Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bashur)
    I thought my ukcat was below the standard required? That was my reason for not considering Nottingham!
    the average seems to be lower than it was last year hence your ukcat should be fine
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I thought my ukcat was below the standard required? That was my reason for not considering Nottingham!
    See

(Original post by Nottie)
    the average seems to be lower than it was last year hence your ukcat should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Have 677.5 band 1 in UKCAT- 570,900,550,690
    6A*s, 5A, 1B at GCSE

Total score of 28+3+14= 45/55
    Do you think I would proceed to the next stage? Any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellipsis...)
    6A*s, 5A, 1B at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you'd be fine

ReputationRep:
    They base it so strongly on ukcat though. Surely I should at least have 700 to be even considered :/
    No. You are fine if out predictions about this year average are correct.

ReputationRep:
    6A*s, 5A, 1B at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is a bit risky IMO but if you like Nottingham then it's definetely worth it

ReputationRep:
    6A*s, 5A, 1B at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that the real scoring system? Can you send here how to calculate my score? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, have my Ukcat 672.5 band 2, My GCSE 10 A* 1A, As AAAA and prodict garde is A*A*A, Study medicine in the Nottingham is my dream!

Please advise that do I have chance to interview for 2015?

many thanks.!

ReputationRep:
    How many points do you think will be needed then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does the Nottingham course use PBL?
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jane1234)
    Hello, have my Ukcat 672.5 band 2, My GCSE 10 A* 1A, As AAAA and prodict garde is A*A*A, Study medicine in the Nottingham is my dream!

Please advise that do I have chance to interview for 2015?

many thanks.!
    You're at a disadvantage with the UKCAT because of your SJT band. Everything else is fine. They don't take A* predictions into account AFAIK.

6A*s, 5A, 1B at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like I've said before, they take the top 50% of UKCAT scores and look at them further, and invite a little over half of that 50% to interview. I'm not an admissions tutor, nobody here is, and it's variable because of differences in year-on-year UKCAT performance and the updates to the admissions criteria. I can't say whether your UKCAT will be good enough. I'd be surprised if anything over 700 or so didn't get interviewed, and you're a little below that. Perhaps lots of candidates with exceptional UKCAT scores will preferentially apply to Notts now we look at it so favourably, pushing out what would normally be a high score - I don't know. Go and look at the scores in the UKCAT thread, think about how Notts run the application process, and decide whether you want to risk it. It's a shame you dropped marks on those 2 sections in the 500's, they could have put you well over 700 average which would have given you a very favourable position.

(Original post by MrStealYourGirl)
    Does the Nottingham course use PBL?
    Nope. There's a token 2-meeting "PBL experience" in first year but other than that, no mainstream PBL teaching. If you want to do more, one of the optional modules in 2nd year is PBL based.

ReputationRep:
    Can you plead explain the predictions? I'm considering Nottingham or Southampton as a relatively safe option and it's hard to choose. I prefer Nottingham but it's probably riskier. Argh.
    Looking and the UKCAT thread, talking to my schoolmates who apply this year....it's hard to find someone with a score over 700 and last year it was hard to find someone with a score less than 700.
    If you like Nottingham, apply here. Your application isn't that risky to give up on Notts IMO

ReputationRep:
    Do Nottingham accept multiple resits of AS during A2?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have previously posted on this thread. I have a UKCAT of 720 and achieved 4 A*s at A level and, I think, a good personal statement. I was strongly considering nottingham, until I did a bit of research on cardiff. I wanted to apply to schools which use a panel interview as I found the MMI unsuited to me last year. I was wondering whether 1.) any preference is given to applicants with achieved A levels or interviews are blind of prior achievement and 2.) whether I could be called for interview before december 2014 and hear an outcome before the end of the year 3.) I hear 600 applicants are called for interview for 215 places, roughly how many offers are given (400?)
    I'd be very grateful for a reply because I want to maximise my chances of an offer this year. I prefer the course at nottingham but ultimately I want an offer from a British medical school, and I know that cardiff give offers around december time. My first three choices would be Cambridge, Kings and Edinburgh so I am undecided on my fourth choice. Any advice would really help. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpkumar1)
    Hi I have previously posted on this thread. I have a UKCAT of 720 and achieved 4 A*s at A level and, I think, a good personal statement. I was strongly considering nottingham, until I did a bit of research on cardiff. I wanted to apply to schools which use a panel interview as I found the MMI unsuited to me last year. I was wondering whether 1.) any preference is given to applicants with achieved A levels or interviews are blind of prior achievement and 2.) whether I could be called for interview before december 2014 and hear an outcome before the end of the year 3.) I hear 600 applicants are called for interview for 215 places, roughly how many offers are given (400?)
    I'd be very grateful for a reply because I want to maximise my chances of an offer this year. I prefer the course at nottingham but ultimately I want an offer from a British medical school, and I know that cardiff give offers around december time. My first three choices would be Cambridge, Kings and Edinburgh so I am undecided on my fourth choice. Any advice would really help. Thanks.
    there were no offers before January. Early offer were given at the end of March
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cestlavie10)
    Do Nottingham accept multiple resits of AS during A2?
    From the FAQ:

"We will accept up to one module re-sit for every subject you are taking to full A-level, providing the re-sit is taken within the two years you are studying A-levels. The module you wish to re-sit can be an AS or A2 module"

So it depends on how many multiples you're talking about!

ReputationRep:
    What do Nottingham look for in the Personal Statement?
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shef2008)
    What do Nottingham look for in the Personal Statement?
    Empathy, communication, evidence of quality work experience and what you learned from it. "I shadowed a GP and a pharmacist and a physio and a care worker" doesn't tell them anything: "During my attachment with a local GP I saw how important communication and rapport-building were in the doctor-patient relationship. Shadowing allied health professionals showed me the value of communication within the interdisciplinary team." shows that you've actually understood and learned rather than sat ther ein the corner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    Empathy, communication, evidence of quality work experience and what you learned from it. "I shadowed a GP and a pharmacist and a physio and a care worker" doesn't tell them anything: "During my attachment with a local GP I saw how important communication and rapport-building were in the doctor-patient relationship. Shadowing allied health professionals showed me the value of communication within the interdisciplinary team." shows that you've actually understood and learned rather than sat ther ein the corner
    Thank you! I wonder how they score this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpkumar1)

I thought the earliest results were given by Oxbridge in early Jan

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.