Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys: if any of you would like ideas of what it's like to study in Oxford (in general and for particular subjects) or wanna ask questions to students about anything, you might wanna check out the OxTweet outreach project on Twitter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Both Oxford and Cambridge run amazing free summer schools for year 12 students from state schools. I went on the Oxford one, and had such a good time. So basically, I'd really encourage you to apply. You've got nothing to loose! Applications are open already for the Oxford summer school (UNIQ) and open for the Cambridge one (Sutton Trust) in a couple of days. You can apply for both. Lots of information on their websites:

http://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/
    http://www.suttontrust.com/programme...mmer-school-2/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Both Oxford and Cambridge run amazing free summer schools for year 12 students from state schools. I went on the Oxford one, and had such a good time. So basically, I'd really encourage you to apply. You've got nothing to loose! Applications are open already for the Oxford summer school (UNIQ) and open for the Cambridge one (Sutton Trust) in a couple of days. You can apply for both. Lots of information on their websites:

http://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/
    http://www.suttontrust.com/programme...mmer-school-2/

Don't understand why they have to make them state school only. :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    Don't understand why they have to make them state school only. :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The idea is to encourage people who wouldn't otherwise apply to Oxford to do so. And generally, that's less of an issue in private schools. But I can see the frustration, especially if your school isn't fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    The idea is to encourage people who wouldn't otherwise apply to Oxford to do so. And generally, that's less of an issue in private schools. But I can see the frustration, especially if your school isn't fantastic!
    Having attended a school that taught me TSA skills, interview techniques and wrote me a reference that sparkled, I feel like Oxford should devote all the resources it has at its disposal to those who don't have such an opportunity. I understand that some independent schools are (much) worse than others but there has to be some arbitrary lines drawn so those who most need support get it.

ReputationRep:
    Any other hopeful Oxford medics?
    I'd love to apply to Oxford honestly, not sure if I'd get accepted but it's worth a shot!

GCSEs: 14A*s
    AS-Levels: Religious Studies (already completed AS Level got an A ), Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English. Hoping to continue all 4 on to A2😬
    Course: Medicine
    College: I can't decide between Christ Church and St John's, both look amazing!

Hope I can talk to some of you other hopeful medicine applicants, or just any Oxford applicants in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    New to TSR!

Interested in PPE at Oxford Any other hopefuls? Or non-uk people?
    Having some difficulties comparing my grades to the UK A levels.... Not similar at all :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    Course: Medicine
    College: I can't decide between Christ Church and St John's, both look amazing!
    St John's (#biased)

ReputationRep:
    St John's (#biased)
    I'm guessing you're at St John's haha?
    What's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you're at St John's haha?
    What's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well right now I'm having a rave, sat in my room, and reading TSR

But I certainly don't regret my decision to apply here. Guessing you've read the pros and cons page? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...hn.27s_College

ReputationRep:

But I certainly don't regret my decision to apply here. Guessing you've read the pros and cons page? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...hn.27s_College
    I definitely have, and it sounds incredible! What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I definitely have, and it sounds incredible! What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Computer Science and Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    I'M SO CONFUSED. I fell in love with Oxford when I went there, but I can't go to the college I want to because of the subject I am doing, plus I don't think I will do brilliantly in my GCSEs but I think I will be fine at A-Level . . . I know I have a year to think about it but I really can't decide! As I'm applying for an obscure-ish subject (Japanese), I feel like I have a decent chance at either but Oxford looks more at GCSE results . . . Can you give me some advice, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... This is absolute rubbish! I got 2A*s 7As and 2Bs at GCSE and AABC at AS and yet got an offer at the most oversubscribed college!!! They had over 2000 applications for 140 places. They won't reject someone who performs well at the entrance tests, interviews, submitted essays, PS and AS just because they got a couple of dodgy GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:

Are you already back in Oxford? I only arrive back tomorrow and that's considered early :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    Are you already back in Oxford? I only arrive back tomorrow and that's considered early :O
    I came back today, but am away Mon-Wed

ReputationRep:
    I came back today, but am away Mon-Wed
    So jealous, I'm dying to get back to my college! Just freaking out about collections now :/

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 8A* and 4As
    A levels: geography, biology, English literature and art (which I'm going to drop after AS)
    Course: geography
    College: not sure yet

It would be amazing to go Oxford, not sure I'd be accepted but I guess it's worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaValentine)
    GCSE grades: 8A* and 4As
    A levels: geography, biology, English literature and art (which I'm going to drop after AS)
    Course: geography
    College: not sure yet

It would be amazing to go Oxford, not sure I'd be accepted but I guess it's worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a geographer: if you have any queries ill be happy to answer!
    Btw: Hertford

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKell17)
    I'm a geographer: if you have any queries ill be happy to answer!
    Btw: Hertford

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you - I haven't come across any other fellow geographers on any of these types of threads!! Haha so I'm guessing you're going to be slightly biased and say that Hertford is the best college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaValentine)
    Thank you - I haven't come across any other fellow geographers on any of these types of threads!! Haha so I'm guessing you're going to be slightly biased and say that Hertford is the best college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ermmm... no not at all ;D

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.