Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gearoid94)
    The best way to find out is to ring the university admissions office and explain your situation, sometimes things online can be a bit ambiguous.
    Thanks for the advice will do now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    Thanks for the advice will do now
    Keep us updated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falling)
    Have you tried adjustment at all? I got a Durham offer through adjustment last year- so it's worth a shot I think!
    dropped them an email but would probably prefer to go to Nottingham than Durham

would only swap notts for LSE/Cambridge if i got it probably...could always try for a masters at LSe/Cambridge too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09034958349053)
    That is a point. Someone in one of my classes got their politics degree from notts and is now on a PGCE primary at cambridge. Unlike the former the latter actually trains you for something useful.
    Would my A levels be taken into account when applying for a Master/Postgrad?

The only thing i feel bad about going to Notts is that my A level's are being slightly 'wasted' aha as stupid as it sounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    Prestige Oxbridge vs Nottinham ?

Mountain vs molehill. enough said

I think someone might be a little bitter over being rejected by Nottingham, am I right Zenomorph? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ignore all my advice. I'm a bitter graduate who can't get a job with their Nottingham Politics degree so everything I say is a bit clouded by that. As far as I am concerned the department is a massive Ponzi scheme. I'm possibly the last person you should be listening to right now!
    No theres noone better to speak to than a Politics graduate from Notts haha, as id potentially be in the same scenario

what would you do in my position?
    1) Take year out and apply for Cambridge/Lse etc
    2) Go to notts and apply while at notts
    3) go to notts and not apply anywhere else

i got A*A*A and 100 UMS in all politics modules and some econ ones which id hope would counteracty my average gcse's and the fact im (potentially) at uni if i were to apply

ReputationRep:
    No theres noone better to speak to than a Politics graduate from Notts haha, as id potentially be in the same scenario

what would you do in my position?
    1) Take year out and apply for Cambridge/Lse etc
    2) Go to notts and apply while at notts
    3) go to notts and not apply anywhere else

i got A*A*A and 100 UMS in all politics modules and some econ ones which id hope would counteracty my average gcse's and the fact im (potentially) at uni if i were to apply
    What were your predicted grades?! I understand what you mean about wasting your grades, it also seems you're not living up to your potential. Do any people from from your school go to oxbridge? I'm surprised no one would have suggested it to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gearoid94)
    What were your predicted grades?! I understand what you mean about wasting your grades, it also seems you're not living up to your potential. Do any people from from your school go to oxbridge? I'm surprised no one would have suggested it to you.
    Predicted ABC aha, a lot of people from my school go oxbridge, about 20-30 every year
    My teachers and myself were suprised at the grardes as was I, ive had the ability but struggled to get in onto paper at times

I wouldn't go to uni at all given my time again but given the options you've given me i think you’ve got to pick 1) or 3)

2) Is a cop out. It doesn’t even look feasible according to this thread and has some undesirable consequences relating to housing. Say you were in Broadgate Park. Your hall friends have signed a contract for a house in November like mine did. You don’t commit waiting for Cambridge but you later get rejected. Who are you living with in second year?

I was happy to pick option (3) and go to Nottingham over places like LSE (didn’t apply to Oxbridge). I realised I didn’t want London. Liked the Nottingham campus, and the city which can be pretty cheap. I had accommodation for £55 a week in second year – try getting that in London . It just felt “right”, loved the city, the brilliant SU and I had a great three years there. The assessment methods played to my strengths. I wasn’t one to **** off to league tables like some on here.

Given all you’ve said on here you’re clearly not set on Nottingham so I can see you going for (1) A gap year allows you to grow up, earn money and gives me a second go at UCAS. I don’t see the problem in waiting a year. You’ll probably get into any top politics department bar Oxbridge with your grades.

A lot depends on future career plans? Take the person I mentioned on the PGCE. Her undergrad is merely a stepping stone to a decent bursary and a qualification of some use. Maybe an LSE/Cambridge degree opens more doors but equally it will be harder and you'll probably have less time for the equally important CV building.

I dunno!
    mm its difficult this i do love nottingham campus and the nightlife, but id probs regret not trying for oxbridge etc init

ReputationRep:
    suprisingly not. Sounds stupid, but im SO stressed out now haha, was looking forward to uni so much as well but i suppose reapplying to these unis would be the best thing to do

I think definately Cambridge over Oxford as they offer the course i want wheras Oxford only offer PPE, and they look at UMS over GCSES, considering i have 4 100 UMS's and most others 90+ , especially my Politics, got 100 UMS in both A2 modules! Also cambridge just seem a lot 'nicer' than oxford as weird as it sounds

Would nottingham accept me again do you reckon if i reapplied as a 'reserve'... considering i have A*A*A for an AAB-ABB course?
    Ah, I hear you.

I don't know Nottingham's procedures but I say go for it. You've got absolute top grades so the ball is in your court! Even if you don't get a place this year, you can apply next year and get an unconiditional.

Again, well done. Those are results anyone would be proud of!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest that you don't reapply solely to get into Oxbridge in particular - even with top grades they're still very hard to get into. But if you're not satisfied with going to Nottingham, you probably can afford to reapply to five "better" universities after a year (possibly including Oxford or Cambridge), and you'll most likely get an unconditional offer from at least one of them. So if you can think of five universities you'd rather go to than Nottingham (and are willing to wait a year for), it's probably a good idea to reapply.

Personally, I would do it, even if you like Nottingham as a city, and even though it involves a year's wait. 4 years go by very quickly, but your degree stays with you for your whole career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'd suggest that you don't reapply solely to get into Oxbridge in particular - even with top grades they're still very hard to get into. But if you're not satisfied with going to Nottingham, you probably can afford to reapply to five "better" universities after a year (possibly including Oxford or Cambridge), and you'll most likely get an unconditional offer from at least one of them. So if you can think of five universities you'd rather go to than Nottingham (and are willing to wait a year for), it's probably a good idea to reapply.

Personally, I would do it, even if you like Nottingham as a city, and even though it involves a year's wait. 4 years go by very quickly, but your degree stays with you for your whole career.
    are places like durham and warwrick that much better than nottingham career wise

ReputationRep:
    just to start off ive no hidden agenda i go to a welsh uni,congratulations on your grades!!
    just my personal opinion butvthink back to applicatipns, you chose nottingham for a reason. uni isnt just about the course and the oppurtunities its about the person and what you make out of it, uni is life skills and i think you need to ask yourslef where would you in ypur heart prefer to be, forget the whole an oxford degree is obviously better. you may do better at notts cos its your sort of environment and maybe thats why you chose it in the first place
    good luck in your decision if you havent already made it

ReputationRep:
    ive also had suggestions that i could take a year out, try and get an internship at a top company while reapplying?

ReputationRep:
    To get a first you need to feel happy and be good enough in comparison to the other students. It really depends on your needs and your longterm goals. Universities with only A*A*A* students are not allways offering the encouraging environment you need to succeed, but this is also down to character. Some will thrive at Oxbridge, some people don't.

The advantage of excellant grades is to be able to choose, not to be able to choose between two universities and then feel down your whole life if you fail.

ReputationRep:
    are places like durham and warwrick that much better than nottingham career wise
    I don't know what they're like for the particular course you're studying, but I get the impression that they're a bit more reputable on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    think a lot of people are missing that you have problems over a reference as you were expelled. With a bad reference your prospect of getting into the best universities is damaged. You will also have more difficulty getting a good job for a gap year and you need it quickly if it is to go on your UCAS form. You have an offer for a good university, I'd suggest you take it and try to get a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    think a lot of people are missing that you have problems over a reference as you were expelled. With a bad reference your prospect of getting into the best universities is damaged. You will also have more difficulty getting a good job for a gap year and you need it quickly if it is to go on your UCAS form. You have an offer for a good university, I'd suggest you take it and try to get a first.
    I'd agree with this - if you get a good first at Nottingham, you can still apply for Oxbridge for a Masters if you feel you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    I have sorted it with school. I am unexpelled

ReputationRep:
    dropped them an email but would probably prefer to go to Nottingham than Durham

would only swap notts for LSE/Cambridge if i got it probably...could always try for a masters at LSe/Cambridge too
    Ah fair enough! If you're happy with Nottingham, go for it. As others have said, there's no guarantee you'll get a place at LSE/Cambridge if you take a gap year. I think the Master's plan sounds good.

Either way I hope you're happy with your final decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falling)
    Ah fair enough! If you're happy with Nottingham, go for it. As others have said, there's no guarantee you'll get a place at LSE/Cambridge if you take a gap year. I think the Master's plan sounds good.

Either way I hope you're happy with your final decision

yep this is currently my plan. Go notts, work hard, get a 1st and hopefully some internships during summer along the way, then try go cambridge/lse etc for masters

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.