anyone appeal successfully after being rejected? Watch

wildleaves
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you do an entrance exam? If so maybe you did badly on it?
Jessmukkah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Colmans)
I thought 45 was the maximum and only 108 students got it worldwide. Sounds an odd story.
The IB website says that less than 1% of students get 45 points worldwide, so yeah, presumably a very small number of students.

I'd certainly be surprised that someone with those grades was rejected before interview, but it would all hinge on the Maths and Physics HL grades (they would have to be both 7 to be looked at really). I'm also not sure how the University views the IB as a good prep for Engineering, i.e. if Maths and Physics HL is equivalent to Maths, FM and Physics at A2 - it could be that there's not enough maths?
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jessmukkah)
The IB website says that less than 1% of students get 45 points worldwide, so yeah, presumably a very small number of students.

I'd certainly be surprised that someone with those grades was rejected before interview, but it would all hinge on the Maths and Physics HL grades (they would have to be both 7 to be looked at really). I'm also not sure how the University views the IB as a good prep for Engineering, i.e. if Maths and Physics HL is equivalent to Maths, FM and Physics at A2 - it could be that there's not enough maths?
I think the giveaway is "1 [email protected] southampton uni". Until we know what this is about I would guess the reason lies in what happened at Soton. Clearly IB candidates do get in for Engineering & Cambridge would not turn away one of the 100 best IB people in the world without an interview unless there was a fatal flaw. If they got 45 they got 7,7,7 by definition. (Or they could be a troll..)
WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You kids are so sad, you get rejected and start angrily appealing because you have "amazing grades". Get your head out of your ass and start realizing that this is the real world where no matter how good you are or whatever test results you got you don't deserve anything. They didn't want you in their university for whatever reason, no point in getting butthurt about it especially when you could just go elsewhere.
Jessmukkah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the giveaway is "1 [email protected] southampton uni". Until we know what this is about I would guess the reason lies in what happened at Soton. Clearly IB candidates do get in for Engineering & Cambridge would not turn away one of the 100 best IB people in the world without an interview unless there was a fatal flaw. If they got 45 they got 7,7,7 by definition. (Or they could be a troll..)
Awkwardly only read your reply and not the rest of the thread, sorry... It'll definitely have been the 1 year at Southampton (whether they did badly or because they're still studying there...) - which is why I was so confused by the IB results as they would have otherwise fulfilled auto-pooling criteria!
Arieisit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WGR)
You kids are so sad, you get rejected and start angrily appealing because you have "amazing grades". Get your head out of your ass and start realizing that this is the real world where no matter how good you are or whatever test results you got you don't deserve anything. They didn't want you in their university for whatever reason, no point in getting butthurt about it especially when you could just go elsewhere.
Really, you need to be this harsh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arieisit)
Really, you need to be this harsh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I do people like OP annoy me for two reasons. 1) Just because you got top UMS doesn't mean you're god's gift to society 2) Just because you got top UMS doesn't mean you're too good to just go to another university that isn't Oxbridge.
Colmans
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WGR)
On the contrary. If you look at the original poster he appealed and did get an interview. Cambridge acknowledged they made a mistake.
Appeals exist in many fields of life so that where a genuine injustice has been done there is an opportunity to right it.

I think you are the one who is angry & hurt here.
Muppetmad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the contrary. If you look at the original poster he appealed and did get an interview. Cambridge acknowledged they made a mistake.
Appeals exist in many fields of life so that where a genuine injustice has been done there is an opportunity to right it.

I think you are the one who is angry & hurt here.
PRSOM.
Elektram
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am currently studying at Southampton so indeed this might be the reason for rejection without having an interview (though other top universities did not have a problem with that...).

To WGR and other people with similar point of view:

I absolutely fine with that. I wrote this post to show people around the world who desperately want to study there (and do not get an offer) that even with such amazing score you can be rejected without even getting an interview.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Elektram)
so this decision is like big "WTF?!" to me.
I don't see why it should be. The Cambridge website very clearly states:

Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application may be considered.

Any application to move to Cambridge would need strong support from your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.
minaf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You sound like a very committed and high achieving student with a great deal of potential. As for Cambridge I would have to say they are searching for the academic elite and they would definitely be expecting Further Maths . If your UMS scores were in actual AS levels then that would be great but not having FM is still an issue. Illusionz is right about AT's if you go on the Homerton site and watch the clip you can hear one confirming it right now. Good luck with your future plans.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jojo1974)
I'm sorry but you are absolutely wrong. In every Oxbridge meeting I have been to over the last decade, their admissions tutors have said exactly the same thing. That is, the only thing they want to read in a PS is the student's interest in the course, why they wish to study it, further reading etc etc. I work at a high achieving grammar school and we put 50 or so applicants through each year, most of whom will get an interview based on the personal statements that they write.

So you are completely misleading posters by suggesting that they ask for 75%. Sorry but the above is a fact.
"Applicants should write first about their interest in their subject,
their wider reading and other ways in which they have explored
their subject (~70%), and secondly about extra-curricular
activities and positions of responsibility (~30%)."

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...licants_v2.pdf
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
The bullet points on the slide that you missed out are rather more relevant, though:

We use personal statements essentially as a starting-point for discussion at interview
and

Cambridge’s overwhelming focus will be on the chosen subject
Together, these tell you on what basis the decision will be made. It isn't extracurricular activities.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The bullet points on the slide that you missed out are rather more relevant, though:

and

Together, these tell you on what basis the decision will be made. It isn't extracurricular activities.

I know that.

Did you read the exchange of quotes? The person I quoted said that someone who had stated that Cambridge advised 75% of the PS should be academic-related was "completely misleading posters". The document I quoted showed that it was in fact the person who I quoted who was wrong, and he certainly shouldn't be insulting other people who are giving accurate information. Cambridge does indeed advise that 70% of the PS should be academic focused.
Colmans
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
"Applicants should write first about their interest in their subject,
their wider reading and other ways in which they have explored
their subject (~70%), and secondly about extra-curricular
activities and positions of responsibility (~30%)."

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...licants_v2.pdf
Thank you! I knew I had read it somewhere but couldn't find the link.
Brambleclaw
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
There is a difference between academics ECs (like competing in a maths challenge) and what are 'true' ECs (like playing sport). The latter are totally irrelevant.
Not so -- "Mens sana in corpore sano" - A healthy mind in a healthy body -

A lot of EC's which include sport show aptitude. Chess is a sport, it shows cognitive ability linking, and approach with dedicated study. Curling is chess on ice. Other sports such as Fives - Rugby - Rowing etc show dedication and commitment. They are not "meaningless" they each provide their own benefit to a persons traits.

(Original post by minaf)
You sound like a very committed and high achieving student with a great deal of potential. As for Cambridge I would have to say they are searching for the academic elite and they would definitely be expecting Further Maths . If your UMS scores were in actual AS levels then that would be great but not having FM is still an issue. Illusionz is right about AT's if you go on the Homerton site and watch the clip you can hear one confirming it right now. Good luck with your future plans.
I don't think doing further mathematics As makes someone academically elite. However it would help with an application for mathematics, as a lot of Step papers include questions that further mathematics would help solve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (386)
30.93%
The paper was reasonable (490)
39.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (216)
17.31%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.5%

Watched Threads