Why are models so thin? Watch

Becky15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
That's not comparable.

You paint pictures - for people to look at it.
You write songs - for people to listen to it.
You design clothes - for people to wear.

The designers think their clothes for their fashion show is just a piece of art they like to show off their talents and how far they can go.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Becky15)
The designers think their clothes for their fashion show is just a piece of art they like to show off their talents and how far they can go.
So making it for the sake of it?

:lolwut:
Harley
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's not comparable.

You paint pictures - for people to look at it.
You write songs - for people to listen to it.
You design clothes - for people to wear.
Haute couture is for people to look at just like a painting would be. It shows the skills of the designer and people enjoy looking at the designs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Becky15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So making it for the sake of it?

:lolwut:

Its showing the competition what you're capable of.
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JordanR)
From wikipedia:

The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Anecdotal evidence is considered dubious support of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence. This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, such as evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts.

What you've given isn't scientific evidence, it's anecdotal evidence. Literally opposites of each other. What part of this is hard to understand?

Doctors with medical degrees aren't really the experts on this kinds of stuff either. They're not going to be the ones running actual real scientific experiments. The vast majority of doctors aren't involved in any kinds of research or anything whatsoever.
Are all of your posts about people using anecdotes instead of scientific evidence?

You have to understand that the purpose of this website isn't to have scientific debates. Some people just want to talk normally and not have to scrutinise all of their posts to make sure they are anecdote-free, have the appropriate evidence and have reliable sources.

You're acting like you're above everyone else simply because you know the scientific method. Just stop, it doesn't make you sound any smarter than other people.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but I don't have double-blind trial, peer reviewed evidence that you're a bit of a tosser.
JordanR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by andersson)
Are all of your posts about people using anecdotes instead of scientific evidence?

You have to understand that the purpose of this website isn't to have scientific debates. Some people just want to talk normally and not have to scrutinise all of their posts to make sure they are anecdote-free, have the appropriate evidence and have reliable sources.

You're acting like you're above everyone else simply because you know the scientific method. Just stop, it doesn't make you sound any smarter than other people.

Oh, and I'm sorry, but I don't have double-blind trial, peer reviewed evidence that you're a bit of a tosser.
>people make incorrect claims
>I prove them wrong using science
>people get buttmad when I ask them to prove their case using real evidence

top lel

And that's fine, honestly, if people want to delude themselves then go for it, but all these misconceptions get passed on to other people and lead to people thinking they're special snowflakes who can't put on a lb or lose one. This discourages people massively from trying to make the real changes in their lives because they're told from everyone that it's impossible

I don't understand how wanting facts in place of anecdotes in a discussion about physiology makes me a tosser, but alright, sure

the best comparison that one can make is that high fashion fashion shows are like the concept cars of the car world. Not showing people what's likely going to be used or available, but rather what's possible, the limits of what we can do
Economi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't get it, they're making one-off "clothes" for the sake of it? Wtf?
It's no different to painting a picture. It just happens to be worn. Fashion shows also influence trends in wearable clothing.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is no point in having a discussion with someone who is stuck in their own ways.

just because I like to base my opinions of measured objective fact instead of anecdotes from one girl on the internet it doesn't mean I am "stuck in my own way". I would rather think that you are the one who is stuck in your own way, since you're sticking to your beliefs staunchly even after being presented with proven science that contradicts what you say. All I'm asking for is a single piece of cited evidence to contradict my beliefs. I'm actually asking you to prove me wrong and provide me with appropriate evidence to change my opinion. I don't think that's me being stuck in my own ways -- if I was, I'd just be rejecting the idea that the opposite side can be true. Now who is that reminiscent of...?
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
>people make incorrect claims
>I prove them wrong using science
>people get buttmad when I ask them to prove their case using real evidence

top lel
You do realise this isn't 4chan, right? Get back to /sci/

Edit: Oh, and you aren't a tosser because you're asking for rational scientific reasoning, it's because of the way you type like you're so superior purely because you know how to properly debate.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You do realise this isn't 4chan, right? Get back to /sci/

Edit: Oh, and you aren't a tosser because you're asking for rational scientific reasoning, it's because of the way you type like you're so superior purely because you know how to properly debate.
not trying to greentext.

you know that > has been used as convention on the internet for years before 4chan even existed, right?

also, no, I don't browse /sci/. I haven't been on 4chan for a very long time, and when I do go there, I'm a /fit/izen.

Also, you try not coming across as a condescending ass while trying to explain to someone while their personal life stories are not valid forms of evidence in a debate. It's impossible. But it still has to be said.
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not trying to greentext.

you know that > has been used as convention on the internet for years before 4chan even existed, right?

also, no, I don't browse /sci/. I haven't been on 4chan for a very long time, and when I do go there, I'm a /fit/izen.
You can't blame me for thinking you were using 4chan's linguistics on TSR, not only is > the sign for greentexting on 4chan but the language you used like "top lel" and "buttmad" are commonly associated with 4chan. I accept that it's highly possible that > was used on the internet before 4chan though.
JordanR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can't blame me for thinking you were using 4chan's linguistics on TSR, not only is > the sign for greentexting on 4chan but the language you used like "top lel" and "buttmad" are commonly associated with 4chan. I accept that it's highly possible that > was used on the internet before 4chan though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater-than_sign

mostly go on reddit these days. well, only really fitness-related subs.
xoxblueberryxox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
I've good looking models facially before but their body kind of lets them down :curious:

PS: I'm talking mainly about fashion models btw.
i want to be a model/actress
SuicidalFeminist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Models are thin because apparently that's what people find attractive and of course the man ape's love looking at thin models!
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SuicidalFeminist)
The Models are thin because apparently that's what people find attractive and of course the man ape's love looking at thin models!
I just looked through all your posts - what the hell kind of point are you trying to make? You claim to be a feminist which is supposed to be a counter towards sexism to females, but you're being just as sexist (if not evenmore sexist) to males in the process through your consistent use of ridiculous generalisations about males.

What has made you so immature? Did you get rejected by a guy once and decided that all males are horrible monsters?
SuicidalFeminist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just looked through all your posts - what the hell kind of point are you trying to make? You claim to be a feminist which is supposed to be a counter towards sexism to females, but you're being just as sexist (if not evenmore sexist) to males in the process through your consistent use of ridiculous generalisations about males.

What has made you so immature? Did you get rejected by a guy once and decided that all males are horrible monsters?
I have seen men mistreat women way too many times! they think we are weak and don't know how to reply or stand up for ourselves! and yes i have been rejected/cheated on by men in the past and it has taught me to be a stronger and more independent woman who can do it on her own.
Little J
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have seen men mistreat women way too many times! they think we are weak and don't know how to reply or stand up for ourselves! and yes i have been rejected/cheated on by men in the past and it has taught me to be a stronger and more independent woman who can do it on her own.

Are you related to ISA by any chance?
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Once again, that's a massive generalisation. You're saying that every male will act in an exact way purely because a few guys you know did.

Anyway I've derailed the thread enough as it is, I'm not carrying this conversation on any further, but I think your views are silly. Bye.
SuicidalFeminist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Once again, that's a massive generalisation. You're saying that every male will act in an exact way purely because a few guys you know did.

Anyway I've derailed the thread enough as it is, I'm not carrying this conversation on any further, but I think your views are silly. Bye.
They are not silly, they may be a little emotionally driven but fundamentally they are sound! Women are still being treated as second class in the professional world with their pays being lower than men for the same job! Just look at the disparity in sports. rather sad times given we have apparently move into "modern" times.
im so academic
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little J)
Are you related to ISA by any chance?
??? I wouldn't say that kind of ****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads