Women (76)
55.07%
pandabird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the mezzil)
No TSR does not, you choose to define yourself as a feminist.
How? :rolleyes:
RunningScotsman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
In the ways that matter, still men. Better career prospects, higher wages, don't have to carry children, fewer health problems until very old.
To be fair we don't really get a choice in that.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pandabird)
How? :rolleyes:
Nobody tells you that you are a feminist, nobody on here has authority over you. YOU have chosen to label yourself as a feminist, rather than say... an egalitarian.
Numan786
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Limebuddhist)
Ok, let's talk about how women are oppressed in the western world
-paid less, less likely to get promoted
-sexualised all the time (being harassed in the street, being felt up by strangers), as well as more serious sexual abuse such as rape
-men who feel contemptuous of women, see them as weaker and more stupid, objectify them (perfect example on this thread)
-under represented in many jobs, for example women's sport is highly underrated compared to men's
-expected to conform to much more rigorous physical societal norms, ie shaving all body hair, makeup
-often just judged on their bodies and attractiveness, but are either seen as frumpy or slutty
-more anorexia and disorders stemming from distorted body image, because more pressure is put on them to be attractive
-represented as over sexualised stereotypes and many films only have one token woman character as a live interest
-slut shamed, whereas men can have all the sex they want
-if they have children and they don't work they're seen as not contributing to society (as seen in this thread, even though if we didn't raise children where would society be?)
-however if they don't settle down it's assumed there's something wrong with them
-constantly being demonised by forums like these
just a few reasons, off the top of my head, but that's why there is positive discrimination in place, because men are prevalent in a lot of careers and women don't have a history of being more privileged so they don't have that natural advantage
Yh the image of being sexy is put on women by other women and they even put the image of all men having to be ripped with six packs being sexy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by buchanan700)
Women.
Sorry, but the ultimate privilege still comes from being a white man. No question. If you see battles you need to fight, then fight them, don't expect every one else to do it for you. Women after all have had to fight for countless years in order to get our voices heard. Did you know rape within marriage was still legal until 1991?
We still have:
-Rape culture
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-...b_3368577.html - especially read 'rape culture and politics)
-Everyday sexism, we can't walk down the street, even today, without encountering it!
(https://twitter.com/EverydaySexism)
-Unequal pay
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20223264)
-Extremely unrealistic expectations of beauty and body image.
(http://mediasmarts.ca/body-image/bod...-and-magazines)
-Domestic violence (89%, roughly speaking, victimised women. I know men are abused too, and there is growing support for you guys, but women are still the main victims.
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21372875)

I could go on.

Not to mention the absolutely henious crimes against women that go on every single second around the world.
http://womensrightsworldwide.org/

Guys still hold the power. End of.
What about the millions of men who are expected to get up in the morning to do the dangerous and difficult work that women wont or cant do? Where's the respect for the builder breaking his back to construct the buildings that women benefit from? How many female engineers are there in this country? Women prefer to study Sociology and talk *******s about rape culture and expect men to do the actual work right?

What about the fact men are expected to be bread-winners and be productive members of society whereas many women can live their entire life in a sort of extended adolescence living off the fruit of men's work?

What about the fact that if the country was invaded tomorrow, men would be expected and probably conscripted to their graves in our millions?

What about the fact women in court are seen as delicate little victims and get wrist slaps for crimes men would do serious time for?

What about the fact that a women in court will often get 50% of a man's own hard earned wealth for doing absolutely nothing?

What about the fact many women in their career can get ahead by flattering their pretty little eyes whereas men are expected to be productive? You dont mind being objectified then do you, anything to avoid actually having to work as hard as men
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A female teacher had a relationship with a 14 year old and got 2 years in prison just now. Jeremy Forrest got 5.5 years for a relationship with a 15 y/o.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mimi112
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
What about the millions of men who are expected to get up in the morning to do the dangerous and difficult work that women wont or cant do? Where's the respect for the builder breaking his back to construct the buildings that women benefit from? How many female engineers are there in this country? Women prefer to study Sociology and talk *******s about rape culture and expect men to do the actual work right?

What about the fact men are expected to be bread-winners and be productive members of society whereas many women can live their entire life in a sort of extended adolescence living off the fruit of men's work?

What about the fact that if the country was invaded tomorrow, men would be expected and probably conscripted to their graves in our millions?

What about the fact women in court are seen as delicate little victims and get wrist slaps for crimes men would do serious time for?

What about the fact that a women in court will often get 50% of a man's own hard earned wealth for doing absolutely nothing?

What about the fact many women in their career can get ahead by flattering their pretty little eyes whereas men are expected to be productive? You dont mind being objectified then do you, anything to avoid actually having to work as hard as men

check your privilege
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nobody tells you that you are a feminist, nobody on here has authority over you. YOU have chosen to label yourself as a feminist, rather than say... an egalitarian.

... Completely wrong, absolute bull ****e. I've been called a feminist numerous times on here... Who are you to say I haven't? Have you seen every reply to my posts?

Some people are so conceited, you think you know everything when it's glaringly obvious you know very little.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
... Completely wrong, absolute bull ****e. I've been called a feminist numerous times on here... Who are you to say I haven't? Have you seen every reply to my posts?

Some people are so conceited, you think you know everything when it's glaringly obvious you know very little.
I define myself as a patriot, but anybody who knows me would say that I actually dislike this country.

Just because you get called something, it does not mean you are. If you choose to consent to the label, then you become it.
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I have to be honest, based on the posts I've seen from you, you seem to think that all the problems with society can be attributed to men so it's no surprise you get called a feminist.
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I define myself as a patriot, but anybody who knows me would say that I actually dislike this country.

Just because you get called something, it does not mean you are. If you choose to consent to the label, then you become it.
Good for you.

You're defined by your actions, so actually generally you are.
username91207
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, I think each gender perceives the other to have privilege, because it's a lot easier to see and identify issues that may/do affect you personally. The reality is that both sexes have problems they have to deal with, and we should all be working together to work on ALL the issues we face.
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
I have to be honest, based on the posts I've seen from you, you seem to think that all the problems with society can be attributed to men so it's no surprise you get called a feminist.
Ohh the insult of being called a feminist.

I've been called a lot worse than that, believe me. :plz2:

So do you think all the problems with society are distributed completely evenly? Or attributed to mainly women?
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think privilege is down to gender in this country, it's got more to do with socioeconomics.
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
To be honest, I think each gender perceives the other to have privilege, because it's a lot easier to see and identify issues that may/do affect you personally. The reality is that both sexes have problems they have to deal with, and we should all be working together to work on ALL the issues we face.
Yeah, we're all biased, let's face that.
Deycallmeboo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
In the ways that matter, still men. Better career prospects, higher wages, don't have to carry children, fewer health problems until very old.
I agree being a girl myself, but I'm pretty sure we have less responsibilities and it is considered less manly if a man shows an emotion so you could say women are more privileged.
im not bothered about the wages side of things, in some areas of work, men are going to do a better job with a stronger anatomy and such like so therefore they should get paid more, should be on who could do the best job.
us western women are incredibly privileged compared to the women in third world countries that are seen as nothing more than an object </3
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ohh the insult of being called a feminist.

I've been called a lot worse than that, believe me. :plz2:

So do you think all the problems with society are distributed completely evenly? Or attributed to mainly women?
I think the problems of society are something that everyone contributes to somehow. We shouldn't be looking to attribute blame for them at all but rather trying to work out the best way to sort them out.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good for you.

You're defined by your actions, so actually generally you are.
Well you can be a feminist, or a egalitarian.

I'm the latter, but it's up to you.
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
I think the problems of society are something that everyone contributes to somehow. We shouldn't be looking to attribute blame for them at all but rather trying to work out the best way to sort them out.
But surely the best, if not only, method of solving a problem is to find the cause of it?
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well you can be a feminist, or a egalitarian.

I'm the latter, but it's up to you.
I don't feel I really deserve the label 'egalitarian' or even feminist because I don't actively do enough (or anything) to support equality, apart from rage on TSR. I'm just a person who speaks out against what she feels is unjust.

And I actually care more about animal rights/ conservation. Luckily there aren't more threads about that or you'll really see my crazy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (43)
23.89%
The paper was reasonable (79)
43.89%
Not feeling great about that exam (31)
17.22%
It was TERRIBLE (27)
15%

Watched Threads