Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Iv not been told that. I can remember hearing something on the news a while ago that they were thinking about making people do that so they know properly what is involved in nursing. But not heard that it an official requirement yet. Nothig was said about it at my uni open day. The man talkin was saying that serving disabled people tea could couny as experience because you have to think about how their disability limits them and the choices you woukd have to make for what cup and how they would drink it. But I would check with your uni choice just incase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitter_fairy5)
    How's people getting on with their application? I sent my yesterday off and i've had one email from one uni to say they've recieved it
    Just waiting on having my reference written so hoping to have mine sent off in the next two weeks

ReputationRep:
    How's people getting on with their application? I sent my yesterday off and i've had one email from one uni to say they've recieved it
    Mine has been sent and I have 4/5 acknowledgements! Not sure if the fifth will send one though, I've just been trying to stop myself checking track/emails all the time!

ReputationRep:
    Not even written my personal statememt yet! College arent going to do our references until after we have done our first unit so thats a little while yet. Im planning on sending everything just after xmas.

ReputationRep:
    How much work experience in a health setting does everyone have? I only have a weeks placement in a hospital. I also have my job and a weeks placement in a preschool. Is this enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rednov8)
    Have any of you been told you have to work as a nursing assistant for a year before you can apply?
    I did read that this was going to be a requirement before nurse training, and a few new starters at the hospital where I work as a nursing assistant, are contracted for 1 year and will then be able to apply to university. Unless that hospital is doing it as a trial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They were thinking of bringing that in but it didnt go through so you ve nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am a current September 2014 child nursing student at City University London. If anyone needs any advice on the application process to any university/personal statement questions ect, I would be glad to help as I know the feelings from last year!!

Good luck everyone! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm applying to Adult nursing Chester & Manchester thinking of applying to salford, & keele but chester is my first choice, got a one year old and hubby works in chester so dying to get in there!!!
    I'll have a certificate in higher education Open
    And Certificate of Health Sciences from the OU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hullaballoon)
    Mine has been sent and I have 4/5 acknowledgements! Not sure if the fifth will send one though, I've just been trying to stop myself checking track/emails all the time!
    Exciting!! Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hullaballoon)
    Hi, all! I'm going to be applying for Child Nursing at Surrey, Southampton, King's College London, Cardiff and Brighton
    We've applied for the same unis! Except for kings college I chose Keele as my like fifth choice x

ReputationRep:
    Exciting!! Good luck with your application
    Thank you, you too!

(Original post by Hannahchivertonx)
    We've applied for the same unis! Except for kings college I chose Keele as my like fifth choice x
    Awesome! I visited Keele actually and I like how green it is there, it's a pretty campus. It's just a little farther than I want to go!

ReputationRep:
    Does it look bad if I only applu for 1 uni? My closest that do nursing are southampton and Bournemouth. I live in southampton. I dont want to travel far for uni so even if I got into Bournemouth I doubt I would go. But does it look bad if I only apply for one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsc2010)
    Does it look bad if I only applu for 1 uni? My closest that do nursing are southampton and Bournemouth. I live in southampton. I dont want to travel far for uni so even if I got into Bournemouth I doubt I would go. But does it look bad if I only apply for one?
    No it doesn't look bad, but puts a lot of pressure on to get in, and if they say no. You won't have a back up.

ReputationRep:
    If I dont get into Southampton I really dont think I would go anywhere else. Iv got 3 kids so need to try and keep travel to a minimum and its gonna be hard enough on placements with out having to travel ages.
    But if I didnt have that to think of id apply to all of them
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsc2010)
    If I dont get into Southampton I really dont think I would go anywhere else. Iv got 3 kids so need to try and keep travel to a minimum and its gonna be hard enough on placements with out having to travel ages.
    But if I didnt have that to think of id apply to all of them
    Uni's don't know who else you ve applied to unless you tell them so they wont know that you only applied to the one uni

ReputationRep:
    Applying to do Kingston, De Montfort, Uni of Manchester, Kings and Brighton for Adult Nursing! Soo nervous haha.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any interviews, i've just recieved one from oxford brookes

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any interviews, i've just recieved one from oxford brookes
    Aaaah congrats! I'm applying there for Child and Mental health combined, hopefully sending my application off by the end of next week at the latest. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my application yesterday for mental health nursing, just waiting for people to respond now. It's so hard not to just be glued to my emails. Does anyone know roughly when universities begin to get back to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicetulips)
    I sent off my application yesterday for mental health nursing, just waiting for people to respond now. It's so hard not to just be glued to my emails. Does anyone know roughly when universities begin to get back to you?
    Can take anything upto 1 week to months! Sometimes they send an email saying 'considering application' which just means they have received it and will look at it. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.