Rooms and general Freshers stuff Watch

Ditting Suck
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think he was only joking about suing them, you know

Look, I think they could be more open with things. I was landed with more rent than I expected (at least, relative the the quality of the room I am getting). I've no doubt other universities give a similar rosy gloss.

It's not a big issue (if it was going to be a real issue for me I would have researched much more carefully to start with), I just felt a little let down.
JHutcher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think that cam is not actually significantly over the national average. We also have some of the best maintained accomodation as well. It was recenly discused at NUS and cambridge sort of shrugged seeing as we usually get maintainance as soon as we request it... more than can be said at most unis.

That and i know the security in college at Jesus is very good.
Mikasa
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Jim)
heh, we were assigned our rooms at caius, i was hoping i'd get one that was around the £700 mark, my room's actually £924 a term
Hey, which building are you in? I'm trying to work out how fancy my room will be, I'm in Harvey Court C Block at £839/term, so I assume not as nice as yours :confused:
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Haven't Caius got reall nice rooms now up by the sidgwick?
Mikasa
Report 12 years ago
Yeah but there's only 75 rooms in the new building for 150 or so freshers so the other half of us are still in harvey court.
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mikasa)
Yeah but there's only 75 rooms in the new building for 150 or so freshers so the other half of us are still in harvey court.
Never mind... a lucky few then
Mr. Jim
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mikasa)
Hey, which building are you in? I'm trying to work out how fancy my room will be, I'm in Harvey Court C Block at £839/term, so I assume not as nice as yours :confused:
yeah i'm in the state-o'-the-art snake court :p: i spose i should shut up about how much it costs and just enjoy the privilege!
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to remember that you only pay rent in term, whereas at most unis you pay for 50 weeks.

MB
groovy_moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to remember that you only pay rent in term, whereas at most unis you pay for 50 weeks.
although, amoungst all of the great things that could be said about going to cambridge, i have to say this is one of my least favourite parts.
I really can't stand the site of home at the moment and would rather be just about anywhere. I'd quite like to be somewhere where i had a 50 week rent and could stick around for holidays etc... hohum... i can think of worse things, i guess...
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by groovy_moose)
although, amoungst all of the great things that could be said about going to cambridge, i have to say this is one of my least favourite parts.
I really can't stand the site of home at the moment and would rather be just about anywhere. I'd quite like to be somewhere where i had a 50 week rent and could stick around for holidays etc... hohum... i can think of worse things, i guess...
MOst colleges will provide you with rooms in holidays if you want it, though might not necessarily be your room. Some colleges even give you free rent if you do something like work on their telelphone fundraising campaigns. And by the end of the first term you will be dying to get away, its absolutely knackering and its good to get away, especailly as no one stays around for holidays
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Exactly. My room for my second year ison a nine month lease; mine from middle of September until June next year.

"Work" is the magic word to get extra accomodation time, money, etc. They wish to bend over backwards to helpyou; I got my room over allof the easter vac because I needed (well, really wanted) to stay there and work and revise.
sarah_1988
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cambridge accomodation prices may not be the best compared with other universities, but they are far from being the worst. My friend (who's going to exeter) is paying £144 a week, which although pays for catered accomodaton and a really nice large room with ensuite, is still at least (depending on how many weeks rent she'll have to pay) a whopping £4300 a year! though admittedly she did choose that option. So im quite relieved at least the amount is reasonable! :rolleyes:
stephendnes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sarah_1988)
Cambridge accomodation prices may not be the best compared with other universities, but they are far from being the worst. My friend (who's going to exeter) is paying £144 a week, which although pays for catered accomodaton and a really nice large room with ensuite, is still at least (depending on how many weeks rent she'll have to pay) a whopping £4300 a year! though admittedly she did choose that option. So im quite relieved at least the amount is reasonable! :rolleyes:
I understand that the rents I would have faced at Trinity a few years ago were much lower. Sob.

Don't know if this is true with other colleges, too.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stephendnes)
I understand that the rents I would have faced at Trinity a few years ago were much lower. Sob.

Don't know if this is true with other colleges, too.
Well I expect to be corrected by an economist, but here is my understanding of the issue. Baseline inflation has hovered around 4% for the last few years. Now, if you increase this because cambridge is an urban centre, because we're dealing with rents (which have steadily been increasing above inflation), and because of the nature of the assets of the university (or the colleges), we are left with a rate of about 7%. If rent increases that much for 5 years, then you'll be paying 150% of what you paid 5 years ago.

MB
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In 1997 average room rent was 36 quid a week, according to the 1998 bursars report. Now its 65-80 meaning its doubled over the last 8 years.
Rent at cambridge used to be heavily subsidised by the colleges and they have been gradually phasing that out over the last few years
Mr. Jim
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by CamSPSer)
In 1997 average room rent was 36 quid a week, according to the 1998 bursars report. Now its 65-80 meaning its doubled over the last 8 years.
Rent at cambridge used to be heavily subsidised by the colleges and they have been gradually phasing that out over the last few years
oh, bum.
Ditting Suck
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Jim)
oh, bum.
#rofl#
Dharini1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
my room isnt too bad... a little over £76 per week and thats for a relatively new room ... but no ensuite *sigh*
sarah_1988
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i'm a bit gutted about the whole ensuite thing to be honest ( i wont be getting one either). I was looking forward to not having to share a bathroom nemore...:rolleyes:
Mr. Jim
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah , my room's £92 a week, but...that's if i divide the term by 10 -- aren't i only gonna be there for 8 or 9 weeks?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.27%
No (486)
60.83%
Not really bothered about them (167)
20.9%

Watched Threads