Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    wtf are you saying?

3 of my cousin's weddings had western music, luxury cars, reception hall, men and women were dancing together (although it was frowned upon by the older generation). the women were wearing beautiful dresses, make up, hair done up. are you seriously retarded man?

have you not been to iran man? i see a **** load of couples, married or not, holding hands walking in the park, going shopping, restaurants without any trouble.

you have to be muslim by law!? what does that even mean? that everyone is muslim? are you seriously that stupid? you're telling me there's no jews, christians, zoroastrians or atheists in iran? you telling me there ain't no churches or synagogues or zartushti temples? you telling me that the seats reserved for jews, christians and zoroastrians in the iranian parliament is a lie?

man seriously i feel sorry for you. you are so misinformed!

3 questions:

are you iranian?

were you born in iran?

have you ever been to iran?

please answer honestly cause if the answer is no, i can sort of understand the stupidity.
    ITS CALLED THE ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN. Why on earth would there be christians in the parliament you dumb ****
    LOL. The only churches etc in Iran are 'underground', if the authorities knew about them they'd be closed down. Obviously there are people who are not muslim but they cant openly go out and profess their religion or even tell people about it. Internet sites are blocked.
    Yes
    No
    Yes

My family knows a gay guy who has been arrested and taken by the police more times than he can remember.
    The thing in bold is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Im done here, please go live in Iran, fantastic place to live 10/10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    ITS CALLED THE ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN. Why on earth would there be christians in the parliament you dumb ****
    LOL. The only churches etc in Iran are 'underground', if the authorities knew about them they'd be closed down. Obviously there are people who are not muslim but they cant openly go out and profess their religion or even tell people about it. Internet sites are blocked.
    Yes
    No
    Yes

My family knows a gay guy who has been arrested and taken by the police more times than he can remember.
    The thing in bold is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Im done here, please go live in Iran, fantastic place to live 10/10.
    are you a troll or something? are you trying to piss man off on purpose?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_synagogues_in_Iran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...urches_in_Iran

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    ]Iran's Jewish community is officially recognized as a religious minority group by the government, and, like the Zoroastrians, they are allocated one seat in the Iranian Parliament.Siamak Moreh Sedgh is the current Jewish member of the parliament, replacing Maurice Motamed in the 2008 election. In 2000, former Jewish MP Manuchehr Eliasi estimated that at that time there were still 60,000–85,000 Jews in Iran; most other sources put the figure at 25,000.[48] The United States State Department estimated the number of Jews in Iran at 20,000–25,000 as of 2009.[49]Today Tehran has 11 functioning synagogues, many of them with Hebrew schools. It has two kosher restaurants, an old-age home and a cemetery. There is a Jewish library with 20,000 titles.[45] Iranian Jews have their own newspaper (called "Ofogh-e-Bina") with Jewish scholars performing Judaic research at Tehran's "Central Library of Jewish Association".[50] The "Dr. Sapir Jewish Hospital" is Iran's largest charity hospital of any religious minority community in the country;[50] however, most of its patients and staff are Muslim.[51]
    Chief Rabbi Yousef Hamadani Cohen is the present spiritual leader for the Jewish community of Iran.[52] In August 2000, Chief Rabbi Cohen met with Iranian President Mohammad Khatami for the first time.[53] In 2003, Chief Rabbi Cohen and Maurice Motamed met with President Khatami at Yusef Abad Synagogue which was the first time a President of Iran had visited a synagogue since the Islamic Revolution.[54]Haroun Yashayaei is the chairman of the Jewish Committee of Tehran and leader of Iran's Jewish Community.[54][55] On January 26, 2007, Yashayaei's letter to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad concerning his Holocaust denial comments brought about worldwide media attention.[56][57][58]
    The Jews of Iran have been best known for certain occupations like making gold jewelry and antique dealing, textiles and carpets.

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    The constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran recognizes Islam, Christianity, Judaism, and Zoroastrianism as official religions. Article 13 of the Iranian Constitution, recognizes them as People of the Book and they are granted the right to exercise religious freedom in Iran.[43][48]Five of the 270 seats in parliament are reserved for these each of these three religions.

Don't worry I'm definitely going to live in Iran after I finish my studies.

So when was the last time you went to Iran?
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    are you a troll or something? are you trying to piss man off on purpose?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_synagogues_in_Iran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...urches_in_Iran

Don't worry I'm definitely going to live in Iran after I finish my studies.

So when was the last time you went to Iran?
    :rofl:
    Wikipedia, and good riddance. I went there 4 years ago and hopefully never again.

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia, and good riddance. I went there 4 years ago and hopefully never again.
    yea so i want either a rebuttal or an apology for your false accusations please. kfanxbye.

p.s no iranian would ever say that. iranians love their country no matter how much they hate the establishment. i think someone is telling fibbssss.

ReputationRep:
    yea so i want either a rebuttal or an apology for your false accusations please. kfanxbye.

p.s no iranian would ever say that. iranians love their country no matter how much they hate the establishment. i think someone is telling fibbssss.
    I love the country and the people, however the establishment are a huge part of the country and im not comfortable going there. Im fluent in farsi lol, cant read or write though. Why on earth would I lie about being iranian

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you clearly haven't been to Iran because the majority of the younger generations (and much of the older generations) don't particularly like the establishment. Numerous people I've spoken to (family and friends) don't actually follow Islam. The only reason the women wear the religious clothing is because they are essentially FORCED to. They don't want to. Ergo, they are oppressed.

And yes, to be classed as an Iranian citizen my mother had to perform a muslim religious ceremony to be even SEEN as being married to my father which is ****ing awful to be quite honest with you. How can a country tell an ALREADY married couple that they're not actually married purely because of the fact that one of them isn't a muslim? Oh, I know, one that OPPRESSES its people.

If you take choice away from people you are an oppressor. These two points are just a few of the choices that Iranian citizens do not have. If you cannot see that you must be blind and/or stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you are saying. You think the 5000 years of history is all gone and forgotten in Iran? That it hasn't been preserved?
    Seems pretty much forgotten when I look.

Obviously it's been preserved, that is not a doubt.

Islam appears to define Persia more than its extensive history beyond it.

Edit: http://mashable.com/2014/07/09/irani...QxZGJ4NnhhdCJ9

Assuming this is isn't the only time this will or has happened this year, that's sad and combined with previous stories (eg arrest of happy video participants) paints a grim picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a lot of beautiful Iranian girls but I've also seen quite a few with unibrows or really bad noses lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Seems pretty much forgotten when I look.

Obviously it's been preserved, that is not a doubt.

Islam appears to define Persia more than its extensive history beyond it.

Edit: http://mashable.com/2014/07/09/irani...QxZGJ4NnhhdCJ9

Assuming this is isn't the only time this will or has happened this year, that's sad and combined with previous stories (eg arrest of happy video participants) paints a grim picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it isn't. There are tons and tons of museums in Iran showing off Iran's rich history. Museums of poets like Ferdowsi and writers like Abu Ali Sina and many more recent ones whose names I have forgotten etc. etc.

I actually went to Shiraz around 2 months ago and visited the old 2000 year old Persepolis (Pasargad) palace of Cyrus the Great (although most of the columns and artefacts were stolen by the scum British around 80 years ago and are currently on display in the British Museum). They also had museums showing of coins and artefacts from the Achaemenid Empire, that's 2500 years ago. They even had nightshift bodyguards to watch it. I also saw many other beautiful palaces, gardens and castles of 400-1000 years ago which were in much better condition, some were immaculate.

You also have to remember that Islam was introduced into Persia some 1400 years ago. That's 1400 years Islamic history and culture which is more recent and easier to preserve than the ones before it. Can't just forget those 1400 years.

That article doesn't explain why the journalist was arrested unless I missed something.

ReputationRep:
    British aren't scum.

ReputationRep:
    wanna see my Scud ? it is ready for launch in 30 seconds

ReputationRep:
    We hate the regime, I have no idea what this guy is talking about. Most Iranians outside of Iran leave Islam behind them, I dont know a single Iranian who goes to the Mosque.
    I completely agree, I actually can't think of any Iranians I know that are religious and go to the Mosque, and a religious person I know is Zartoshti so I don't know what he's on about.

Last time I went all the young people especially told me they hated the regime and how jealous they are that I live in the west!

Also to the OP haha just approach them how you would any other girl, they're not a different species!! If they've been brought up here I highly doubt that they'd refuse to talk to you because you're not Iranian

ReputationRep:
    Well it isn't. There are tons and tons of museums in Iran showing off Iran's rich history. Museums of poets like Ferdowsi and writers like Abu Ali Sina and many more recent ones whose names I have forgotten etc. etc.

I actually went to Shiraz around 2 months ago and visited the old 2000 year old Persepolis (Pasargad) palace of Cyrus the Great (although most of the columns and artefacts were stolen by the scum British around 80 years ago and are currently on display in the British Museum). They also had museums showing of coins and artefacts from the Achaemenid Empire, that's 2500 years ago. They even had nightshift bodyguards to watch it. I also saw many other beautiful palaces, gardens and castles of 400-1000 years ago which were in much better condition, some were immaculate.

You also have to remember that Islam was introduced into Persia some 1400 years ago. That's 1400 years Islamic history and culture which is more recent and easier to preserve than the ones before it. Can't just forget those 1400 years.

That article doesn't explain why the journalist was arrested unless I missed something.
    Fair enough, I'm not really in a position to debate with you here.

50 lashes lol. What kind of backwards, ridiculous punishment is lashing? I get the feeling she didn't do anything that bad..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melody19)
    I completely agree, I actually can't think of any Iranians I know that are religious and go to the Mosque, and a religious person I know is Zartoshti so I don't know what he's on about.

Last time I went all the young people especially told me they hated the regime and how jealous they are that I live in the west!

Also to the OP haha just approach them how you would any other girl, they're not a different species!! If they've been brought up here I highly doubt that they'd refuse to talk to you because you're not Iranian
    I bet every single time you meet an iranian they start singing the melody song lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Iranian girl and to be quite honest with you, I don't think we're any different from any other girl from Africa/America/etc.

Personally, I don't care where my significant other is from or what he does for a living but I suppose there is some truth to certain Iranian girls preferring an Iranian dentist/doctor/whatever. But then again, isn't that the case with most girls from any other country? Don't we all want a good looking rich guy?

My aunt (who is also Iranian if you haven't gathered..) was married to an Indian. Another aunt is currently in a relationship with a Pakistani. So, although I've only mentioned two people, the case is not always that we look down on Indians/Pakistanis. (Their culture is fairly similar so why would we?)

And to answer your question about how to approach an Iranian girl, just go forward and speak to them like you would with any other girl. We don't bite :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaycana)
    I'm an Iranian girl and to be quite honest with you, I don't think we're any different from any other girl from Africa/America/etc.

Personally, I don't care where my significant other is from or what he does for a living but I suppose there is some truth to certain Iranian girls preferring an Iranian dentist/doctor/whatever. But then again, isn't that the case with most girls from any other country? Don't we all want a good looking rich guy?

My aunt (who is also Iranian if you haven't gathered..) was married to an Indian. Another aunt is currently in a relationship with a Pakistani. So, although I've only mentioned two people, the case is not always that we look down on Indians/Pakistanis. (Their culture is fairly similar so why would we?)

And to answer your question about how to approach an Iranian girl, just go forward and speak to them like you would with any other girl. We don't bite :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Iranian girls are different from say british and american girls though. Iranian parents have a big say in who their daughter marries and they have 'hastegari' which is pretty much 100% showing off how good the son is to the daughter's family. British and American girls dont give a care at all whether somebody is a dentist or doctor, not the case with iranian girls/families though.

ReputationRep:
    I bet every single time you meet an iranian they start singing the melody song lol
    Oh gosh really they do this. When I was in the car they'd play it and just look at me :dry::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    hastegari?

i think it's khastegari خواستگاری mate. you probably can't pronounce the kh or خ. looooool.

ReputationRep:
    hastegari?

i think it's khastegari خواستگاری mate. you probably can't pronounce the kh or خ. looooool.
    Khack to sar et avazi

ReputationRep:
    Khack to sar et avazi
    chera fosh midi bi adab. :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.