Wait, I didn't get any feedback yet....

but I got my expenses paid!
plmnb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by twith)
I've heard mine too, they didn't clarify location though, but I think there was only one place it could be for my business area
what did you get? What AC were u at?
markusmerkus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For someone who has "dodged a bullet" after "nailing" assessment centre, it's pretty funny that you seem so fascinated about this all, Driller24...

It was disappointing to be rejected but take it on the chin and move on. The way you're coming across (bitter) is only justifying that decision.

Well done those who got offered something. Top work.
driller24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by markusmerkus)
For someone who has "dodged a bullet" after "nailing" assessment centre, it's pretty funny that you seem so fascinated about this all, Driller24...

It was disappointing to be rejected but take it on the chin and move on. The way you're coming across (bitter) is only justifying that decision.

Well done those who got offered something. Top work.
Hey Markus, I've already said well done to those who got the thumbs up so you can scratch the bitterness argument. I might be disappointed after hearing the feedback which guess what.. we havent heard yet despite being told we would receive it a week ago.

Can you guess why I am asking what the divisions are and where the locations are and what the job entails??? Oh yes thats right because we weren't given any clue from the assessment centre.. The more I know the more I can make an informed decision for next years programme.

hope the penny's dropped

driller24
driller24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chiliman14)
Guys, you'll never believe it!!

Wait, I didn't get any feedback yet....

but I got my expenses paid!
Hey expenses back, not too shabby, haven't had mine back yet but they will probably want to give everyone their money back before unleashing feedback lol
plmnb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shahaab)
Got the location i wanted, division was my 3rd choice, but im ecstatic nonetheless. Theyve got the point across that we are being `groomed` so to speak to become leaders in some capacity in the business after the two years. Thats why its vital we get an understanding of all business roles and not ones we want to do neccesarily. The MSC is only being offered to the 30 who got accepted, i havnt heard of any actual employees being allowed to participate yet. So it shows the level of investment theyve put in to the programme, plus such a programme on your CV is goldust. To those who didnt get accepted, its a case that you just wern`t good enough for a position at this moment in time. I wish you the best of luck in the future.
good luck! where are you based & what are you in roughly if you don't mind? I totally agree, get a picture of the business for 2 years in the division we've been given & then we are open to go anywhere!
M1011
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by driller24)
You need to stop obsessing on this feedback. It won't make any difference to anything. If they didn't write it immediately (in which case you'd have it), then surely common sense tells you it's just going to be generic waffle.

Got the location i wanted, division was my 3rd choice, but im ecstatic nonetheless. Theyve got the point across that we are being `groomed` so to speak to become leaders in some capacity in the business after the two years. Thats why its vital we get an understanding of all business roles and not ones we want to do neccesarily. The MSC is only being offered to the 30 who got accepted, i havnt heard of any actual employees being allowed to participate yet. So it shows the level of investment theyve put in to the programme, plus such a programme on your CV is goldust. To those who didnt get accepted, its a case that you just wern`t good enough for a position at this moment
in time. I wish you the best of luck in the future.
Not to be negative, but you need to wind back your blind optimism. Every person on every graduate scheme is being groomed to become a leader according to the marketing pitch, but guess what; no business actually has room for 30 leaders. As for the MSc, have they given ANY information about it yet? I really don't see how you can get to the gold dust conclusion based on nothing. The scheme may have potential, but it's far from proven.

Your last line is rather condescending to the others that applied. How do you know who was good enough? Do you really think that it's as black and white as that in a job interview? It's about finding the right personality fit and career aspirations as well. Try to have a more mature attitude.
emptyspace1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Still not heard. If I don't get London I'm going to be so annoyed!
markusmerkus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got the location i wanted, division was my 3rd choice, but im ecstatic nonetheless. Theyve got the point across that we are being `groomed` so to speak to become leaders in some capacity in the business after the two years. Thats why its vital we get an understanding of all business roles and not ones we want to do neccesarily. The MSC is only being offered to the 30 who got accepted, i havnt heard of any actual employees being allowed to participate yet. So it shows the level of investment theyve put in to the programme, plus such a programme on your CV is goldust. To those who didnt get accepted, its a case that you just wern`t good enough for a position at this moment in time. I wish you the best of luck in the future.
I would be very, very careful, old boy.
If you think they're not reading this thread then you'd be very badly mistaken.

Save the patronising put-downs for when you've actually signed the contract (or made it as a partner at one of the "big 4").
markusmerkus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by M1011)
You need to stop obsessing on this feedback. It won't make any difference to anything. If they didn't write it immediately (in which case you'd have it), then surely common sense tells you it's just going to be generic waffle.

Not to be negative, but you need to wind back your blind optimism. Every person on every graduate scheme is being groomed to become a leader according to the marketing pitch, but guess what; no business actually has room for 30 leaders. As for the MSc, have they given ANY information about it yet? I really don't see how you can get to the gold dust conclusion based on nothing. The scheme may have potential, but it's far from proven.

Your last line is rather condescending to the others that applied. How do you know who was good enough? Do you really think that it's as black and white as that in a job interview? It's about finding the right personality fit and career aspirations as well. Try to have a more mature attitude.
Given the fact he posted his full name three posts before (Shahaab Qaisar), I wonder if the internal resourcing department at Capita may have a word with him about offering out his own "feedback" to unsuccessful candidates?

Or if, perhaps alternatively, someone might alert them to this "feedback" when they give out their "alternative" feedback? I mean, surely it's important they should know one of their "future leaders" has decided to input some his own recruitment "strategy"?
M1011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by markusmerkus)
Given the fact he posted his full name three posts before (Shahaab Qaisar), I wonder if the internal resourcing department at Capita may have a word with him about offering out his own "feedback" to unsuccessful candidates?

Or if, perhaps alternatively, someone might alert them to this "feedback" when they give out their "alternative" feedback? I mean, surely it's important they should know one of their "future leaders" has decided to input some his own recruitment "strategy"?
I wouldn't get too carried away. It appears to be a thoughtless rather than malicious statement

Not sure what big 4 partners have to do with it all?
zinclysine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think its a matter of "you're not good enough". Its more the second part of what Shahaab has said " its a case that you just weren't good enough for a position at this moment in time."

If you didn't fit their needs, its a shame. For example, they might have needed only 1 person for Financial Services but had 10 people who they could consider for that.

Alternatively, they needed 4 people for customer services and only 3 people were genuinely suitable. Which also means, that someone who was less than what they wanted was put into that role when they're not a natural fit, but a potential competent fit.

i.e. someone potentially less competent that you was taken on because they could at least see them going into that role. Whilst despite you may have much higher raw talent, they didn't have space for you right now.
And considering Shahaab got his 3rd choice, might even be the case for him that he's just not good enough to be a number 1 choice for any division, but a potential "mould".

I met Shahaab at the AC and I'm genuinely glad he got it. I thought he has the potential to succeed in this type of role. However, as his comments show; he clearly has room for improvement too.

The comments above do come off as somewhat patronising / condensing The reality is, he doesn't know why you did not receive and offer and its not his job to comment on it. If anything, he needs to learn about diplomacy and how his behaviour impacts on others. The real shame is, Capita haven't given out many official responses and are doing themselves a disservice. Saying that, I can only think of 3 jobs I got really valuable feedback over the past 6 years.

I would have liked to have received an offer as for me, I was trying to add a different element to my already established career. I'm rather ambitious and wanted to ensure I would be at the top level within an organisation in my 40s/50s. I have an established career and was quite specific with them that I only intended to work in those streams. So it might even be that I was too narrow an option for them. Until they speak to me (which it seems unlikely), I'll never know.

However, I was under no illusions either, which it appears many of the people here are.

They are not getting an Msc. The 2 year scheme only gets you a Post graduate Diploma.

Only successful graduates will go on to complete the third and final year for a full Masters Qualification.

At the end of the 2 year programme, graduates will be offered a permanent role in one of the business areas based on successful completion of the programme. i.e. they will have a cull of the 30 people they made offers to in the 18 - 24 month period and only a portion of these people will get the Msc. The rest are released.

This is the same as most graduate schemes, and typically only 50% are kept after the schemes for other companies.

So anyone who thinks they made "it," needs a reality check.

Your real test is just beginning.
littlea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The last line of this post is truly disgusting. I did not get accepted onto the scheme, however, I received a phone call from another graduate scheme when I was travelling home from the Capita Assessment Centre to tell me that they wanted me. Clearly I am a competent human being, as is everyone else who did not get accepted onto this placement. I was accepted by one company and rejected by another; surely this is proof that those of us who didn't get accepted are 'good enough for a position' but that Capita had a particular type of person in mind, or even just that we did perform to our best on that particular day.

Frankly, I hope Capita realise how rude and incorrigible you are and change their mind about hiring you. And next time you make a jibe such as 'its a case that you just wern`t good enough for a position at this moment in time' - try to spell and use grammar correctly.
M1011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fifitm)
He did not say anything wrong, and the impression I have from the company from actually being accepted on the grad scheme they would not have someone reading this thread, and if they did they would not dislike what was said here. If any threads are going to be disliked though it would be some of the earlier comments made by others, especially those wishing to reapply..
He did say something wrong. You're blind if you can't see how unprofessional/condescending/ignorant his last comment was. Not to mention his entire pitch about the scheme being gold dust when evidently he knows nothing about it.

(Original post by zinclysine)
I don't think its a matter of "you're not good enough". Its more the second part of what Shahaab has said " its a case that you just weren't good enough for a position at this moment in time."

If you didn't fit their needs, its a shame. For example, they might have needed only 1 person for Financial Services but had 10 people who they could consider for that.

Alternatively, they needed 4 people for customer services and only 3 people were genuinely suitable. Which also means, that someone who was less than what they wanted was put into that role when they're not a natural fit, but a potential competent fit.

i.e. someone potentially less competent that you was taken on because they could at least see them going into that role. Whilst despite you may have much higher raw talent, they didn't have space for you right now.
And considering Shahaab got his 3rd choice, might even be the case for him that he's just not good enough to be a number 1 choice for any division, but a potential "mould".

Yes, but just to be clear this isn't what Shahaab said. You've taken a more mature attitude, whereas that guy just came across as a clueless idiot in that post.

There's also a huge amount of other things that come in to play; the right person for the finance team (Financial Services are what banks do btw) at Capita might not be the same as the right person for a finance team at *insert company*. Similarly, performance on the day can have a big impact. Also, like you say, competition might be fiercer for certain roles so the strongest 30 candidates aren't necessarily the 30 chosen.

Incidentally I find it astonishing that people are getting positions in their third choice areas, considering the value most companies place on candidates dedication to the role they are applying for. That's not to say it won't be a good scheme, but evidently Capita have a learning curve for future years.

I met Shahaab at the AC and I'm genuinely glad he got it. I thought he has the potential to succeed in this type of role. However, as his comments show; he clearly has room for improvement too.
Let's hope it's not a customer facing role.

However, I was under no illusions either, which it appears many of the people here are.

They are not getting an Msc. The 2 year scheme only gets you a Post graduate Diploma.

Only successful graduates will go on to complete the third and final year for a full Masters Qualification.

At the end of the 2 year programme, graduates will be offered a permanent role in one of the business areas based on successful completion of the programme. i.e. they will have a cull of the 30 people they made offers to in the 18 - 24 month period and only a portion of these people will get the Msc. The rest are released.
You're the first person to put some insight in to the qualification on here, I'm sure other candidates will thank you. From what I've read on this forum it appears the marketing pitch was rather misleading which I guess is why nobody seemed to know what was going on with it, but I guess everybody should be going in their with the intention of being in the top 50% anyway. No point aiming to fail!

This is the same as most graduate schemes, and typically only 50% are kept after the schemes for other companies.

So anyone who thinks they made "it," needs a reality check.

Your real test is just beginning. [/FONT]
I think you're a little off base here. Ordinarily graduate schemes offer permanent positions, it's very rare for a scheme to cut the intake in half after two years.
zinclysine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by M1011)
There's also a huge amount of other things that come in to play; the right person for the finance team (Financial Services are what banks do btw) at Capita might not be the same as the right person for a finance team at *insert company*.
I'm not sure how to answer this all myself without making me sound like a ****. So I will start with remember I didn't get it and I really wanted it myself despite all the "experience" I already have.

First off: I am aware what Financial Services. I work in it. And Capita also work in Financial Services. I know because I began my career with Capita in their FS work streams a few years ago. Its thanks to their training I've done really well since I left and why I wanted to go back. Trust me, the other companies for all their glamour are rubbish!

I'm not sure if you received feedback, however, if you said something like that during the assessment process, it would indicate the interviewer your lack of commercial awareness and knowledge of the company. i.e. it wouldn't help your cause.

The assessments are rigorous. And statistically, they have an 80% correlation with performance on the job. HR is a science and your comment / lack of knowledge demonstrates that they probably got the persons they wanted.

(Original post by M1011)
I think you're a little off base here. Ordinarily graduate schemes offer permanent positions, it's very rare for a scheme to cut the intake in half after two years.
I'm quite happy with my statement. Especially if we talk Big 4, or the "Up or Out Matrix" consultancy. Those places churn candidates.

I was part of an FS team that was cut in half by the end of the scheme and saw all of my closest friends leave. One year later, I even helped in the recruitment process for some new teams. They only keep the people they need and have proven they're going to go up / stay committed.

And I've worked for 3 of the world's biggest consultancies and one of this countries biggest banks. I also have older siblings and relatives within many commercial companies. 50% definitely happens on some schemes. I'm not saying this one will be 50%, however I've witnessed and know enough that yes, that is correct.

I still think Capita should give official statements to everyone. Its left a lot of people sour and confused.

Just a thought:

I worked for the world's biggest consultancy on my internship.

Then the Financial Crisis happened.

I graduated during that whole mess and I did really well to get to the JP Morgan Operations Assessment Centre. However they only had 10 spaces that year when normally they said they'd have 60. They didn't even assess 60 that year and I placed just outside number 10.

I was however invited back to the Assessment Centre a year later after re-applying. The HR women were the same and said they were glad to see I re-applied. It was much bigger and they had a lot more spaces. However there was a lot more competition too and I didn't get it. That year, compared to everyone else, I scored lower.

I look back and find it funny. I was good enough one year, but unlucky they didn't have spaces.
The following year, they had spaces, however the competition against me had gotten much better.

Don't be disheartened by life. There's certainly luck to it.

I know I used to feel like "Why is my best, just not good enough?"
(and some of that's simply not being the right 'fit' or cultural background)

I've since gone on and had a good career with Capita and then two of the big four. Right now I enjoy working in banking and I even had the fun of making six figures last year (one off opportunity, but still good).

This was the last opportunity I'll ever have for a scheme like this as I've hit the limit of their considerations since graduating.

In time, everyone finds out they're good enough. One thing I know because I've been around the houses:
every company markets how wonderful they are and their scheme.

Once you move about in an industry a bit, you realise how many people have worked where you have too. And that a job is whatever you want it to be. I know that the most successful people I know, especially the wealthiest are non-grad scheme people and not even top level uni either. I think people who go onto a grad scheme and only know that one place end up with a delusional view of how wonderful their only experience is compared to everyone and everywhere else.

I think Capita train better than anywhere else I have been. However, I've have earned a lot more and been promoted faster by leaving. Heck, tbh, I've earned more than if I had gotten that job at JP Morgan. I know because my cousin was lucky enough to get it later. And in hindsight, knowing what it entails, I've got a better job now because of what I was involved with at Capita (funny how your first job can set you down an unintended career path).

Everywhere can be the right place given the right time and opportunity and finally what you make of it.
M1011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure how to answer this all myself without making me sound like a ****. So I will start with remember I didn't get it and I really wanted it myself despite all the "experience" I already have.
Apologies if it wasn't clear from my posts, I wasn't an applicant.

First off: I am aware what Financial Services. I work in it. And Capita also work in Financial Services. I know because I began my career with Capita in their FS work streams a few years ago. Its thanks to their training I've done really well since I left and why I wanted to go back. Trust me, the other companies for all their glamour are rubbish!

I'm not sure if you received feedback, however, if you said something like that during the assessment process, it would indicate the interviewer your lack of commercial awareness and knowledge of the company. i.e. it wouldn't help your cause.

The assessments are rigorous. And statistically, they have an 80% correlation with performance on the job. HR is a science and your comment / lack of knowledge demonstrates that they probably got the persons they wanted.
My bad, wasn't aware they were in that market. Like I mentioned above, not an applicant so I've no particular in depth knowledge of Capita. Just been browsing the thread.

I'm quite happy with my statement. Especially if we talk Big 4, or the "Up or Out Matrix" consultancy. Those places churn candidates.
I work at a Big 4. Your rather twisting the situation don't you think? Many people choose to leave the Big 4 post qualification for new opportunities (50% being a realistic figure), but they are leaving voluntarily. They don't fire people ordinarily (exams aside), although they may choose not to promote low performers. I've not seen or heard of anyone leaving involuntarily outside of exam fails or malpractice.

I was part of an FS team that was cut in half by the end of the scheme and saw all of my closest friends leave. One year later, I even helped in the recruitment process for some new teams. They only keep the people they need and have proven they're going to go up / stay committed.

And I've worked for 3 of the world's biggest consultancies and one of this countries biggest banks. I also have older siblings and relatives within many commercial companies. 50% definitely happens on some schemes. I'm not saying this one will be 50%, however I've witnessed and know enough that yes, that is correct.
I'm sorry, it's not correct. Whatever you may have witnessed pales in comparison to the amount of publicly available information, on this forum for a start. The majority of graduate schemes offer permanent positions. Of course cuts may happen (particularly in 2008), but it is rare to be on a graduate scheme that specifically outlines that only half the candidate will make it as you described. I offer you to name examples of schemes which forcibly cut half their graduates after 2/3 years?

I still think Capita should give official statements to everyone. Its left a lot of people sour and confused.
It would appear that way. Hopefully they'll learn.

Just a thought:

I worked for the world's biggest consultancy on my internship.

Then the Financial Crisis happened.

I graduated during that whole mess...[cut]

I've since gone on and had a good career with Capita and then two of the big four. Right now I enjoy working in banking and I even had the fun of making six figures last year (one off opportunity, but still good).
Since 2008 (I'm guessing giving the above), you've worked at two of the Big 4, Capita and a Bank? Four big companies in five years? You weren't on grad schemes at the big 4 I presume (given 3 years)? What were you doing there?

So you're telling me despite all this experience and a six figure salary last year, you have chosen to try and join a grad scheme (in it's first year of existence) on 28k with fresh graduates at a company you've already worked for and left?

Sorry to doubt your story, but it doesn't exactly seem to make sense and you're totally new here..
plmnb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emptyspace1)
It was supposed to be today but I haven't heard anything either
Did you hear yet?
plmnb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by twith)
I've heard mine too, they didn't clarify location though, but I think there was only one place it could be for my business area
What div / location you in?
emptyspace1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by plmnb)
Did you hear yet?

Not yet. Spoke to person sorting it out and they were finalising the last few placements. Think some of the divisions are being slower than others.
M1011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First off its clear my comments have caused a furore of replies from the members of this forum. Apologies to anyone with which grievances lie in my last comment, I meant no offence. Instead of "its a case", "it may be the case" may have been better suited to the closing lines of my comment. I wont expand upon all the comments but my remark was more toward the negative comments towards not receiving feedback or an offer and not toward those whom were gracious enough to move on. To the "clueless idiot" comment, to you it may be the case, but to the assessors it evidently was not.
Woaaaaa, burned me. That's right friend, you can say whatever you like with complete immunity because you got a thumbs up from a HR team :thumbsup:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (72)
75.79%
No (23)
24.21%

Watched Threads