I just had a rant on the arsenal thread about this tbh. I don't care anymore personally there's always going to be hate towards our club. It just makes our moment better when we win it I guess you gotta revel in the spotlight of being the villain. I'd have liked it to be a london final and I really felt sorry for benfica.

Although tbh benfica were in the CL too so tbh they can have no complaints about it being a mini CL. I knew this would happen tbh and by the quarter finals I could tell that bar a dodgy semi final it'd be a chelsea benfica final with us narrowly winning.

ReputationRep:
    They did indeed:
    First champions league winners to fail to win the club world championship.
    Where did you even get that from? Both Liverpool and Barcelona have failed to win it in recent years.

Chelsea have had a torrid, difficult season, but made the best out of a bad situation by going out and winning the EL. Better than City and United last year who just went "ahh **** it, who cares?" and going out when they were clear favourites. And better than going "AWww yeah, well done lads, out at the quarter finals again, that's like a trophy right????? "

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.