We should shut down the lower ranked universities and bull courses - debate Watch

This discussion is closed.
fluttershy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The problem with these suggesting is always, first how do you choose which Universities to shut and which deserve to stay open, and how do you decide what courses are "bull" and what aren't? There might be some that are obvious, but there will be plenty that are not so easy to decide on.

When it comes to the first, what criteria are chosen? If you go for raking, for a start what is the cut-off? Then what ranking is used? There will be quite a few unis that are either side of the cut-off depending on what raking is used. When it important too, as some universities will changes place quite a bit each year. Do you take into account trends, or history? If you go for type (i.e close all post-92s or former polytechnics), what about those that are high in the rankings? Would you let a poor 60s university exist in preferance to a superiour former poly?
GeogBerry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS)
People studying their butts off at school and sixthform to go onto hard or useful-to-the-world courses such as medicine, dentistry, oxbridge degrees (hard, perhaps some bull subjects like classics tho), UCL, Imperial, engineering, law (unless at crappy unis like Uni of East London), english at Edinburgh etc AND those studying vocational courses at college like Plumbing, Engineering AND those going into employment are suffering for people who go to study at crappy universities such as Chichester, York St Johns, Bournemouth, Reading etc, who go to uni for the sake of it when they would probably be better off doing a vocational course at college or working.

Both get funding from the state, yet if the latter group where scrapped then the money saved could help those going on to study useful and respected stuff.

Discuss
I know Reading is not exactly first class, but why is it with a bunch of ex-polys?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GeogBerry)
I know Reading is not exactly first class, but why is it with a bunch of ex-polys?
With respect, not even a bunch of ex-Polys. Only Bournemouth was a Poly. York St John and Chichester were Institutes of Higher Education.
Umadbro?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
agree but lol at reading being a bad uni
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People are still discussing this???

Look, it doesn't make sense. There would just be a bottleneck for courses. It would not work. It is a petulant, ludicrous, cynical, suggestion.
simplylldxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sick of reading these posts; people should to go to the Uni of their choice not whether it's prestigious or not. It's what's comfortable to them, same with the degree choices; it's their decision with what they apply for as it's their future.
Why does it bother people?
PatrickB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS)
Yes I know, Classics at a respectable uni will help in getting a good career, I mean useless in terms of the actual contribution of the content to humanity.
You know who is in need of good education? You.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
PatrickB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by techno-thriller)
Only maths,physics,chemistry,biology and medicine and engineering should be taught.
That is utterly, utterly ridiculous. Full stop.

felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They should reverse Blair's target of getting some stupidly high proportion of the population university-educated. This would free up some money to improve FE college and sixth form education (discourage or even abolish crappy subjects like Sociology or Media Studies at A level), and it would allow academics at universities not to be burdened by a tonne of know-nothing students who all think they're the bee's knees because they got a few As at piss easy A levels. It would also mean that people who don't go to university are no longer seen as failures.
PatrickB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think this thread has uncovered a lot of messy and abhorrent attitudes and opinions amongst students that is just depressing. I hope this isn't a true reflection of the status quo.

donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WGR)
One day you will grow up and realize that nobody cares about university prestige.
this. and to add nobody cares what you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mystery_Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Flauta)
I don't think we should, if someone wants to further their knowledge of a particular area, does it matter whether it'll get them a job or not? A university is for those who want to learn more about a subject, doesn't necessarily have to prepare you for a job in that area.
If I was a taxpayer I would say; as long as you pay ever single penny back then I don't mind if you go to university for these reasons at all but the fact is a lot of people studying these bogus degrees won't ever pay all their loan back as they won't get a job that pays enough.
honeyandlemon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Over 100 universities in the UK and only about 40 or so are prestigious. What is the point of all of these awful institutions?
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by honeyandlemon)
Over 100 universities in the UK and only about 40 or so are prestigious. What is the point of all of these awful institutions?
Define crap.

Or to be more specific:
Pick your 40.

Trust me - once you start picking it becomes very clear how much every UK university has to offer even if it isn't to your particular taste/needs.
tania<3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:facepalm:
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree.

Too many graduates, not enough jobs. More crap universities lower the standards and prestige of a degree.
Superunknown17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Another case of university snobbery, seems only to be getting worse on here.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The university you attend is crappier than the one I attended, so I agree the one you attend should be shut down.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1965 University Elitist)
Why are we allowing universities to open in Warwick and York, these nonsense mickey mouse institutions will destroy our prestigious education system!
Unfortunately for those who want to continually limit access to education based on nothing more than unqualified prejudices, it doesn't work the way you want it to work. This is fortunate for the rest of us. 'Prestige' is probably the worst criteria of them all.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Looks like someone was dropped on their head as a baby, eh?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
14.1%
The paper was reasonable (191)
49.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.33%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.7%

Watched Threads