Do you brush your teeth before or after breakfast? Watch

This discussion is closed.
thers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Always after breakfast. I'm surprised by the number on here that brush before breakfast.
Hyde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why are so many people over concerned about bacteria in their mouth. There is a dei m difference between hygiene and paranoia - how long have humans survived whilst having bacteria in their mouth? Stop being softies.
frankieboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by miser)
I read on the NHS website that brushing before eating is preferable, as having food in your mouth (especially acids, such as in sugars and fruit juice) can soften your teeth's enamel, causing you to reduce the enamel while brushing.

This is what my dentist told me. Especially after eating fruit or sugar, best to not brush them but drink some water instead, or mouthwash with water. Eat a mint if worried about breath.

Trouble with manically brushing your teeth all the time just because of some imaginary "hygeine" reason or because of some neurosis is that under some circumstances, you could actually be damaging your teeth rather than helping them. The key is to learn when and when not to brush.
tealover96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before...I'm used to it now.
Probably just cos it's effort to keep climbing up and down stairs
frankieboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hyde)
Why are so many people over concerned about bacteria in their mouth. There is a dei m difference between hygiene and paranoia - how long have humans survived whilst having bacteria in their mouth? Stop being softies.
Correct.

I think the American tooth mentaility has something to do with it, it's found it's way across to us in the last few years. Everyone seems obsessed with having fake looking "flawless" bright white teeth that look like a piano keyboard, and thinking that because they "look" or feel clean that they actually are.. Natural tooth colour is quite far off white as it goes.

Too much emphasis put on bleaching to look fake rather than, for example, bottle brushing/flossing which is the main way you can protect your breath (scrub them all you want but if you don't clean between them you might as well not bother).
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hyde)
Well, none of us have died yet from mouth bacteria so stop being paranoid.
Maybe that reply didn't come across as sarcastically as it was intended!
TritonSails
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
I've not read through the whole thread, but do you brush your teeth during the day as well? Imagine how stinky and bacteria ridden your mouth must be in the evening having ingested two meals and having not been brushed for at least 12 hours!
...well, yes, that's why we brush our teeth before we go to bed. What is your point?
frankieboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TritonSails)
What's wrong with eating while having 'all that bacteria still in your mouth'?
Exactly. Also, all "what" bacteria? Brushing your teeth doesn't necessarily kill ALL the bacteria in your mouth. I think this imaginary build up of bacteria overnight is nothing to worry about.

I suspect that even after brushing, a mouth will still contain loads of bacteria, it's part of our defence mechanism. It's an illusion to think that somehow brushing them is going to get rid of it.
SignsOfTheHour
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bacteriafast is unhealthy food, so I do brush my teeth before!
Canaduh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I rinse my mouth with water before eating breakfast and then brush after eating.

Started this when I first got braces and I've kept the same routine today haha
AspiringMedic8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile
I brush them before breakfast, I don't enjoy eating unless my teeth are clean! (I usually use mouthwash after breakfast though just to make sure my breath is fresh when I leave the house)
thes3rc4n
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
after.
reallt ı didnt think that why ı dont brush my teeth before
moonriver96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Always always before. Cant stand morning smelll/taste in your mouth. Which is weird considering i always brush before going to bed.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
During.
hskjlclcn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After, the taste of anything otherwise is ruined and with most things eaten i.e. marmite on toast brushing before would be ridiculous.
Like_A_G6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before because I usually talk to people whilst eating breakfast. Why would you want others to smell your horrid morning breath?

I rinse my mouth after though
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Usually after I feel like I need to brush them again if I brush them before breakfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've never understood the logic behind brushing before. You're just cleaning then and then getting them dirty, what's the point in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mangamaan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShadowWolf21)
Well, seeing as I brush my teeth before going to bed, I've satisfied my belief of reducing some bacteria before the morning. But throughout the day, there's always bacteria in your mouth, no matter what you do. So, I brush my teeth after eating any meal. Including breakfast. To do it before eating changes the taste of my food, which isn't preferable. But after eating, and I've brushed my teeth, I have a nice minty freshness.

I suppose everyone's different
Your enamel is going to disappear before you hit your menopause.
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bloxorus)
I've never understood the logic behind brushing before. You're just cleaning then and then getting them dirty, what's the point in that?

Also to people saying its bad for your teeth to brush after because your brushing away enamel, I've brushed after my whole life and never had any problems with my teeth or a single filling etc so it can't be that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads