The Student Room Group

What's the nicest thing a stranger has done for you?

Scroll to see replies

A ticket inspector let me go after travelling on the train without a ticket. I just went up to him and told him I didn't have a ticket with a shrug, he laughed and just let me go without giving me a fine. I think it could have been because he was black too.

Another train-related example of a stranger being really nice was when I got off at the wrong train station when I was 10. I was so terrified because I rarely used trains by myself and my phone had no battery (now I realise I could have just got the train back the other way). These two men saw me wandering on the platform close to tears and offered to phone my mum so that she could give me advice on what to do next. It sounds small but it was really nice that they didn't just ignore me like most other people would. In fact they were black too lol

The chicken and chip shop man once gave me an extra chicken wing once, I was 40p short for 4 chicken wings and chips so he told me that he'd let me pay for just 3 then when I got home I saw he gave me the extra one anyways :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I usually get my messages delivered from Tesco online and sometimes you might get the odd extra pack of biscuits but once a lovely stranger packing up my bags in Tesco must have misread my order slightly, I got everything I ordered plus...a giant bottle of gin! I nearly welled up with joy when I saw it in my bag lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember one...

I keep a list of things I need to buy on my phone

Was selecting pasta

Left my phone in the pasta aisle

5 mins later, needed next item

Didn't have phone

Bricks were released from an orifice

Went to customer service to see if someone handed it in as I went back to the pasta aisle and it wasn't there

They asked me to describe it

I described it

Got my phone back

das it mane
Some guy paid for my parking because I only had £5 note, what a top guy he was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bus driver letting you off for not having your oyster.. But only the black drivers would let me off.

But a ticket inspector caught me once and made me get off the bus and called the police because I didn't have any ID. Omfg I was ****ting bricks but luckily the police officer was my family friend and just let me off. You should have seen the ticket inspectors face loool!!
Original post by Rlove95
A ticket inspector let me go after travelling on the train without a ticket. I just went up to him and told him I didn't have a ticket with a shrug, he laughed and just let me go without giving me a fine. I think it could have been because he was black too.

Another train-related example of a stranger being really nice was when I got off at the wrong train station when I was 10. I was so terrified because I rarely used trains by myself and my phone had no battery (now I realise I could have just got the train back the other way). These two men saw me wandering on the platform close to tears and offered to phone my mum so that she could give me advice on what to do next. It sounds small but it was really nice that they didn't just ignore me like most other people would. In fact they were black too lol

The chicken and chip shop man once gave me an extra chicken wing once, I was 40p short for 4 chicken wings and chips so he told me that he'd let me pay for just 3 then when I got home I saw he gave me the extra one anyways :biggrin:

Why does them being black have anything to do with it?
A women dropped like 20 quid and I gave it to her. Few days later I lost 10quid and shop keeper gave me when he saw me lol. And then after that, in Lidl 20quid fell out my pocket and a man behind me gave me :biggrin:
Original post by EatAndRevise
Why does them being black have anything to do with it?

I think with the ticket inspector, it was one of those looking out for your own kind sort of thing. I can't see why else he would have let me go really since ticket inspectors almost always give you fines, they're so ruthlessI was just making a non-funny joke with the second one since they were black too.
Original post by Rlove95
I think with the ticket inspector, it was one of those looking out for your own kind sort of thing. I can't see why else he would have let me go really since ticket inspectors almost always give you fines, they're so ruthlessI was just making a non-funny joke with the second one since they were black too.
happened with me a couple of times. Been let off by black white and asians. Its mostly females that hit u with a fine. Guys just let u off lol
Original post by Ribbit1234
happened with me a couple of times. Been let off by black white and asians. Its mostly females that hit u with a fine. Guys just let u off lol

Lol yeah that's true actually, I've never been let off by a female.
Old woman let me stand under her umbrella when we were both waiting at the bus stop, otherwise I would be soaking wet!
Reply 131
The snow finished settling and the pavement to my road was quite slippery, I knew I was going to slip at one point before reaching my house. There was a group of guys and I fell lol I was expecting them to burst out laughing at me but they actually helped me get up and asked if I was alright. Bless them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Given me a blowjob :colone:
At my IELTS exam I started talking to a random girl who I found out always wanted to apply to a selection of universities in the UK. After my interview I left my name and phone number beside her bag so she could call me any time she needed help with her application because I had already finished mine. Over the next weeks (months?) we worked on her application together, she would mostly send me drafts and I would give her advice on the basis of how I had done it. In the end we both got our offers but we almost lost contact during the time she went on many long holidays and wasn't even sure she still wanted to go to uni. Now she's back and decided to go through Clearing in search of a better place. So first thing I did was send her information about TSR's customised Clearing emails and now we're back to where we had left off :smile:

After so many good experiences with strangers helping me out when I was lost, broke or absolutely clueless about something, it was nice to be able to give something back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 134
Once I was on the picadilly line with really bad hayfever and a really runny nose. I could not stop sniffing :biggrin:
The woman next to me offered me tissues, and said "I know how you feel dear".
That was really nice of her!!! I said thank you so many times
Gave me 20p when I was short for subways lol
Left my HTC ONE in the library, the person had it and waited for me to come back and pick it up
Reply 137
My boyfriend bought me a ring for my 18th birthday and then three days later I left it in a public bathroom. I was really upset about it but one of the cleaners picked it up and handed it on for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In Spain, an old man took me to hospital when I fell off my skateboard outside his villa and broke my leg :smile:
Let me go in front of them in the queue in the supermarket

Quick Reply

Latest