Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which student bank account do you use? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which student bank account do you use?
    Lloyds
    17.00%
    Natwest
    14.50%
    Santander
    30.00%
    Co-op
    5.50%
    HSBC
    18.50%
    Halifax
    6.50%
    Other
    8.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    What kind of problems? I've been wrestling over switching so, your experiences could be helpful!
    well one time I paid for something. the people accidentally charged me twice thinking the first didnt go through. it was expensive too £400. so that turned to £800 charge that wasnt my fault.

anyway i find this out by going to the cashpoint and its not allowing me to take money out. but my balance still said i had money?

I phone the bank (premium call expensive number... great)

they tell me that i've been charged this amount of money and that the reason I can still see money in my account is because the payment is still pending.

I phone the shop the over charged me they say they will refund the money but it may take 5 working days.

I live on my own and that extra 400 was what i needed to live off for the rest of the week. which i didnt have access too. so i had NO MONEY.

I phone the bank to ask them if they can cancel the second charge transaction. they say they can't the company i bought from has to send a statement saying that they didnt mean to charge me the second time and it has to have certain details.

I go back to the company to ask them for the statement but theres a problem. halifax would not except the statement unless it had MY FULL card number on it.

the shop explained that they didnt have my full card number and that its against the law for them to keep hold of it due to policy with keeping your details safe and confidential.

I explain this to the bank.

they don't care. they made their terms.

so I literally have to photoshop the statement the shop gave me to include my own card number.

but wait. halifax doesnt want it emailed... it has to be FAXED.

like most people. I dont have a fax machine. so now I have to go to the post office to have them fax it for me. LUCKILY I have a printer

but halifax keeps giving me wrong fax numbers. or I send faxes and they've been lost or THEIR fax machine had issues. I ask to speak to the department I'm suppose to fax to and they said I cant. I asked why. they said "they dont have a phone".... seriously? by this stage im going nuts and im saying stuff like "what so they're just in a bunker with only a fax machine to communicate with outside world with. which they didnt take well.

I spend the last money I have to spare from change about the house on these faxes.

eventually we get there. payments canceled. the world is restored.

now thats not even the full story of how ridiculous they were.

I was doing this for two days straight. because it took a whole day to find out what was going on and what I had to do. why did it take a whole day?
    cause none of them new what was going on.
    they kept putting me on hold. once they kept on hold for half an hour and then just hung up on me.
    put me through to wrong departments or old departments that dont exist and the phone just hangs up after ringing out.
    I had to keep phoning back because of this and met a new person every time and had to explain the situation over and over again.

no matter how bad you think all of it was. I can tell you. it was worse.

anyway then halifax just changed my overdraft agreement.
    I had a £100 free 0% interest overdraft. then they changed the terms to charge £1 a day if i went 1 penny over my over draft.

they have incredibly poor communication with customers and keeping them secure.

I'm with nat west now and they even get spooked out if i log into my bank account from different cities.

halifax. nothing.

comparing them with natwest also halifax payments and tranfers are incredibly unreliable. sometimes fast. sometimes slow. not predictable at all. natwest are bang on reliable. only downside to natwest is that they are so secure that it can be a pain in the arse.

I closed my halifax account.

I also know a few other people who have had similar ordeals with natwest

opened a co-op bank account for ethical reasons & a natwest account for business.

I would avoid international banks incase god forbid you get horrifically in debt and have to leave the country and runaway because your so in debt.

when I was looking for a new bank I phoned all of them up and just asked them to pitch their best offers. any country that had poorly trained indian call centres with bad line connections I turned down immediately.

I also didnt get with LLoyds due to their past involvement with the Slave Trade. but thats just my ethics and I understand many wouldnt be bothered by that. HSBC and Natwest were involved in slave trade too which makes me very uncomfortable. but I think most banks were. Lloyds though has such strong history with the slave trade that descendants of slaves got together to try and sue Lloyds for reparations.

After the experience I think its good to have at least 2 banks. with some money stored in one for emergencies and one for your everyday use.
    so in situations like mine where your 1 bank screws you, you have a plan B.

I also know someone that used to work for natwest and quit. but they quit basically cause it was too hard to work there because they were so on the ball and did everything to the T and straight away with no messing. so that kinda got me thinking natwest is a good bank since their so strict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I'm already going to be at the limit you can put into an ISA each year. Not worth it for the couple of quid I would get anyway.
    You managed to put in £15,000 in your new ISA within the last few days? Read about the new ISA limit. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa

Putting around £1000 into an ISA for a year is more than a couple of quid worth of interest, suit yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnionRing)
    Hi can I PM you about this? I'm interested
    Hi, it's pretty self explanatory, get a student bank account with a 0% interest overdraft. If you don't use the overdraft for day to day living then just use some of it (not all of it obviously!) and put it into your ISA and earn interest on it. Just make sure you don't EVER go over the agreed overdraft limit, otherwise you will be fined / charged interest. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleeggy)
    You managed to put in £15,000 in your new ISA within the last few days? Read about the new ISA limit. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa

Putting around £1000 into an ISA for a year is more than a couple of quid worth of interest, suit yourself.
    Yes, I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    What kind of problems? I've been wrestling over switching so, your experiences could be helpful!

Personally never had a problem with them - well aside from the fact that I was quire annoyed that they gave me a basic account when they basically own Lloyds (which was my "main" bank before)

so's go in easy enough. No IT issues etc ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yes, I did.
    Ooooo, someone is rich. Good on you.

ReputationRep:
    I use a local credit union.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Lloyds, its just a regular rather than student account though.

ReputationRep:
    What about Barclays?

When I was a student I went with HSBC, I have since left (although plan to do distance learning) and I use HSBC as my main UK account. HSBC have despite being arses sometimes been the best bank I could ask for.

ReputationRep:
      My brother had a halifax student account while he was at Newcastle. He ran up a £3000 overdraft over his three years and took two years to pay it back after graduating. They didn't charge him a penny!
      because of that I have opened one with them and as I work P/T and have an unconditional, they have given me a £1000 O/D limit straight away.
      I've had it for three months now and haven't had any probs.

ReputationRep:
      Do you have to pay £500 into the Santander account before getting the railcard? Or could you get the railcard before transferring any money and then close the account?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EvanJackPenn)
      Do you have to pay £500 into the Santander account before getting the railcard? Or could you get the railcard before transferring any money and then close the account?
      You can get the railcard before you pay anything into the account- that's what I've done.
      But I don't think you can close the account until after a year(academic year) then you can just transfer.

ReputationRep:
      Nationwide is my main current account, however I have been wondering what student account to get.. Satander seems to be the one which seems to be the most beneficial one for long run. (for the railcard lol.)
      • TSR Support Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      Could someone help me.

My sister and and some of you are in Santender which is cool. However, with the 4 year railcard that means you get a discount? Now this is great and stuff, but I already have a National Express student card and even though it's longer travels than train, do you think I should still go with Santender?

I mean, I personally would prefer the discounts for going out and meals and stuff. But I know most students won't go as they apparently never have any money. So I'm wondering should I bother with a student bank account that does the tastecards or discounts on meals and stuff?

Another question: The 2K is over the 3 year period of study, you don't get 2K per year? So if someone said you get 1.4K in your first year... So that's £1,400. And then in your second year, say if you didn't touch that money (yeah right), you'd then get an extra £300 which will then add up to £1,700? And so forth. Which then means, you get an extra £300 in the next two years.

(Yes I can do simple maths)! So if that's the case then going with the student bank account isn't really a problem. Is it just finding which discounts best suit my needs?

ReputationRep:
      I'll be needing to apply for a new student account soon (current personal account is Barclays). My University is just over 6 hours away so would Santander be a good call based on their free railcard?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      When I was a student I went with HSBC, I have since left (although plan to do distance learning) and I use HSBC as my main UK account. HSBC have despite being arses sometimes been the best bank I could ask for.
      How were they arses?

(Original post by Quit by Daring)
        How were they arses?
        I had them at a low tier student account, it's not the best but I'm with them Premier wise which is now good so it's hit and miss on service

ReputationRep:
        I just use lloyds no student bank service I don't qualify for that yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        I am also a student and i am going to open my account in HSBC. So can any one suggest me is it better for me or not?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.