Shameless money saving tactics at university Watch

This discussion is closed.
emmajade95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jack93o)
I'm genuinely interested in this, because I hear supermarkets would rather dump leftover stock

and how does it even work? do they literally have reduced price tags on all their items on display?
I work at ASDA and there is meant to be no waste at the end of each day, even if it means reducing items to 5p. A store will get in trouble and cannot lie about the amount of waste because it all gets scanned. Things that get reduced are items with that sell by date on (but some don't have to be eaten for another week), so breads, cakes and anything in fridges You can get some really good deals!
Fashion Girl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
  • stock up on butter with the tiny butter packets they hand out at the cafeteria in halls :cool: !
  • if its a month till the semester is to be over, then do not wash clothes until i go back home to chuck all of it in the washing machine :dance: !
  • eat other ppl's bread - but this is only because they ate my salad :argh: ! (shared fridge in halls)
  • eat only noodles and cheese for lunch - all.the.time. !
  • eat only choco and healthy carrot cakes as snacks (the tesco ones are really cheap :cookie:) - all.the.time. !
  • look longingly at the Pizza Express pizzas at Sainsbury's and just get Chinese and salad instead for dinner :eating: !
  • too many to remember at the same time........... !
Jack93o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emmajade95)
I work at ASDA and there is meant to be no waste at the end of each day, even if it means reducing items to 5p. A store will get in trouble and cannot lie about the amount of waste because it all gets scanned. Things that get reduced are items with that sell by date on (but some don't have to be eaten for another week), so breads, cakes and anything in fridges You can get some really good deals!
I'm going to try ASDA this week. I went into tesco last week at around 11pm and found nothing reduced :confused:
emmajade95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jack93o)
I'm going to try ASDA this week. I went into tesco last week at around 11pm and found nothing reduced :confused:
It's more like 8/9pm. There are reductions all day (done about 3 times a day for chilled stuff) but the last ones are the really really cheap stuff but may be the less desirable things - fruit tends to go after the morning or afternoon reductions!
gijops
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cut down on the Gucci shopping

my negs all bring all the boys to the yard
Serenade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gijops)
cut down on the Gucci shopping
No way Gucci fo life #SWAG
Bodger & Badger
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One i've seen from various people:

Stretching the 5 second rule to the absolute max! loool
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
I don't understand what makes some of you so important? You may laugh now and say I'm overreacting but someone has to buy the buffet food, for a scruffy student to come along and steal it is frustrating to say the least, what would happen if everyone did it? There'd be none left.
Agreed, tbh. Participating in an event just for the food is fine, but just walking in and taking the food is a step too far.

As is turning up to a freshers' fair when you're not a fresher just to steal pens.

(Original post by Zuki)
Complain that the food wasn't of suitable quality to get another packet for free
This is a ****ty thing to do, too.

There's 'being very tight with money' and 'being a dishonest and generally ****ty person'.
Baraf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most supermarkets offer extreme reductions on their bakery goods after a certain time in the evening.

restaurants depending on your connections will give you food for free or action it off for a very low price.

Open meetings, events etc across London, in Mosques, Churches, Temples, Embassies etc offer free lunches, dinners.

if you smart, you can live in London and spend close to nothing on food, but your diet will be extremely varied and out of control, one day you will eat Halal the next day Kosher.
ColossalKrish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Baraf)
Most supermarkets offer extreme reductions on their bakery goods after a certain time in the evening.

restaurants depending on your connections will give you food for free or action it off for a very low price.

Open meetings, events etc across London, in Mosques, Churches, Temples, Embassies etc offer free lunches, dinners.

if you smart, you can live in London and spend close to nothing on food, but your diet will be extremely varied and out of control, one day you will eat Halal the next day Kosher.
How I live in London tell me how!
Pensivedore
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My motto last year: use-by dates are for the weak (unless it concerned meat obvs)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Asda self-checkout machines: any change in notes is dispensed at the bottom, the number of people who walk off without taking their £5 change is scary. A few times now I've taken someone else's fiver because they'd walked off and were nowhere in sight to give it back to them.

TV licences: if you get one then hold off getting one until a month or so into term, then pay on quarterly payments - on monthly payments by DD you pay for the entire year within the first 6 months, on quarterly you just pay for each quarter as you go, so when you move back home in the summer you can cancel the DD and you've only paid for 3/4 of the annual fee.
Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
TV licences: if you get one then hold off getting one until a month or so into term, then pay on quarterly payments - on monthly payments by DD you pay for the entire year within the first 6 months, on quarterly you just pay for each quarter as you go, so when you move back home in the summer you can cancel the DD and you've only paid for 3/4 of the annual fee.
I know a way to save even more money with regards to TV licenses

Spoiler:
Show
And by that, I of course mean watch everything on demand later on
consumed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dean01234)
I had friends that stole chairs and cutlery from the canteen because the house they were in provided no cutlery and only 2 chairs between 6 people.
Were they folding chairs?

That must take some serious ninja stealth skills to pull off.

And I'm just laughing at the idea of two chairs shared between six people. Did they have a seating timetable or was it first to sit?
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. Minesweeping

2. Minesweeping - but if it's a drink you really can't stand, offer it someone else and say they bought you a drink and they'll buy you one back

That's pretty bad
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Attending the multicultural events just for the free food.
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Gone from love of port and fine ales to drinking Frosty jacks and White lightning for pre drinks.
Pallas Athena
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AndyGreg)
If you shop at ASDA use your receipts and any others you can find in trolleys or blowing around the car park and check them on the price guarantee website, some times gives you a 10-30p voucher but some times can be up to 10 quid! Which you can use on any size shop! Works for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stupid question: What does "which you can use on any size shop" exactly mean?
XXYYXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. Using the Math department's IT account to utilise their unlimited printer credits
2. Taking printer paper from the Workstation rooms to use with my own printer
3. Bulk ordering expired food on http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/ (all tasted great so far, though the price may have biased my opinion)
4. Stumbling into an African & Caribbean Society meeting with a friend after having seen the buffet table through the window - we were the only white people.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sneha.vag)
Stupid question: What does "which you can use on any size shop" exactly mean?
Probably means you can use it in any size asda store, not just the massive superstores but also the smaller convenience asdas.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (252)
27.21%
No (674)
72.79%

Watched Threads