OCR AS Computing F451 - 2nd June 2014 Watch

chricky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For last question I said; manages communication between devices and then tried to go in to detail and then manages shared peripherals eg prioritising print requests from different devices on the network.. Don't think they will be on mark scheme but that one stumped me.. Did the binary one definitely say two 8 bit bytes? I couldn't remember seeing 8 bit so went for a 9 bit byte and said the other represented the item itself eg tin of beans.. but nobody I talked to wrote that either.. rest of the paper wasn't too bad though!
Ledhead27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It just said two bytes, so I assumed tagging an extra 0 to the front (making the number of bits 10) would be sufficient but I'm beginning to doubt myself now

P.S will anyone be able to do a Mark Scheme for this exam in the near future as I'd be interested to see where I went wrong. Plus I can't remember all of the questions, unless someone can help me with that with regards to what all the questions were.
CrystalSavage
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why is everyone doing such strange things for the 312 in binary question??? I wrote it using two separate bytes, but all you lot seem to have done something with 10 bits. We were never taught that so am I missing something?
Nick_888
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the binary question I got 0000000100111000. I wasn't sure if I should have included those 7 0's but I did it anyway
laarchie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TelephoneBox)
Bold: ??? what question?! Don't scare me! Do you mean the 312 one?

I thought the CIR question was worth more marks than I anticipated. I tried to get 6 points down but not sure if all of them were valid enough to be put in the mark scheme.
The 312 one yes
KieRigby
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you tuned into the F451 stream yesterday, I'm doing the post exam discussion if anyone feels the need to share their thoughts on today's exam! Starts at 5:30pm

iamanerd991
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
provides a platform for other applications to run and controls the hardware
Hoosierette
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nick_888)
For the binary question I got 0000000100111000. I wasn't sure if I should have included those 7 0's but I did it anyway
I did that! Pretty sure you're meant to as otherwise it isn't 2 bytes!
Hoosierette
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chricky)
For last question I said; manages communication between devices and then tried to go in to detail and then manages shared peripherals eg prioritising print requests from different devices on the network.. Don't think they will be on mark scheme but that one stumped me.. Did the binary one definitely say two 8 bit bytes? I couldn't remember seeing 8 bit so went for a 9 bit byte and said the other represented the item itself eg tin of beans.. but nobody I talked to wrote that either.. rest of the paper wasn't too bad though!
But a byte is 8 bits...
pat6089
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hoosierette)
Yeah, thats correct, i just went from the 9th bit -> (excluding the first 7 "0"'s)

Kicking myself for it
pat6089
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ledhead27)
It just said two bytes, so I assumed tagging an extra 0 to the front (making the number of bits 10) would be sufficient but I'm beginning to doubt myself now

P.S will anyone be able to do a Mark Scheme for this exam in the near future as I'd be interested to see where I went wrong. Plus I can't remember all of the questions, unless someone can help me with that with regards to what all the questions were.
It should have been with 7 "0"'s then the 1, and onwards. I did similar to you. I think you we will have got 1 out of the 2 marks
pat6089
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did the same as you! Incorrect, but we would have got 1 mark apperantly.
Nick_888
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who did that
Ledhead27
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the final question I ended up talking about time slicing and the use of flags and priorities so by the sounds of it I've well and truly messed that question up as well how did people describe the animation and interactive presentation questions?
coder4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nick_888)
Thats what I did too but people at school were telling me I was wrong haha, just used BCD on each, added the extra to make it two bytes.
QUANTAM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The binary question asked how the data would be represented on the computer; the data that was represented on the database was stored as two bytes. Nothing was specified about the data being represented on the computer as two bytes...

If that makes sense? Anyways all is done now, let us move on to F452, I hope we all get the grades we deserve!
laarchie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What was the question?
Hoosierette
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laarchie)
What was the question?
I think the last question was what a Network Operating system does.
cdc3267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In assuming Network OS was part of Chapter 2 R

It doesn't mention Network OS in the spec

r. describe the characteristics of different types of operating systems and their uses: batch, real-time, single-user, multi-user, multi-tasking and distributed systems;

Or could it be covered in Chapter 2 Q

q. describe the purpose of operating systems;

Cheers
laarchie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the last question was what a Network Operating system does.
I said it allows files and resources to be shared (eg printers)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.27%
Leave (130)
19.73%

Watched Threads