The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I agree with what you're saying, but conversely I don't think learning a language as difficult as Icelandic is worth it if you're interested in the country alone, unless you mean, actually spending a portion of your life living there. With Mandarin and even Arabic, there also benefits other than learning for your own interest. I guess you can't choose where your interests lie though. Unless I'm overestimating the complexity of Icelandic, which may be the case, since I've never looked into it in much depth.

As in interested I mean significantly so, a lot more than an 'I fancy seeing the Northern Lights and the geysers' interest. Either way, it's extremely difficult to learn a language if you have no cultural interest. Having 'fluent Mandarin' might [perhaps unjustifiably] look better on a CV than 'fluent Icelandic', but you'll do better to get the latter if you're more interested in Icelandic culture than Chinese.
Reply 121
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Get learning :smile:

The possibilities in Arabic for the use of figurative language are endless; its allusiveness, tropes and figures of speech place it far beyond the reach of any other language... Arabic loses on translation but all other languages gain on being translated into Arabic - Joel Carmichael, The Shaping of the Arabs

Bull **** Arabic is only in demand for translators in counter- terrorism intelligence, seeing as many terrorist and criminals these days use Arabic. These officers are also finding themselves posted in embassies too these days. In terms of business east asian languages are far more important. hell, even muslim countries themselves outside the mid-east don't even use Arabic to conduct international trade- they are far more likely to learn our language ( English)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AdamskiUK
kkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaakkkkkkkkkchchchchchchchkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk habibibabib. This is coming from somebody who speaks Urdu and Punjabi and finds Arabic to be horribly difficult and generally horribly sounding when learning.

I speak Urdu and Punjabi too and I'm learning arabic at the moment. I find it quite easy as i can already read arabic and can read and write urdu. even some of the arabic words are the same in urdu
Reply 123
Original post by Asklepios
Why should we learn about terrorist culture?

Probably one of the most retarded and ignorant posts I ever read on this forum.

Original post by rickfloss
to speak arabac learn one word

Allah, ALLLAAHH, and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

that will comprimise about 75% of all words spoken in arabic

Arabic has way more words than most languages including English
OP, they don't need to learn Arabic, by the comments on this thread, they'd only use it to insult them. Even more than they already do. I'm Arab and my culture is nothing to do with terrorism (not that that's a culture anyway), the accent is not aggressive or harsh, and the community is nowhere near forceful (referring to the disapproval of 'arab' enforcement of rules). Screw people for thinking they know everything about arabs, and screw their ignorance. Learn about where the terrorists come from, learn about the different arab countries, and learn about the different accents (since we're talking about Arabic here), before you open your pretentious, discriminative mouths.
I wouldn't mind learning Arabic. But like a lot of languages I wish to learn, I will never get around to it >_< Life is too short sadly :moon: If I do ever master Arabic (which is unlikely), I would make an attempt to at least read the Quran in Arabic.
Reply 126
Original post by thunder_chunky
And now it isn't. What does that tell you?

My reply was aimed at your claim that the aforementioned person's definition of socially backwards is "somewhere in the 15th century" with regards to homosexuality. Homosexuality was a crime until the 1960's in this country, which would make your claim somewhat inaccurate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not a chance, if any Arabs want to come here then they can learn English, and I have no plans to visit any countries which speak Arabic.
Reply 128
Original post by de_monies
Imo, it might become useful to learn Arabic/Madarin in the future

Why?
Get learning :smile:

The possibilities in Arabic for the use of figurative language are endless; its allusiveness, tropes and figures of speech place it far beyond the reach of any other language... Arabic loses on translation but all other languages gain on being translated into Arabic - Joel Carmichael, The Shaping of the Arabs

A person strong against the Western culture telling people to learn Arabic. What a surprise.
Surely Hindi would be more useful
I find it funny how the OP only cherry picks the arguments he want's to counter. There are some very good points being raised by other TSR members to counter his argument and yet he doesn't respond.

:holmes: Wonder why !
Reply 132
Original post by James A
I find it funny how the OP only cherry picks the arguments he want's to counter. There are some very good points being raised by other TSR members to counter his argument and yet he doesn't respond.

Like? And sorry, but I don't really spend all day on TSR replying to people, nor do I have the personal time to unfortunately.

People on TSR argue for self-satisfaction and pride, to try to claim victory in whatever debate they engage in. If they don't get a response for something, they feel their ego boost as if they've won or gained something. Not only does this consume much time (which could be far better spent), it's also not of any importance to me.

Regardless of whether one has raised reasonable objections or not, if I get the time and feel the need to reply to someone, I will. Otherwise, what someone thinks of me (such as yourself), doesn't bother me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Like? And sorry, but I don't really spend all day on TSR replying to people, nor do I have the personal time to unfortunately.

People on TSR argue for self-satisfaction and pride, to try to claim victory in whatever debate they engage in. If they don't get a response for something, they feel their ego boost as if they've won or gained something. Not only does this consume much time (which could be far better spent), it's also not of any importance to me.

Regardless of whether one has raised reasonable objections or not, if I get the time and feel the need to reply to someone, I will. Otherwise, what someone thinks of me (such as yourself), doesn't bother me.

Complete BS dude. You have plenty of time on your hands to come up and make threads about issues concerning the Western world and Muslim culture. I did say in my post above, that you pick and choose which arguments you want to counter. You deliberately avoid the posts that some people make, because you know you have no answer.

Sorry to put it like this, but you are brainwashed dude. There's nothing more for me to add.
Reply 134
Original post by James A

All he said was that it would benefit people learning either 3 of the languages.
You lot are narriw minded to pick Arabic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JC.
Why?

Nothing other than business reasons. Yeah the lingua franca today is English but it hasn't always been English

Once upon a time, Arabic was the lingua franca (afaik so feel free to prove me wrong)

Also not to mention that if youre doing business with someone from another country, they're often pretty impressed that you can speak their language and more willing to do business

Not to mention that Mandarin and Arabic are some of the hardest languages on Earth to learn which would mean pushing peoples brains a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
It'd be nice if people learned a second language for the love of it but if people are generally disinterested it kind of fails it's purpose.

I was taught German in school despite having had very VERY little need of it over the years, and as such my capabilities therein have suffered. I actually had need and used Japanese, but even that language is suffering for lack of use these days as well.

A second language is best served by necessity, which there is no real pressure for in modern Britain.

If and when English is usurped by another language a the lingua franca, then you'll see the UK uptake second language in large numbers.
Why would anyone want to live in a country that uses Arabic?
Reply 138
Original post by James A
Complete BS dude. You have plenty of time on your hands to come up and make threads about issues concerning the Western world and Muslim culture. I did say in my post above, that you pick and choose which arguments you want to counter. You deliberately avoid the posts that some people make, because you know you have no answer.

Ok, so me copying and pasting an article indicates "plenty of time on your hands"? Not quite a critical assumption is it, especially considering how little you know about me.

And please, there's about 15 people who quoted me, I am not going to reply to all of them. Nor do you have any evidence that "I pick and choose (based on difficulty)" which arguments to respond to. I mean, how are you even personally able to assess what's a "difficult objection" exactly? It's more like which objections require more time to respond, which is why if you notice, most of my answers tend to be very short, as I don't have time to go look up references or give essay responses.

Original post by James A
Sorry to put it like this, but you are brainwashed dude. There's nothing more for me to add.

And I'll pray that you one day realise that the world does not revolve around your own narrow minded western perceptions, for which anyone to disagree is considered "brainwashed". What you consider to be "right or wrong" is not necessarily based on any objective truths, nor is it something everyone accepts.
Ok, so me copying and pasting an article indicates "plenty of time on your hands"? Not quite a critical assumption is it, especially considering how little you know about me.

And please, there's about 15 people who quoted me, I am not going to reply to all of them. Nor do you have any evidence that "I pick and choose (based on difficulty)" which arguments to respond to. I mean, how are you even personally able to assess what's a "difficult objection" exactly? It's more like which objections require more time to respond, which is why if you notice, most of my answers tend to be very short, as I don't have time to go look up references or give essay responses.

And I'll pray that you one day realise that the world does not revolve around your own narrow minded western perceptions, for which anyone to disagree is considered "brainwashed". What you consider to be "right or wrong" is not necessarily based on any objective truths, nor is it something everyone accepts.

I didn't say reply to them all, I said that you should address the good points (usually shown by loads of thumbs up). The proof is right there for you to see. You are cherry picking.

Latest

Trending

Trending