Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluester)
    English is extremely overrated - by which I mean the comparing poetry and rubbish like that, not the basic ablility to read and write. I should still be a subject, but I don't think it should be regarded as highly or as useful as maths, sciences, forign languages etc...
    English gives you the ability to critically analyse pieces of text and come to a skilled, reasoned conclusion. For subjects such as Law and for historians, these skills are absolutely vital. Perhaps reading and analyzing Shakespeare isn't particularly beneficial, but the analytic and literary skills that are sharpened can be used over a multitude of disciplines, such as journalism, business, law and many others. How would you get your news if no journalists could coherently break down stories into readable material? How would your lawyer be able to argue your case if he wasn't good at analyzing facts and coming to a reasoned, fair judgement?

Don't be so ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSeeber1)
    I think it should be a test to see how fit you are to be a parent. Prevents useless teenagers having a child just cos they can't be bothered to put a condom on.

But also, some adults just shouldn't be parents either. People can barely look after themselves, let alone a child too.
    I agree with this completely.

I also think that people should stop hassling those who CHOOSE to not have a child. We live in a far too pro-natalist world and the amount of grief that people give the childfree is absurd. They need to stop questioning them for their choice - childfree people don't go up to parents and ask "OMG WHY DID YOU HAVE KIDS?!" It works both ways. Us childfree DO know our own minds and have often put far more consideration into being such than some parents put into having a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielnkwocha)

Weeellll...
    fair point, well spotted I still hated comparing poetry though!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSeeber1)
    Nazism like?
    I accept that sterilisation may be going a bit far, but I firmly believe that there are a lot of people in this country who have children when they will not make suitable parents.

If the state was able to decide whether you were suitable to have kids or not then it would reduce or stop the number of children who are born to teenagers who can't cope with them, to drug addicts, to people who spend their lives bouncing in and out of prison, it would cut down the number of children who are thrown into the adoption system at birth, and it would reduce public spending on benefits.

As for national service, I can't see any negatives with it. It would make a hell of a difference to a lot of young people, they would learn how to structure their lives, by the time they were finished they wouldn't shy away from hard work, it would teach them respect for authority, and in three years of military service you can easily train in skills which would provide you with a good foundation for a job outside of the armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Legalisation of marijuana.
    I thought this was a place to post unpopular opinions !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoTown200)
    Gay marriage is wrong
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Christopher Ecclestone was the best Doctor
    Big Bang Theory is overrated
    Rice pudding is disgusting
    Miranda Hart isn't as funny as she thinks she is
    FIFA is dull as heck

ReputationRep:
    1) Robert Pattinson is ugly imo

2) People who listen to alternative music and claim to know what "real" music is are *****. I listen to alternative music but don't think I'm above anyone else.

3) People who are over 30 on this site really need to get off. It's a student site. Not a site for the middle aged. Your youth is over. deal with it

4) I find people who do arts to be quite pretentious most of the time. Not all, but A LOT.

5) Mila Kunis is waaaaay overrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Progra)
    Globally a one child policy should be implemented (With consequences if not abided) for multiple tens or hundred years to over time bring world population back down. As it stands today, the world is far over populated and will only continue to be otherwise.
    Birth rates are falling in civilised countries, which are the only places where such a limit would be implemented or enforced. The rising population is actually due to people living longer; if we impose strict birth controls, who's going to look after them? What's your next big idea, culling the elderly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    I accept that sterilisation may be going a bit far, but I firmly believe that there are a lot of people in this country who have children when they will not make suitable parents.

If the state was able to decide whether you were suitable to have kids or not then it would reduce or stop the number of children who are born to teenagers who can't cope with them, to drug addicts, to people who spend their lives bouncing in and out of prison, it would cut down the number of children who are thrown into the adoption system at birth, and it would reduce public spending on benefits.
    I too had this idiotic opinion once-upon-a-time. Then I realised that not only does this set a precedent of state intervention in our lives that is borderline fascistic, but the practical complications of trying to implement this system are too great to make it feasible. How will the state 'decide'? Force people to go through an adoption-style screening process before having kids? That is the most humane possibility I can think of. What this would produce would be the 'teenagers who can't cope with them, to drug addicts, to people who spend their lives bouncing in and out of prison' of which you speak eschewing this command and going ahead anyway and the very responsible, law-abiding functional people you would want having kids taking the trouble to go through it. It wouldn't have any teeth to punish those who had children anyway, unless you want to live in a society where forced abortions/forced adoption is commonplace / most likely already hard-up prospective parent(s) are materially sanctioned immediately before having to take care of a newborn child.

It's an extremely idealistic idea which would never work in practice and also has the undercurrents of authoritarianism flowing through its veins. No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I actually quite like some of Justin Biebers music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    I actually quite like some of Justin Biebers music.
    HEATHEN :mob:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackS94)
    I can't stand The Godfather...the movie's just too old! (and it insists upon itself )
    The Family Guy reference just killed me :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I think that people who sign on should have to sign on everyday at 9am with buses outside to take the people to factories, call centres, warehouses,litter picking and farms to do an honest days work. At the end of the day they'll get a nice wage (Same as minium wage) which is more than job seekers and the people who aren't willing to do that shouldn't get any benefits. If the people don't work properly or slack they won't be paid or get any benefit. It will lower Europeans in the UK as there won't be jobs in agriculture etc as British people will be doing them.

It won't matter if someone has a PhD, one eye or no qualifications they'll take any jobs given to them. What happened to a nation who worked and supported ourselves. I'm sick of people who claim 'there's no jobs'just because nothing is going at Topshop or at Mcdonalds. Is Mcdonalds that bad? No its not. Is it the worse job out there? no.

Also, if someone has a second child who hasn't worked since they had the first they won't get any other benefits except food tokens and school uniform allowance. I know one family (they're lovely!) who has 7 childs, a large 5 bed house and the mother or father has never worked. And they've just fitted a 8 grand carpet and two grand bedroom furniture set. Umm.. how on earth has that happened!!

Oh, and 15-year-old girls at school should be fitted with birth control for 5 years unless the parents opt out for the scheme.

Btec shouldn't be rated as highly as A-levels.. respected never the less just not rated so highly. Is distinction in Child care really the same as three As in the sciences A-level?

Gay people should be allowed to get married and have the same rights as hetrosexuals just not within religious places of worship.

ReputationRep:
    Legalise drugs
    Privatise the NHS
    I can't stand people who aren't very good at maths
    Lower taxes for the rich
    Bring back death penalty
    Abortion should only happen when the woman was raped or the woman could die
    All Hereditary peers should be returned to House of Lords
    Monarchy should have more power
    Hate smoking ban and hate hunting ban
    Bring back death penalty
    I like Mitt Romney
    Voting should be 21 and over and tied to owning property or land
    I find homosexuality disgusting and immoral

ReputationRep:
    (preparing for negs) too many people claim to be "full time mums/parents".. when the child is young and not in school yet then fair enough, you can stay at home and look after them. However if all your kids are off at school throughout the day, there is nothing to stop the parent going into some form of employment, in this case full time parent can become a different way to say unemployed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I think that people who sign on should have to sign on everyday at 9am with buses outside to take the people to factories, call centres, warehouses,litter picking and farms to do an honest days work. At the end of the day they'll get a nice wage (Same as minium wage) which is more than job seekers and the people who aren't willing to do that shouldn't get any benefits. If the people don't work properly or slack they won't be paid or get any benefit. It will lower Europeans in the UK as there won't be jobs in agriculture etc as British people will be doing them.

It won't matter if someone has a PhD, one eye or no qualifications they'll take any jobs given to them. What happened to a nation who worked and supported ourselves. I'm sick of people who claim 'there's no jobs'just because nothing is going at Topshop or at Mcdonalds. Is Mcdonalds that bad? No its not. Is it the worse job out there? no.
    I understand where you're coming from but it can be a difficult system to implement, not to mention there are some people who really just can't work or have medical conditions that prevent them from having the stable and consistent ability to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings0)
    HEATHEN :mob:
    Oh grow up. Onto another unpopular opinion - I hate the word heathen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4INBOW)
    3) People who are over 30 on this site really need to get off. It's a student site. Not a site for the middle aged. Your youth it over. deal with it
    There are plenty of students over the age of 30. Especially with the Open University where some people are in their 80/90s. Why should studying only be the pursuit of young people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Oh grow up. Onto another unpopular opinion - I hate the word heathen.
    I jest, my friend. Hence the amusing gif, which i feel befits this thread rather well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.