The Student Room Group

I've identified myself as greysexual, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by KICHMYARSE
Isnt this metrosexual?

:lolwut:

Definition of METROSEXUAL:
a usually urban heterosexual male given to enhancing his personal appearance by fastidious grooming, beauty treatments, and fashionable clothes

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/metrosexual
Reply 121
Original post by Damask-
Labels can be a big a part of people's identities when they don't fall into what's assumed to be the norm, as I assume you do because you've never really thought this through. It takes a lot of thinking to figure things like this out, and it can help a lot to put a name to things, because it allows you to find other people who are the same or at least similar. Obviously that's not an issue when you're in the majority of a particular group, but it's not like the labels are hurting anyone, are they? They're words. It's like getting upset about their being too many Pantone colours. :frown:

Not being straight, I certainly don't fall into the 'norm', I just don't feel the need to apply a label to describe every single aspect of my sexual orientation.

It is hurting people, it's making people over categorise themselves to the point where if any tiny thing changes they could have an identity crisis. In the OP it says that they are disgusted by the female body right now, what happens when they're not? (As implied by saying 'right now') do they change their labels?
Reply 122
Original post by addylad
Greysexual is so indie/hipster all of a sudden, haven't you heard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I should have considered the 'cool factor'.
Original post by KICHMYARSE
Isnt this metrosexual?

how old are you?

I'd say give it some time, you will grow out of it. It's important that you are social even though you are asexual. i am pretty sure its a phase.

today at waitrose, i saw this man in knee-length coat, beard, thin, long thinning hair, skinny, boots, buying a ton of cats food. man, he is asexual and asocial. he smells. you dont want to be like that.

I am 20, if I was going to "grow out" of it, I would of done so already.
Original post by alow
Not being straight, I certainly don't fall into the 'norm', I just don't feel the need to apply a label to describe every single aspect of my sexual orientation.

It is hurting people, it's making people over categorise themselves to the point where if any tiny thing changes they could have an identity crisis. In the OP it says that they are disgusted by the female body right now, what happens when they're not? (As implied by saying 'right now') do they change their labels?

If I do find someone sexually appealing while being in a relationship with her, I would still see myself as a greyseual as I am only finding her sexually appealing becuase I am with her. There's also the chance that I won't find her appealing at all. That's what I am scared of, I know that sex is said to be very important...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MylittlePlusle
Isn't there a grey area with having a low sex drive/asexuality? I've been told that I could have low levels of the male sex hormone.

Yep that's exactly what I said - if you do want to experience sexuality, there would be no shame in getting tested and trying hormone treatment.
Reply 126
If I do find someone sexually appealing while being in a relationship with her, I would still see myself as a greyseual as I am only finding her sexually appealing becuase I am with her. There's also the chance that I won't find her appealing at all. That's what I am scared of, I know that sex is said to be very important...

That's demisexual, you don't even understand the labels that you are giving yourself!

Just be with whoesver you want to and stop caring so much about labelling it. Sex isn't everything.
Original post by scrotgrot
Yep that's exactly what I said - if you do want to experience sexuality, there would be no shame in getting tested and trying hormone treatment.

I have no desire currently to want sex, I do however crave/desire/think about cuddles a lot.
Original post by alow
That's demisexual, you don't even understand the labels that you are giving yourself!

Just be with whoesver you want to and stop caring so much about labelling it. Sex isn't everything.

If I was Demisexual I would of been sexually attracted to my close beautiful friends which I am not. I know sex isn't everything... Cuddles are.
I have no desire currently to want sex, I do however crave/desire/think about cuddles a lot.

Cuddles have nothing to do with sex. It is a different drive.
I don't get why people have to come up with such long winded multi syllable words to explain why they are a virgin.
Reply 131
Original post by alow

I assume you describe yourself as gay? That's a label.. There was probably a time when you didn't identify as gay, because you were young or didn't know or just weren't out, but I assume going from using the label 'straight' to 'gay' didn't cause you to suddenly question everything about your identity.

I for one have never seen anyone have an identity crisis over a label, and nobody is forcing anyone to use them. Sure, labels change over time, because people change over time.

If anything is going to lead to an identity crisis it's the sudden realisation that your preferences or feelings have changed, not what you describe them as!
Looks like you gave yourself a wrong label...
:toofunny:
Original post by nohomo
Greysexual is an interesting word. I thought it'd mean that you were attracted to elderly people :tongue:

Same. Initially, I thought he had a thing for pensioners. :colonhash:
Original post by qwertyking
Another silly, faddy label for people who want to appear "different" and get attention.

This. I don't see difference between greysexuality and asexuality tbh.
Original post by SoftPunch
This. I don't see difference between greysexuality and asexuality tbh.

Asexuality is lack of sexual attraction, gray-A means you don't normally experience sexual attraction, but do sometimes. Or at least, that's my understanding of the matter.
Original post by shadowdweller
Asexuality is lack of sexual attraction, gray-A means you don't normally experience sexual attraction, but do sometimes. Or at least, that's my understanding of the matter.

Okay! :tongue: Still, sounds just like a person with a low sex-drive. Why 300 labels for smthng that means one thing? :dontknow:
Okay! :tongue: Still, sounds just like a person with a low sex-drive. Why 300 labels for same meaning?

Well, sex drive is different to sexuality - people of any orientation can have a low sex drive.
Original post by shadowdweller
Well, sex drive is different to sexuality - people of any orientation can have a low sex drive.

I think OP is a heterosexual with just a low sex-drive. It doesn't mean that when he doesn't want to have sex etc his sexual attraction disappears.

Unless I got this totally wrong...
I think OP is a heterosexual with just a low sex-drive. It doesn't mean that when he doesn't want to have sex etc his sexual attraction disappears.

Unless I got this totally wrong...

I can't really speak for OP, but from what I've seen if the thread, they've stated attraction which doesn't necessarily mean sexual attraction.

Quick Reply

Latest