World Cup 2022 to be played in the winter. Watch

fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
aside from all the practical things (like building 40,000 seater stadiums in villages etc)

my main reason for not wanting it in winter, is that summer will be bloody boring! (football-wise)
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
FA chairman Greg Dyke says his organisation will back any plan to move the 2022 World Cup to the winter months.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...2022-world-cup
I'll be intrigued by how Scudamore responds to this as Bernstien, Dyke's predecessor, was very much in tune from the PL hymn sheet. Dyke's combustible and strong minded so could be issues here with the PL but Scudamore, in an interview I saw, seemed to put the decision at FIFA's door and sorta said if it happens then it happens which was different from his stronger stances.

People questioning Qatar's anti-homosexual laws should take a look into Russia's law (which forbides homosexuality information given to under 18s) which is being protested against ahead of the 2014 Winter Olympics and calls for boycott. Stephen Fry suggests a cross armed protest so if Qatar's rules didn't adjust (which they will I'd say before 2022) so then could players, supporters do this protest during the WC - rather than use Qatar's law as a reason not for a tournament to take place there? Would be a valid option I'd say.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OK, how about this World Cup be held during December 2022 instead of February 2022? No clash with Winter Olympics, the break can be accommodated well by the leagues with August to May seasons and the only thing to lose out would be the Club World Cup which no one really cares about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads