Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Oh, I've no idea sorry. I always forget there are such differences between us I didn't know you were only allowed two last year! I believe we were allowed four last year so now we have been demoted to three.

Have you decided where to apply yet?
    Possibly Sunderland and York St. John, but I'm not sure because I'd prefer to visit first. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Possibly Sunderland and York St. John, but I'm not sure because I'd prefer to visit first. What about you?
    I was thinking man met, edge hill and Sheffield Hallam, but I'm so unsure at the moment. I'm not planning on any open days because I'm very limited as to where I can apply seeing as I have a politics degree and want to do r.e. I need to make sure that the place states they will accept other degrees you see.

I was tempted by York st John, but it was quite far away for me. York is lovely though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking man met, edge hill and Sheffield Hallam, but I'm so unsure at the moment. I'm not planning on any open days because I'm very limited as to where I can apply seeing as I have a politics degree and want to do r.e. I need to make sure that the place states they will accept other degrees you see.

I was tempted by York st John, but it was quite far away for me. York is lovely though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    York is very close to me and my boyfriend works for Yorkshire Ambulance Service so it is really convenient. I went to an open day before undergrad and they were lovely, so it would be good if I could go. I visited SHU but had to rule it out because they wanted actual teaching experience rather than just taking small groups.

ReputationRep:
    York is very close to me and my boyfriend works for Yorkshire Ambulance Service so it is really convenient. I went to an open day before undergrad and they were lovely, so it would be good if I could go. I visited SHU but had to rule it out because they wanted actual teaching experience rather than just taking small groups.
    Ah so it's handy for you, yes.

Annoying about SHU! I've just looked on the website and I've noticed for primary it doesn't actually say anything about that in the entry requirements, so I hope they're not expecting the same for secondary and just haven't put it on there...

ReputationRep:
    Ah so it's handy for you, yes.

Annoying about SHU! I've just looked on the website and I've noticed for primary it doesn't actually say anything about that in the entry requirements, so I hope they're not expecting the same for secondary and just haven't put it on there...
    Not sure, there were separate talks for the two pgces if I remember rightly. It's made me cautious of unis though, which is why I want to visit any before I apply to them...

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, there were separate talks for the two pgces if I remember rightly. It's made me cautious of unis though, which is why I want to visit any before I apply to them...
    I'd be the same! You've got me looking at open days now anyway, which is probably a good thing :P

ReputationRep:
    Just rang round some more schools (speaking to them all for the third time, woops) and finally got a placement. So will have:

-6 month's worth of afternoon weekly visits to a reception class between 2010-2011
    -5 days, visiting each year group, 2013
    -6-10 days (whatever I can get) of volunteering in whichever year group, 2014
    -Volunteering with autistic children and their families

That should meet the minimum requirements... and it turns out I do actually have a B in GCSE maths. I'm gonna need to check my certificates but I'm now pretty sure I have a B.

So anyway, moral of the story is: keep ringing, even if you've already rang three times and emailed. It can't do you any harm (though be prepared for grumpy receptionists, haha).
    The fact you managed to get some volunteering organised this late in the school year gives me hope Cos most schools I've rung have said they're too busy right now to say yes or no.

Edit: Oh I see you've got some in 2013 and 2014. For some reason I assumed you'd just organised some for this coming school year last minute.

P.S. have you found that schools have a person whose job is to organise placements like these? I've found they do now but when I've done volunteering in the past I don't remember having to speak to one of these people.

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know if volunteering in one of these new 'academy' schools counts? A bunch of high schools in my area have now become academies and I don't really know if going to those for volunteering will count for the application. I say this because I've seen entry requirements specify 'state schools'.

Edit: One more thing. Think if I'm not successful before summer holidays that if I ring round schools in September I'll be able to get volunteering placements before the end of 2013?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandardUsername)
    Edit: One more thing. Think if I'm not successful before summer holidays that if I ring round schools in September I'll be able to get volunteering placements before the end of 2013?
    You can try in September I mean as long as you have it organised quickly enough to send you application off by December (if that's your aim, as it is most peoples). Also if you are in your final year and wanting to teach a subject in demand ie. Physics, Maths, Chem etc. you can apply for the School Experience Programme (only if you are in your final year of studies and predicted a 2.1+). So don't worry about it. I've only got a few days in schools but loads of extra curric. I'm organising my September experience now too (just find out asap)

ReputationRep:
    The fact you managed to get some volunteering organised this late in the school year gives me hope Cos most schools I've rung have said they're too busy right now to say yes or no.

Edit: Oh I see you've got some in 2013 and 2014. For some reason I assumed you'd just organised some for this coming school year last minute.

P.S. have you found that schools have a person whose job is to organise placements like these? I've found they do now but when I've done volunteering in the past I don't remember having to speak to one of these people.

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know if volunteering in one of these new 'academy' schools counts? A bunch of high schools in my area have now become academies and I don't really know if going to those for volunteering will count for the application. I say this because I've seen entry requirements specify 'state schools'.

The placement I did a few weeks ago was very last minute, I phoned the school and got the email of the person who organises work experience placements and she was happy to use a crb for another school, so I went in two weeks after our emails.

The placement I'm doing in 2014 would have been last minute too, but I can only do it in January (it's in my home town) and I think in that case the extra time made it easier to fit me in. Last minute placements do happen though, the bet advise I can give is to just keep calling. Ask to speak to the person who organises placements, and if they're not there then ask for that persons email. Be as forward as you can without being rude.

I'm not sure if academies count, but I would try to get your minimum ten days in state schools only. I know special schools don't count but are helpful if you meet the minimum requirements as well. Its possible that you'll get a placement in the new academic year, I think schools are just feeling very harassed right now because its the end of the year, so you might have more luck next time. Sorry for the essay!

ReputationRep:
    The placement I did a few weeks ago was very last minute, I phoned the school and got the email of the person who organises work experience placements and she was happy to use a crb for another school, so I went in two weeks after our emails.

The placement I'm doing in 2014 would have been last minute too, but I can only do it in January (it's in my home town) and I think in that case the extra time made it easier to fit me in. Last minute placements do happen though, the bet advise I can give is to just keep calling. Ask to speak to the person who organises placements, and if they're not there then ask for that persons email. Be as forward as you can without being rude.

I'm not sure if academies count, but I would try to get your minimum ten days in state schools only. I know special schools don't count but are helpful if you meet the minimum requirements as well. Its possible that you'll get a placement in the new academic year, I think schools are just feeling very harassed right now because its the end of the year, so you might have more luck next time. Sorry for the essay!
    Ah thank you so much! I'll have to do a CRB which I forgot about but they don't take too long to complete do they? I'll just keep ringing. At one school, my old high school, the receptionist claimed they were fully booked for the whole year. I'm hoping she just thought I meant I was actually trying to get an official training place or something!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you so much! I'll have to do a CRB which I forgot about but they don't take too long to complete do they? I'll just keep ringing. At one school, my old high school, the receptionist claimed they were fully booked for the whole year. I'm hoping she just thought I meant I was actually trying to get an official training place or something!
    I had my app starting end of may. Got delivered 20th june...two days before placement starting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figuresk8rstudent)
    I had my app starting end of may. Got delivered 20th june...two days before placement starting!
    Sorry, what do you mean by 'app'?

Edit: Just realised you were talking about the CRB, my mistake! So roughly three weeks which is what I expected.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what do you mean by 'app'?

Edit: Just realised you were talking about the CRB, my mistake! So roughly three weeks which is what I expected.
    Roughly yeah but get it done asap so it's done then :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you so much! I'll have to do a CRB which I forgot about but they don't take too long to complete do they?
    CRB's can take various times depending on where your getting it completed by. Ive had a really varied wait time for mine. I waited 1 week for one to start working for an autism charity at home in cleveland, but for a placement in Preston it took from just before easter till the 2nd July for it to come back meaning I missed my chance at completing the experience

ReputationRep:
    Reading all the comments about people's experience is making me realise how little i possibly actually have, and i thought i was okay!

ReputationRep:
    I have had some placements and I have not had to complete a CRB. Mainly because I was never alone with any of the students, I was always with a teacher or in the classroom while I was working with groups of students.

ReputationRep:

There's been people who organise work exp at some schools I've contacted. I've found them quite helpful.

Academies count. They are still technically state schools. Plus, my last school exp was in an academy that was a national teaching school, so they did schools direct and all sorts of teacher training stuff. I spoke to the person who organises it all and she said they got loads on work exp so I would have thought she would have said if their days were gonna be useless exp - after all, she was the lead person for teacher training admissions partnered with Cumbria uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    The entry requirements are not changing for 2014 entry. It will still be grade C in maths and English GCSEs (and science if going for primary).
    However, the skills tests required in numeracy and literacy will be changed so that the pass rate reflects a B grade.

Hope this helps!

Yes it saves me a lot of money in tuition and exam fees! You have made my day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    Reading all the comments about people's experience is making me realise how little i possibly actually have, and i thought i was okay!
    If it's any help I will about 12-15 days in a secondary history environment, honestly it's what you do with that experience, what you learn and how you are able to express it that matters. I found that because I knew I am having precious little time on the job, I made sure I tried to squeeze every last bit out of it, it actually focuses the mind. I feel if I went every week or did loads and loads, it might become a bit like a job and you switch off a bit. Apparently they like people with life experience on the post-grad PGCE too.

ReputationRep:
    I am also applying for 2014 have two years experience in schools have managed to get interviews but haven't been successful yet... applying for TA jobs at the moment to gain further experience.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.