Dropped Out of University Watch

Temporality
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Studentmum18)
Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear from someone who knows how it feels. Am trying to persuade him to get help for his depression (diagnosed by uni) but he is too low to help himself at the mo. Not answering my calls this evening, worrying!
That's okay. Ah I used to do that a lot, ignore my worried family's calls but crazy enough because of my condition or maybe my immaturity at the time, I didn't actually realise people were really worried about me. It took me ages to realise that and the effect of what I was doing to other people around me but I'm sure your son will realise it too with time.

Does he have any other conditions such as Asperger's or mild autism or anxiety/panic attacks or is it just depression? If his self-esteem is low due to exams he may feel that he cannot cope with exams and they are actually a huge pressure for someone with frankly deludedly low self-esteem, which is what I had. I had convinced myself for ages I was stupid when logic shows from previous exam results that i wasnt stupid. It was only after a long while I realised how my esteem was rock bottom and that was affecting everything. What I am trying to say is his depression may be affecting how he feels about his course. Does he have ideas of anything else he might like to do instead of his course? Does he feel like his uni course was a bad decision? Obviously if he would start a new degree he would be in the same position as me and still get finance and I would say as I'm sure you would agree his happiness is the priority. I would say I am happier now tht I've redirected my life's course than i was before but it was undoubtedly a big change and I did worry that people thought I was weak or stupid for dropping out of university. But I've largely got over that now and realised that it doesn't really matter, what matters most is that you are happy in what your doing and that you sort your mental health issues out yourself.

You can private message me if you would prefer. Good luck anyway, hope he responds sometime soon! If he has friends he's close to at uni obviously that can work as good support since you can't be there/ it's hard to make contact at the moment. There should be at least one nice person that can support him out there but obvious the nature of the condition is sadly to isolate yourself. It's a tricky one but I hope you get through it
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It has now been seven months since I dropped out of university and created this thread. For those in doubt of dropping out of university or not; I will answer my own question.

For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?
After I dropped out, I was still depressed and feeling sorry for myself. I didn't speak to many people and I didn't leave my house for two weeks. I just stayed home and cried. It got to the point where I considered suicide.

Eventually after the two weeks I was pushed to go to the job centre to start claiming Jobseeker's Allowance. I had no other option as I needed money for the student bursary fees I had to pay back (which I'm still paying). I started looking for jobs but didn't have much success as I had no valuable work experience. In fact, I've only ever had 3 job interviews in the past 7 months.

To keep the job centre off my back and to avoid having to go to pointless work open days and talks, I agreed with my advisor to start volunteering at Cancer Research UK for 4 weeks. I thought I would hate it there but I ended up staying there for 12 weeks. During my time at the shop I was basically acting as an Assistant Manager after the amount of things I had been taught and trained to do there.

The only reason I had to leave the charity shop was because I agreed to start a work placement at Costa Coffee which is where I had always wanted to work before even going to university. Through my training I got certificates for Foundation level Barista, Health & Safety, Food Hygiene, First Aid and Fire Safety. Unfortunately I hated the staff and shop I was working in and didn't get a job at the end of it. I was back to square one with nothing to do. I went back to the charity shop for a couple of days until I got told I had to go somewhere else or I would stop getting as much money. That was when I started volunteering at British Heart Foundation. Sadly I didn't enjoy it as much as CRUK, and my advisor at the job centre started to get a little more pushy. This was when I finally realised I needed to stop working unpaid and make an effort to find a job.

I started to apply for anything and everything to keep my advisor happy. And it worked! Only a couple of days after applying for lots of different jobs, I eventually had an interview for another Barista job and turned out to be successful. I was a bit reluctant after my experience at Costa Coffee but I got to the stage where I had to escape from the job centre before they tried to force me into doing something else. And here I am now, 7 months later, finally doing a job I've always wanted to do. I would have probably never even been considered for an interview if I was still at university with the little work experience I had before dropping out.

I thought I would regret my decision of dropping out of university, but I don't. If you are thinking about dropping out, you have to think about a lot of different things. You should never feel like you've let yourself down. My family was disappointed in me, and it really hurt me that they didn't support me when I was in self destruction mode. You learn to shrug off the comments from others and the constant explaining yourself about your decisions for dropping out. Dropping out of university doesn't mean you're never going to be successful or have a well paid job - we all start off somewhere and if you work hard enough, you can work yourself up the career ladder. However, the most important thing to remember is that it's your decision and your life at the end of the day.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nfergs)
x
That was an amazing read, thanks for sharing! And I'm very glad you sorted it out all on your own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
omar333
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
pursue* LOL
Minify
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From the experience I've had I'm completely put off returning to university and studying altogether. Don't get me wrong, H-W is a great university and I wouldn't pick anywhere else to go to but I realised university and student life really isn't for me. Languages were the only thing I was ever good at in school so I doubt I'd pick another course. I feel like I have no ambitions anymore, I've tried languages at university and hated it so now I have no idea what I want to do.
Are you me? I too have vowed never to set foot in university again after my experience. Science was the only thing I was good at at school and I didn't enjoy it at university so my ambitions have also disappeared. Lucky for me I've always been into computers as a hobby so I've started up a business based on that.
Minify
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It has now been seven months since I dropped out of university and created this thread. For those in doubt of dropping out of university or not; I will answer my own question.

After I dropped out, I was still depressed and feeling sorry for myself. I didn't speak to many people and I didn't leave my house for two weeks. I just stayed home and cried. It got to the point where I considered suicide.

Eventually after the two weeks I was pushed to go to the job centre to start claiming Jobseeker's Allowance. I had no other option as I needed money for the student bursary fees I had to pay back (which I'm still paying). I started looking for jobs but didn't have much success as I had no valuable work experience. In fact, I've only ever had 3 job interviews in the past 7 months.

To keep the job centre off my back and to avoid having to go to pointless work open days and talks, I agreed with my advisor to start volunteering at Cancer Research UK for 4 weeks. I thought I would hate it there but I ended up staying there for 12 weeks. During my time at the shop I was basically acting as an Assistant Manager after the amount of things I had been taught and trained to do there.

The only reason I had to leave the charity shop was because I agreed to start a work placement at Costa Coffee which is where I had always wanted to work before even going to university. Through my training I got certificates for Foundation level Barista, Health & Safety, Food Hygiene, First Aid and Fire Safety. Unfortunately I hated the staff and shop I was working in and didn't get a job at the end of it. I was back to square one with nothing to do. I went back to the charity shop for a couple of days until I got told I had to go somewhere else or I would stop getting as much money. That was when I started volunteering at British Heart Foundation. Sadly I didn't enjoy it as much as CRUK, and my advisor at the job centre started to get a little more pushy. This was when I finally realised I needed to stop working unpaid and make an effort to find a job.

I started to apply for anything and everything to keep my advisor happy. And it worked! Only a couple of days after applying for lots of different jobs, I eventually had an interview for another Barista job and turned out to be successful. I was a bit reluctant after my experience at Costa Coffee but I got to the stage where I had to escape from the job centre before they tried to force me into doing something else. And here I am now, 7 months later, finally doing a job I've always wanted to do. I would have probably never even been considered for an interview if I was still at university with the little work experience I had before dropping out.

I thought I would regret my decision of dropping out of university, but I don't. If you are thinking about dropping out, you have to think about a lot of different things. You should never feel like you've let yourself down. My family was disappointed in me, and it really hurt me that they didn't support me when I was in self destruction mode. You learn to shrug off the comments from others and the constant explaining yourself about your decisions for dropping out. Dropping out of university doesn't mean you're never going to be successful or have a well paid job - we all start off somewhere and if you work hard enough, you can work yourself up the career ladder. However, the most important thing to remember is that it's your decision and your life at the end of the day.
Yep same story here, not one person supported me when I said I hated it and wanted to leave. I suppose it's all too easy to say "just stick it out" when you aren't walking in their shoes.
efa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started a Management and Marketing degree at Bath uni and it simply wasn't for me! It was very sciency/strategic and I'm much more of a creative person so the prospect of sitting and doing a year of economics, business analytics, accounting, finance and international finance... No way! It's a decision that wasn't taken lightly - I started liking the place... Once I'd put the textbooks down. This was positive because it's made me want to go back next year but there are things I'd change! Research the course in microscopic detail, don't get too carried away by the location and institution (what i did), make sure you speak to people in years above (i couldn't cause it was a brand new course) and for me I'm going to try and avoid campus uni's. I'm someone who likes to leave my place of work at the end of the day and leave the site and shut the door behind me. At Bath i could see my lecture theatres out of my bedroom window and it made me feel sooooo claustrophobic and trapped!

I'm just gonna get earning, get experience and utilise this year as well as i can... I'm just sad watching my friends having such a great time but i know I wouldn't be if I'd stayed and that i know I can have a good time when it's right for me!!! Hopefully I'm not too lonely!
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I suspended my studies (was doing Economics & don't regret my decision to suspend) I'm doing retail work atm but long-term I want to go into support work/counselling/sports media
Abbie :)
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do any of you regret dropping out?

I'm about to finalise dropping out and having second thoughts just incase I am ruining my potential for a job in the future. But equally I know uni isn't for me.
efa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Abbie :))

I'm about to finalise dropping out and having second thoughts just incase I am ruining my potential for a job in the future. But equally I know uni isn't for me.
When it came to it, I had to listen to what my gut told me - i mean, I wouldn't want to influence your decision as it's such a personal one and although my friends we're very supportive they're only just getting an idea of why i really really did it. You do what you feel you need to you may find another route, you may end up at university again doing something that you clearly would enjoy more... It's dependant on your situation! Luckily i put my textbooks down a few days before deciding to withdraw becauae it told me 2 very important things - a) I was starting to enjoy it which has excited me to go again with the right course and a more suited uni which if id carried on to the end doing the work might have scared me off the idea completely. b) i was only enjoying it BECAUSE I'd put the books down... and that thought was what made me sign on the dotted line.
i-love-coffee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Abbie :))

I don't regret it, but it really depends what you do after. I ended up working abroad for the year, before coming back to do a different course at a different university. It's up to you, but if you truly hate your time/experience there, then you'll be happier when you leave either way.
TheElvenQueen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?
I think you have made a great choice
I didn't even enrol for uni (even though I had high grades) I'm currently on a gap year and I'm working as a customer adviser (its a lot of fun)
I'm also doing a lot of filming(in a zombie shoot next week) so I'm making lots of new friends without having to go to uni and expanding my social circle much further than that of uni students into other age ranges.
I'm looking to study abroad for free in the future in somewhere like Denmark (No tuition fees + grants) & all taught in English same degree but cheaper and a bigger world wide experience
I say look for a degree abroad if you want to do some thing specific and enjoy education or work in a job and climb up the ranks (one of my co-workers said I could become manager pretty soon as a lot of people are leaving see no management degree required
Employers only care about your work experience and not a degree(unless you have a trained profession like a Doctor) Good luck for whichever choice you make.
Madd Taurusette
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?
Someone bumped.
Anyway been a year since you wrote this, might I ask you what's in bold? :teehee:
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Madd Taurusette)
Someone bumped.
Anyway been a year since you wrote this, might I ask you what's in bold? :teehee:
If you look past a few previous posts you'll find my post explaining what I did in full. The only difference from that post compared to now is that I'm not enjoying the job I'm doing and I'm currently looking for another full-time job with a few more hours and better wages.
Krickl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by efa)
I started a Management and Marketing degree at Bath uni and it simply wasn't for me! It was very sciency/strategic and I'm much more of a creative person so the prospect of sitting and doing a year of economics, business analytics, accounting, finance and international finance... No way! It's a decision that wasn't taken lightly - I started liking the place... Once I'd put the textbooks down. This was positive because it's made me want to go back next year but there are things I'd change! Research the course in microscopic detail, don't get too carried away by the location and institution (what i did), make sure you speak to people in years above (i couldn't cause it was a brand new course) and for me I'm going to try and avoid campus uni's. I'm someone who likes to leave my place of work at the end of the day and leave the site and shut the door behind me. At Bath i could see my lecture theatres out of my bedroom window and it made me feel sooooo claustrophobic and trapped!

I'm just gonna get earning, get experience and utilise this year as well as i can... I'm just sad watching my friends having such a great time but i know I wouldn't be if I'd stayed and that i know I can have a good time when it's right for me!!! Hopefully I'm not too lonely!

I'm currently in my first semester at Bath, doing International Management with French. I like the Business/Management part of the course but not enjoying French as much as I thought I would. Annoyingly the uni won't let me change to a Management or Business only course so I'm thinking of dropping out and reapplying for next year.

Did you have to pay the full tuition and accommodation fees for this year or only part of it?
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did a gap year where i was deciding if i wanted to go uni or not.

I did make a lot of money that year, working 3 jobs full time. But was i happy?! not really. Did i feel there was more to life and more to learn? Yes.

I've now done a bsc, msc whilst also running a full time business and i feel uni and the knowledge i've gained has made my life easier. I don't need to work as many hours and i have bigger goals and plans in life.

Of course i have my degrees hopefully fingers crossed to lean back on whatever happens!

Cost of a degree has now gone to 9k so overall as an investment GREAT!
TheAlchemistt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I dropped out,
Resat some alevels, got a really good set of results (results I would have never dreamed off before i dropped out of uni)
Now im studying a great degree at a 1000000x better university.

Best decision I made.
lozasaurus99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheAlchemistt)
I dropped out,
Resat some alevels, got a really good set of results (results I would have never dreamed off before i dropped out of uni)
Now im studying a great degree at a 1000000x better university.

Best decision I made.
Wow! !! Congratulations! what uni and course?? Would you mind sharing your exam techniques please? ?? thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheAlchemistt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lozasaurus99)
Wow! !! Congratulations! what uni and course?? Would you mind sharing your exam techniques please? ?? thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester uni, MChem

In terms of exam technique, i did biology chem and sociology at alevel and therefore my exam technique might be different because i may have done different subjects to you
Da Di Doo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pursue*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (161)
22.09%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (136)
18.66%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.52%

Watched Threads