Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else have bad eyesight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    So that's. what, 6/20 ish? (We use meters in the UK, not feet). That's similar to what I have and my prescription is about -2 (it's a cyl, so a tad more complex, but basically -1.5 to -2). It's really not that bad.
    What people see normally at 20 feet I probably see at 50 to 70
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    What people see normally at 20 feet I probably see at 50 to 70
    Yes. That's what I'm saying. 20/70 is the same as 6/20ish. I see between 6/18 and 8/24, or 20/60 and 20/80ish. My prescription is -1.5/-0.5x180. So, for you (assuming you don't know what cylinders are in lenses), it's about -2.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. That's what I'm saying. 20/70 is the same as 6/20ish. I see between 6/18 and 8/24, or 20/60 and 20/80ish. My prescription is -1.5/-0.5x180. So, for you (assuming you don't know what cylinders are in lenses), it's about -2.
    Right is that really bad?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Right is that really bad?
    No. That's a fairly normal prescription. Prescriptions can go up and beyond -30.

ReputationRep:
    So that's. what, 6/20 ish? (We use meters in the UK, not feet). That's similar to what I have and my prescription is about -2 (it's a cyl, so a tad more complex, but basically -1.5 to -2). It's really not that bad.
    You are closer to 1.75 actually because your axis is close to 180^, so 6/24 is normal.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    You are closer to 1.75 actually because your axis is close to 180^, so 6/24 is normal.
    I'm trying to make it easier for the other person, that's all. I doubt they know all that much about lenses.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I never used to wear glasses when I was younger because I was scared about getting teased at school- turns out it would have been better to been made fun of a little bit than for everything to be a massive blur.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure what my prescription is, but I know my eyesight is awful. I'm short-sighted and I've been wearing glasses since I was about 8 or 9. I need to wear glasses when using a computer, if that gives any indication of how blind I am :lol: I'm fine with reading a book or a newspaper though and my eyesight seems to be steady with regards to any declination .
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Il let you know when I go for an eye test, need contacts for driving
    You won't be able to drive with that level of correct. I'm 6/12 and 6/24, I think and aren't allowed to drive. I wasn't allowed to drive (just!) when I was 6/12 and 6/10.

You're 6/24 and 6/18, I think. You have to be at least 6/9 (20/30) to drive.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You won't be able to drive with that level of correct. I'm 6/12 and 6/24, I think and aren't allowed to drive. I wasn't allowed to drive (just!) when I was 6/12 and 6/10.
    The way I understood their post was that they were 6/20ish (changing feet to meters, ugh) without correction and they were going to go and get correction, meaning they'd be able to drive with their correction on.

Mine is somewhere between 6/18 and 6/24 and when I have my glasses on, I can read 6/4 (and on some of the uni charts, 6/3). I am allowed to drive as long as I wear my correction.

ReputationRep:

You're 6/24 and 6/18, I think. You have to be at least 6/9 (20/30) to drive.
    Yh but you can when you have contacts on or glasses any will do as long as it corrects your vision you can drive.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Yh but you can when you have contacts on or glasses any will do as long as it corrects your vision you can drive.
    You're actually borderline, I believe. I seem to remember you've got to have a certain amount of vision uncorrected.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You're actually borderline, I believe. I seem to remember you've got to have a certain amount of vision uncorrected.
    The only thing that matters is that you can see 6/12 or better with correction. https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules
    It's stricter for lorry and bus drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qewrtyu)
    Ah my little sister is one of those annoying people who wants to get fake glasses. I told her to wait till her eyesight is bad enough to wear real ones.
    My last few pairs of glasses have all had plastic frames as they hide the thick lens better
    Don't think I can get another eyetest for free.
    My new glasses are arriving next week . For once I actually chose a pair with a big frame rather than those small rectangle ones. Maybe you should get some new ones as well. Time for some change!
    I also wear dailies but dont really use them that often - takes me too long to put them in and glasses are good for hiding bags under your eyes
    Someone I used to be good friends with once lied at an eye test so they'd say she needed glasses because she really wanted them My cousin's ex-girlfriend used to wear frames with just clear plastic in too to make herself look more intelligent.
    Yeah, unfortunately when you're 19 you can't - I can't either. It's something you just have to pay for though
    The glasses I have now are different to the two pairs I had before and I think they're the nicest ones I've had for a while so I'm happy to stick with those frames, I have quite a small face so it's really hard for me to find ones that don't just dominate my face or aren't too wide.
    Haha, that's true I always feel like I have to wear make-up when I wear contacts to cover that up. If I'm not wearing my contacts my excuse is that I can't actually see to put it on I think I've got the hang of putting them in quickly now, but my eyes just seem to get irritated by them.

ReputationRep:
    The way I understood their post was that they were 6/20ish (changing feet to meters, ugh) without correction and they were going to go and get correction, meaning they'd be able to drive with their correction on.

Mine is somewhere between 6/18 and 6/24 and when I have my glasses on, I can read 6/4 (and on some of the uni charts, 6/3). I am allowed to drive as long as I wear my correction.
    Your prescription is a huge over-correction, that is another reason why you find it easier to read without your glasses. I bet you'd be able to see 6/6 with -1.25 or so....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Your prescription is a huge over-correction, that is another reason why you find it easier to read without your glasses. I bet you'd be able to see 6/6 with -1.25 or so....
    Except it isn't. I've been tested for years by my own Optom and I've been tested probably close to 100 times in the last 5 months at university and everyone ends up giving me a -2 power in the strongest axis. Now, whether they give me a -1.25/-0.75, -1.5/-0.5 and so on is different, but the prescription is usually a -2 in the strongest meridian.

ReputationRep:
    Except it isn't. I've been tested for years by my own Optom and I've been tested probably close to 100 times in the last 5 months at university and everyone ends up giving me a -2 power in the strongest axis. Now, whether they give me a -1.25/-0.75, -1.5/-0.5 and so on is different, but the prescription is usually a -2 in the strongest meridian.
    Again because the axis is close to 180 it can move a lot and normally wouldn't change much, but being able to see more then 6/6 by so far it is sort of over-correction. I can see 6/4.5 with my left eye through my strongest pair. I count it as over correction and use them only for night driving.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Again because the axis is close to 180 it can move a lot and normally wouldn't change much, but being able to see more then 6/6 by so far it is sort of over-correction. I can see 6/4.5 with my left eye through my strongest pair. I count it as over correction and use them only for night driving.
    If the person is capable of seeing down to 6/4, then we prescribe them that (my optom does this, and we're encouraged to do so in uni). We would almost classify 6/6 as underprescribed if the person (especially younger people) was able to see 6/5 or 6/4 in practice. Seeing 6/3 is a bit of an overprescription, but I only ever read that once and I'm pretty sure I was leaning forward and squinting at it.

ReputationRep:
    If the person is capable of seeing down to 6/4, then we prescribe them that (my optom does this, and we're encouraged to do so in uni). We would almost classify 6/6 as underprescribed if the person (especially younger people) was able to see 6/5 or 6/4 in practice. Seeing 6/3 is a bit of an overprescription, but I only ever read that once and I'm pretty sure I was leaning forward and squinting at it.
    Never imagine myself being able to see 6/3 or even close. Last year I couldn't make the 6/6 line with my full prescription. Now I can read the 6/5 without a problem.
    We study not to correct over 6/4 ever, the best is 6/5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    I need glasses badly I predict my prescription is -3 and 20/50 to 20/70 vision
    No point predicting your prescription. Have an eye test!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.