Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ive given blood a total of 7 times now starting from college, gonna give for the 8th time this coming friday...all the people who are scared that you wont be able to do anything for the rest of the day of will feel weak, sure for the first hour or so you will do but after that its all normal (im going to be travelling to manchester 2 hours after i give blood to collect a friend)

ReputationRep:
    I nearly faint when they take 1 tube, I think I would be out cold if I gave blood

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwah)
    I always find that weird when i read it, i know why it's a reason but it seems outdated now due to sti's particularly HIV being just as big a problem in the hetrosexual community
    MSM (men who have sex with men) have a much higher rate of blood borne virus infections than heterosexual men and women.

There are more heterosexuals with HIV overall, but a far far higher rate amongst MSM. And since you also get rid of IVDUs and other high risk heterosexual individuals, I don't see the weirdness or why it's particularly outdated.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could donate blood, but I take prescription medication which means I'm not allowed.

My dad has a really rare blood type (B negative I think?) so they're always hassling him for his blood. I feel slightly guilty that I have a good chance of having the same rare blood type but I'm not able to donate.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to, but last time I checked I didn't weigh enough to be able to.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say that if you've signed up to give blood and get a BCG vaccination, you have to wait a minimum of 4 weeks (if your scar has healed) or 8 weeks (if it hasn't).

This happened to me, so now I have to postpone my first appointment to give blood for another 4 weeks!

Also, for those who have given blood before, have you any tips or advice for beginners?

ReputationRep:
    I made my first donation the day that Iron Man 3 came out in Cinemas. That was an eventful day :P
    Can't wait to give blood again, hopefully it'll coincide with another good movie.

ReputationRep:
    I gave away pint no.15 just over two weeks ago. It's a good feeling knowing that your blood is going to help one or several people.
    A few years back I was declined from donating blood several times because my hemoglobin levels were low. If they took it anyway, they said I would become anemic (sp). The way to combat this is to eat more food with iron in it, or take iron supplements which is what I do a couple of hours prior to a blood donating session, and I'm sure to pass their tests :-)
    Happy days

ReputationRep:
    Because of the height-weight ratio of younger donors, I'm about 10kg too light to donate

Once they don't apply anymore (I think its at 20) I'll give blood.

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood for the first time just after my 18th birthday in April. It was really painless and quick, the staff were all really lovely and helpful too I would love to give bone marrow too. I actually decided to give blood partially because my dad has a cancer called Myeloma which is a blood/bone marrow cancer, he actually had a donor stem cell transplant that saved his life thanks to someone donating bone marrow, needless to say he also required a lot of blood in treatment! I was shocked to learn that not many people do actually give blood, if anyone is considering giving blood I would urge you to do it, from personal experience i know how important it is, especially when it's only 10 minutes of your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjm91)
    Unfortunately due to my sexual orientation, I am prohibited from giving blood. Actually, the ban is men who have had sex with men within the last 12 months. This includes even if it is protected sex or in a monogamous relationship.

Otherwise I would.
    Ive never got that. A hommosexual man in a long term relationship is far less likely to catch HIV than a straight person who has unprotected sex with numerous partners. I do know that theres more chance of catching HIV from anal sex but many straight couples do that to.

@OP: I did go to give blood once but I was turned down as I didnt have enough red blood cells. That was a good few years ago now so maybe I should try again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have given blood 10 times. Unfortunately I cannot donate until next April because on my last attempt my HB levels were too low.My GP diagnosed anemia after a blood test and gave me a month long course of iron tablets. I'm no longer anemic thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seyrose)
    Because of the height-weight ratio of younger donors, I'm about 10kg too light to donate

Once they don't apply anymore (I think its at 20) I'll give blood.
    This applies to me too, I gave blood once before the height weight thing came in to play and I actually fainted - not because of the needles or anything, obviously taking blood out of me was too much for my body to handle But I'm 20 next year so I will be going back to give then

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter a few days ago asking to donate blood tomorrow. I think I'll go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I actually wish I could give blood but I can't, its something to do with having a blood transfusion, for some reason I cant give blood because of that, but I would especially like to as someone giving blood saved my life.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think I should probably register myself as a donor at some point. I used to hate the idea, especially after randomly passing out after a vaccination... But recently i've had a few blood tests and they weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would truly love to give blood but I can't. I definitely would if I could though. Good on you for helping others!

ReputationRep:
    I would love to donate blood but I am very small and weigh just under 8 stone. I've been told that you have to be over 8 stone to give blood, is this true?
    I am however an organ donor after my father received the life saving transplabt hed been waiting for for 7 years last year. It has changed not only his life but all of our lives as I finally feel like I have my dad back and we can go on days out and holidays. I would urge any of you to do a good deed and sign up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gypsyclimber)
    I would love to donate blood but I am very small and weigh just under 8 stone. I've been told that you have to be over 8 stone to give blood, is this true?
    I am however an organ donor after my father received the life saving transplabt hed been waiting for for 7 years last year. It has changed not only his life but all of our lives as I finally feel like I have my dad back and we can go on days out and holidays. I would urge any of you to do a good deed and sign up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry dont know what that 8 stone is but ....

In India this is the current rules.
    You need to be :
    over 18yrs old and below 60yrs
    hemoglobin should be >12.5gms%
    weight should be over 45kgs for 350 ml and over 55 kgs for 450 ml (component separation)

You should not have :
    Any communicable disease like, HIV, HBsAg, HCV, VDRL, Malaria etc...
    Should not have boozed in last 3 days
    should not have habbit of drugs
    should not be having Jaundice or TB
    should not be lactating mother / pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gypsyclimber)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The bottom limit is 7st 12lb. I weighed myself the other day and FINALLY weigh more than this :-) now, I can start thinking about giving blood! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.