Turn on thread page Beta

Why is no-one British at University anymore? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyWill)
    True, but it makes little financial sense to the country. When speaking to many internationals they plan to head back to their own country and make use of the degree there and won't be inputting anything into our economy but theirs...
    This angers me, not you but the argument and the sad reality of the situation. Education, particularly Higher Education should be about learning because you want to, not to get a job. I WISH I had the money just to study for learnings sake :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le-JokerFr)
    They can call themself British or British of Indian decent,but no way they can be English or 'British English'

I'm not the only native British english persson that thinks like that most of us think like that

If I went to live in India ,there is no way I can call my self 'Indian'
    '..:mad:
    Well, if I lived in India and had been brought up to follow the Indian culture, I would probably identify with that more than the British culture and call myself Indian. If I'd been brought up in a more British way (which is likely because my parents are British), then I'd define myself as more British. What about my godmothers children? She's Swedish, her husband is English and their sons were born and have grown up in America. What nationality do they get to be? Nationality is complex.

"Most of us"? Can you speak for the millions of other people in the UK?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I literal-lol'd that you went to Uni in London and worried about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha brah)
    He did - do you want me to screenshot the post report? :rofl: I reported it and the post got deleted, btw. Not only racist but also a liar! Such a quality person. Really, 10/10 for being someone of value. *le sarcasm*
    Please please please do?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, fact check.

The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) has data published up until 2011/12.

If we compare the data to that of 2001/02, this is what we get for UG and PG students combined:

UK-wide 2001/02
    UK 1843320
    Total 2086075
    UK make up 88.363%

UK-wide 2011/12
    UK 2061410
    Total 2496830
    UK make up 82.561%

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this difference isn't as significant as is being made out.

There are a whole host of reasons we might want to recruit more international students. A lot of UK universities do unfortunately treat international students as cash cows, but for the most part, they get in on equivalent qualifications to UK students. There isn't actually a benefit to recruiting poor-performing international students - they still fall under Student Number Controls so you will still get fined for recruiting too many <ABB-equivalent students. They also count towards average entry tariff scores in league tables, which again is something universities work towards.

They might also be recruited on an internationalisation agenda. This is what Nottingham is trying to sell as its 'USP' if you like, and hence we recruit lots of international students to act global.

Another interesting development is the introduction of international campuses and the spread of transnational education agreements. Nottingham might be unique in having a full campus over in China and in Malaysia, but plenty of universities have transnational partnerships where UK students can study abroad for a period of time, or just as easily for their entire degree.

Then you have to consider where the university in question is based. London is a popular choice for international students, and if it's the likes of LSE or UCL, they are world-known and thus highly respected internationally.

The other factor might be that UK application rates dropped when £9k fees were introduced. Whilst they are slowly increasing again, it's not happening overnight, and universities aren't going to wait around for them to pick up when an empty lecture seat is essentially a lost £18k+ a pop.

My question in all of this would be: is there a problem? I personally don't see a problem in 17% of university students being EU/international students; it adds to diversity, fuels local and national economies, and helps bring other cultures into university life instead of people feeling like they have to take a year out travelling to experience something different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyWill)
    But economically it makes little sense because said students will go back home and have no desire to give back to the country. So the Uni might be gaining but in the long term, our country is not.

British people are just as much entitled to study outside the UK to then return. It wouldn't make sense for us to block international students but allow our students to study outside the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    Who goes to uni in London? LOL
    Me, amongst other people.

ReputationRep:
    They can call themself British or British of Indian decent,but no way they can be English or 'British English'

I'm not the only native British english persson that thinks like that most of us thinks like that

If I went to live in India ,there is no way I can call myself 'Indian'
    '..:mad:
    So if I lived in India for 30 years - I'd still be British? If my kids were born in India - and I brought them up with the Indian culture - they'd be British?

Saying someone can't be English because their parents were born somewhere else is stupid. I'd consider my kids Texan if they were born and raised in Texas, no matter where I was born

ReputationRep:
    cant_think_of_name learn the difference between English or British English,and British
    Example(no racism intended)
    You are à British citizen, you are British.
    English ??...probably not.

You can also claim to be British as you were born and raised in England, but English is not a nationality, British is. If you are a citizen of India then you can say with confidence that you are Indian. If not a citizen, then it's probably more accurate to describe yourself as being of British of Indian descent.

As you or your parents come from India for you to say you are English would be an insult (just the same as if I were to call you a wog or Paki (no racism intended)), I understand why you consider such words offencive therefore you must understand that trying to steal our identity is just as offencive to the English.

As within Britain I identify myself as English rather than British - I don't relate to Scots or Welsh the way I relate to the English. But then I don't have anything against non-English Britons.

English = born and bred in England.
    British = Could be either English, Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish or someone who holds a British passport through entitlement.

I am a native British English .

ReputationRep:
    cant_think_of_name learn the difference between English or British English,and British
    Example(no racism intended)
    You are à British citizen, you are British.
    English ??...probably not.

You can also claim to be British as you were born and raised in England, but English is not a nationality, British is. If you are a citizen of India then you can say with confidence that you are Indian. If not a citizen, then it's probably more accurate to describe yourself as being of British of Indian descent.

As you or your parents come from India for you to say you are English would be an insult (just the same as if I were to call you a wog or Paki (no racism intended)), I understand why you consider such words offencive therefore you must understand that trying to steal our identity is just as offencive to the English.

As within Britain I identify myself as English rather than British - I don't relate to Scots or Welsh the way I relate to the English. But then I don't have anything against non-English Britons.

English = born and bred in England.
    British = Could be either English, Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish or someone who holds a British passport through entitlement.

I am a native British English .

I am struggling to make head or tail of this.

Could you explain it a bit better perhaps? Maybe I am just getting confused, but I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. It sounds like you are saying that it's racist for people of foreign descent to claim they are English?

Like I said, this is exactly the same as someone raised in Texas (or any American state) saying that they are Texan, if they were born and bred there (they would also be American, obviously).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    I am struggling to make head or tail of this.

Could you explain it a bit better perhaps? Maybe I am just getting confused, but I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. It sounds like you are saying that it's racist for people of foreign descent to claim they are English?

Like I said, this is exactly the same as someone raised in Texas (or any American state) saying that they are Texan, if they were born and bred there (they would also be American, obviously).
    I do mean saying that it's ridiculous for people of foreign descent to claim they are English. A foreign descent can claim to be British but not English

that exactly what I mean

We the 'English' should keep our identity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    UK passport holder born within the UK? That's my definition of British with regional variations. Some like to break it down to English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish. If say that there are distinct differences even within those. But there is a British identity, even after years of Labour trying to destroy it.
    No this is just wrong.....
    Face the truth
    Why must someone be born in the UK to be British? I've lived here most of my life and know no other languages or cultures. I'm as good as a tourist in my "native" country, I left as a small toddler.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do mean saying that it's ridiculous for people of foreign descent to claim they are English. A foreign descent can claim to be British but not English

that exactly what I mean

We the 'English' should keep our identity
    That's ridiculous! How could you British and not be English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Why must someone be born in the UK to be British? I've lived here most of my life and know no other languages or cultures. I'm as good as a tourist in my "native" country, I left as a small toddler.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No point arguing with you
    God made us different
    I LET My friends Ali talk for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiWFLsgVi4

We are all birds but with different cultures
    It's natural to be with your own people
    I wanna be with my own 'english people'
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why does it matter if nobody's British? I seriously don't see why people care so much about the concept of countries, because they're completely arbitrary, man-made concepts. People are people, regardless of whether they come from Britain or anywhere else. If non-British people are intelligent enough to out-compete British people, so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    Who goes to uni in London? LOL
    Some of the best students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I think your nationality is up to you to define, same as religious or political beliefs. Having Catholic parents doesn't mean you have to identify as a Catholic even if you were brought up that way. I've been brought up in Scotland but was born in England and would mostly identify as English. Well, nowadays I call myself a mongrel/British because I don't really belong to either, but my accent is English, and that's what I call myself if people ask when I'm abroad, usually. Ethnicity is more fixed, but nationality is up to you.
    Yeah, in my earlier post I mentioned a caveat of a similar nature.

I don't think you can spend 2 of your 40 years in a county and provided you say you are "whateverish" you are though. You have to have spent a reasonable chunk of time there....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Yeah, in my earlier post I mentioned a caveat of a similar nature.

I don't think you can spend 2 of your 40 years in a county and provided you say you are "whateverish" you are though. You have to have spent a reasonable chunk of time there....
    Yeah, definitely. I have a fairly strong claim to call myself Scottish because I lived there for 12 years. Never really felt Scottish though.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it can't be just because of money! In Lithuania there's lots of students coming to study in the UK, but the people there are usually quite poor... ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    While I understand this, it's in the Unis best intrest to get as many foreign people as possible... Three years for 9K each... or four years at 13K... it doesn't take a genius what Uni's will do at a financial level.
    We'll explain this once again. For a UK student paying £9k, the British government also pays an additional amount of money basically, the university receives the same amount if money for a British student as it does for a foreign student.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.