The Student Room Group

Conchita is not a "she"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruthless Dutchman

Race is based on geographical, cultural, social, religious, and other parameters so not particularly the colour of skin [[Especially now that the planet's becoming more of a cultural cocktail]]. I'm european white because I was born in the Netherlands, but considering I've been living two thirds of my life in the UK I could well be british white, but I could well be a combination of both.

I'd say that more describes ethnicity, rather than race. :tongue:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Gender's a head thing, it's a state of mind and it's not 'one or the other'.

I'll admit it took me a bit of time to get used to a friend wanting to be called 'him' instead of 'her, especially because I've known them for a while. But it's just an identifier, like a name. They're still the same person.

Race is based on geographical, cultural, social, religious, and other parameters so not particularly the colour of skin [[Especially now that the planet's becoming more of a cultural cocktail]]. I'm european white because I was born in the Netherlands, but considering I've been living two thirds of my life in the UK I could well be british white, but I could well be a combination of both.

Animal kinship I'll admit is an odd one for me, but that's most likely because I don't hear of it often, so the thought seems novel [[As would being a man in a womans body be for other people]]

Question, do you like things when they remain stable?

I'm (reasonably) liberal on most societal issues, I have no problem with change when it is needed, but this gender stuff sounds like absolute and utter tripe, honestly.

Original post by Mad Vlad
It doesn't quite work like that. By all means, try it, but you'll probably end up in a police cell.

what bigotry, i am a proud gendermorphous amphibious heteromollusc feminale
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I'd say that more describes ethnicity, rather than race. :tongue:

Whoops, I think you're right :s-smilie:
Original post by bertstare
i am a proud gendermorphous amphibious heteromollusc feminale

That's great that you've had the confidence to come out as that. I'll be honest, there's not a lot of support out there for gendermorphous amphibious heteromollusc feminales, but I think it's just about raising awareness. I accept you for who you are and that's what matters.

Spoiler

When she came on stage and started singing I genuinely thought the beard was a shadow cast by the overhead lighting or something. It took me about 10 seconds to see that it was in fact a beard.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
When she came on stage and started singing I genuinely thought the beard was a shadow cast by the overhead lighting or something. It took me about 10 seconds to see that it was in fact a beard.

PRSOM MY BLONDE KNIGHT AHAHAHA :rofl2:
Original post by Per
'Wurst'.

The surname actually comes from a German saying "Das ist mir doch alles Wurst" which means "It's all the same to me", which makes her name somewhat of a statement.

Literally it translates to "It's all sausage to me"

Spoiler

Original post by manchesterunited15
More definitions:

Male: of or denoting the sex that produces gametes, especially spermatozoa, with which a female may be fertilized or inseminated to produce offspring.

We have words for a reason. If we start calling things whatever we want then the whole concept of communication falls apart.

you missed out the brackets at the end,
Gender: the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)

the male definition is unrelated to the one given in the gender definition.
That's great that you've had the confidence to come out as that. I'll be honest, there's not a lot of support out there for gendermorphous amphibious heteromollusc feminales, but I think it's just about raising awareness. I accept you for who you are and that's what matters.

Spoiler

Is there any way to engage sensibly around such a laughable topic

Sounds like the latest way for the first world problems crew to attention whore to their heart's content and attach a unique label to themselves as they're unremarkable in other aspects

Look at some of the 50 facebook options for gender identities. "Neutrois", "Pangender", "Androgyne". Who on earth can even objectively define, or present these as serious choices for self identity (outside of a social media site, designed for attention whoring). I wonder how many Neutrois, Pangender and Androgyne people exist and argue for their right to identify as such over in Africa or India

If you are a man who likes doing traditionally female activities, then you are quite simply a man who likes doing traditionally female activities. In what world does this make you "Gender Nonconforming", rather than male

Not that I really care, but it's just so funny
She's a drag queen, so when she's in drag she is called a she. Out of costume she is a he. So yes, you can just switch from he to she pronouns, dumbass.
Original post by Ggmu!
Might get things done too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alternatively it might piss everyone off to the point that it interferes with rational discourse, and cause nothing to get done.
Well tumblr has finally ruined society.
Wow, some people are clearly scared that their nice, well defined, rigidly classified, black-or-white, fantasy land may not actually be the real world...
It doesn't quite work like that. By all means, try it, but you'll probably end up in a police cell.

Why? Women's changing rooms are for women, aren't they? And apparently whether or not you're a "woman" depends not on your biology, but on your own preference as to which gender people should refer to you as. By all the logic being used in this thread, it should work like that.
Original post by tazarooni89
Why? Women's changing rooms are for women, aren't they? And apparently whether or not you're a "woman" depends not on your biology, but on your own preference as to which gender people should refer to you as. By all the logic being used in this thread, it should work like that.

Exactly
Personally, I would refer to Conchita as a "she" because she is a fictional female character played by a man, just as I would refer to Bart Simpson as "he" even though he is voiced by a woman. I would refer to Tom Neuwirth as "he" though, because he is male.

In terms of the wider debate though, I think that people are having two completely different arguments. One is a debate about which pronoun you "should" call someone by, and the other is a debate about which pronoun is factually true. For example "Why don't you just use the pronoun they like, it doesn't hurt you". That's all well and good, but it's like saying to someone "no you don't look fat in that dress" when they actually do. We often say things to people just to be polite or make them feel better. But this is an entirely separate issue from whether or not it's actually true.

In terms of factual truth however, it is not incorrect in the English language to use words like "she" and "her" for anyone who is biologically female. These pronouns have been defined in reference to biological sex for hundreds of years, and such definitions still exist, are in common usage, and are mutually understood. There is no obligation to use the in vogue definitions, whereby these pronouns have recently begun to refer to someone who lives their life as though they were female, in a social and cultural sense.

In fact I would argue that, although the newer definitions of these pronouns might "officially" exist, by default it is the more established definitions that are in more common usage and are more mutually understood.

If we had not just been having a debate about gender, and I casually said, "My friend lent me her book" or something like that, most English speakers would assume that I intended to tell them that my friend is a biological female, and most of the time, they would be right. If I intended to communicate the idea that they were male, but chose to identify themselves with female pronouns, I might have explained that this was the case, since simply using "she" with no qualification would understandably give them a false impression of the situation, making it an incorrect use of language.
(edited 9 years ago)
OP you're being transphobic.
You refer to someone by whatever pronoun they would prefer you to use. If he's acting in the female persona of Conchita Wurst then you refer to him by female pronouns, but I think he said he's still a guy so when he's not being Conchita, you'd use the male pronoun.

Spoiler

I'm not quite sure why this thread has come to this, she is a drag Queen, it's not an LGBT issue as such, they are just referred to as "she" like when male actors play the roles of women etc

but he has a point with all this homoromantic, genderqueer, pansexual dragonkin stuff surely? I mean a lot of it just seems like people making stuff up to appear more interesting, rather than actually defining their sexuality and sex

Quick Reply

Latest