Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How do you guys drink tap water? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just started to drink more bottled water than tap because for me it tastes nicer and plus the water in London has a weird taste and (hard water) so I'm getting sick of it, but I'm not going to go overboard and stop drinking tap water, it's just bottled is quite nicer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Scotland the water is nice but when I was visiting family in Jersey I used to always put it in a filter jug thing because it's cloudy.

ReputationRep:
    water companies put a lot of money and man power (from our taxes) to make water drinkable. if you have ill affects from tap water (which you shouldnt) you could probably sue. its perfectly safe, and although hard water is not ideal it does actually have some beneficial compounds. anyway, constantly buying bottled water is expensive and bad for the environment, when many bottled water companies are just reselling tap water anyway

ReputationRep:
    if you like the tap water, drink it! if you don't like the tap water, don't drink it! ...simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    Water is not all the same, it's pretty much all I drink except on a night out. I can easily tell the difference between water in different areas, Yorkshire water is really good. I can drink it most places fine although it doesn't always taste as nice. The only place I couldn't drink it was the 3rd place I live in Newcastle, this one was Heaton and the water was not nice so I lived off Tesco 40P 2L bottles (not the cheaper 'value' bottled tap water).
    Newcastle is where I go to uni and in Jesmond or in halls the water came out with half a chalk mine in it, it's horrible!

ReputationRep:
    I actually think it's ridiculous that companies profit so much from turning water, one of the most natural and abundant things on this planet, into a bottled commodity.

Obviously in some countries the water isn't safe to drink, and there are times when it makes sense to have bottled water, but I just don't understand when I see someone getting a bottle of water with their lunch every day. That's costing them over £200 a year, yet our University buildings are full of water-filtering fountains.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    I use the Brita filter thing...

ReputationRep:
    Because i'm not going to succumb to the lowest form of capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Scotland the water is nice but when I was visiting family in Jersey I used to always put it in a filter jug thing because it's cloudy.
    I don't think It's bad if its cloudy, I think there's an explanation around it or something. If you leave it a few seconds it goes away anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The plastic bottle doesn't exactly make it wonderfully healthy...
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    I don't think It's bad if its cloudy, I think there's an explanation around it or something. If you leave it a few seconds it goes away anyway.
    Probably I just remember being told be careful with it. Maybe something to do with it being an island? :dontknow:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I filter my water because I don't like the taste of the water straight from the tap.

ReputationRep:
    You are what 'evian' is spelt backwards..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    We have bits floating in our tap water. Still drink it though.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Le Nombre;47176641]Step 1: Grab receptacle.

Step 2: Place receptacle underneath nozzle of the tap.

Step 3: Turn tap on and pour to desired level.

Step 4: Turn tap off.

Step 5: Consume orally.

HTH.[/QUOTE)

lmao
    ahhh i were jus gonna do that man lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I actually think it's ridiculous that companies profit so much from turning water, one of the most natural and abundant things on this planet, into a bottled commodity.

Obviously in some countries the water isn't safe to drink, and there are times when it makes sense to have bottled water, but I just don't understand when I see someone getting a bottle of water with their lunch every day. That's costing them over £200 a year, yet our University buildings are full of water-filtering fountains.
    They come from different places and taste different. Consumer choice, man.

Water fountain water usually tastes like metal.

(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    I use the Brita filter thing...
    This. They're so great.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    This. They're so great.

Yes exactly Best of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Why not buy a hard water blend of tea?
    I didn't know they existed, I never realised such things were necessary. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Urgh hard water!! Tap water at home's fine but London tap water?! Revolting!! It makes a horrible scum on the surface of your tea! I never drink London water from the tap, it tastes rank and it always had little bits floating in it when I lived there :/ Got through a ton of bottled water, was so irritating!
    EXACTLY. You get a bit of that in Norwich but my London and Birmingham friends have no idea what the problem is, until I talk to anyone north of Derby who instantly understands the issue. Tea scum is grim. And it ruined my mug!

ReputationRep:
    Yep I do drink tap water. Umm all I do is open the tap then when its cold I make sure the water lands in the cup then I drink. Then I go for more hahahahah

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.