Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, taking a sneaky peak at this forum as I used it last year - now a first year at Swansea and currently giving a friend advice on applying.. If you check out the fb page, Swansea's cutoff is 58 this year. Last year I believe it was 57 and 70 places were given for over 250 interviews. Once the 70 offers are made, people who haven't received an offer but were not outright rejected go on a waiting list (about 30-40 people I think? Don't know the exact figures regarding the list or how many eventually got an offer, but I know some first offers go elsewhere, some people don't make their degree grades). Hope this helps, everything gets a little unclear around this point. I didn't visit Swansea before interview, but it instantly became my 1st choice as soon as I did (originally wanted SGL)
    I was only given 2 weeks notice before I interview so just bear this in mind during January!
    Good luck at interview if you scored high enough, Swansea have a pretty thorough interview style and written test, but personally I think much nicer than MMI. Be prepared for some fairly in depth discussion about your ps and medical topics! (Yes, they do read your ps properly).
    Finally, as a friendly tip - whilst I became a bit addicted to reading forum posts, don't let people freak you out too much, chances are most people know as little as the next unless they have been through the process before. Just concentrate on your own motives for studying medicine, ignore the big personalities and remember to be yourself (this is the biggest thing interviewers pick up on, don't bother with any bs!) See you guys in January!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smallcurlygirl)
    Hey, taking a sneaky peak at this forum as I used it last year
    Hi, any chance you would mind explaining about the written part of the interview? Can't find much info about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately they ask interviewees not to discuss the details, keeps it fair! Although I can say it's nothing to stress about or anything you can really revise for.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone on their GAMSAT scores! And for those less successful this year, the important thing is not to let your heads drop and forget how much you want to become a doctor. It will keep you going through the year - I'm sure.

Thank you for updating us on the cut-off. I will be updating the first page shortly.

I think the other piece of important information that I have gleaned from reading everyone's posts today was the post about one of our members not having received their Swansea interview until 2 weeks prior to the date. That would suggest we should not expect any news until New Year? Might encourage everyone to relax for a few months after the anxiety of the past week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiloMilo)
    Congratulations to everyone on their GAMSAT scores! And for those less successful this year, the important thing is not to let your heads drop and forget how much you want to become a doctor. It will keep you going through the year - I'm sure.

Thank you for updating us on the cut-off. I will be updating the first page shortly.

I think the other piece of important information that I have gleaned from reading everyone's posts today was the post about one of our members not having received their Swansea interview until 2 weeks prior to the date. That would suggest we should not expect any news until New Year? Might encourage everyone to relax for a few months after the anxiety of the past week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure if this was the case for everyone, but I know lots were last minute. I had to pull a sickie (totally worth it!).

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiloMilo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe we are to be notified in the coming days/next week. Interviewee open day is 2 Wednesdays from today after all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm going to get the answer I want but does anyone know how Swansea weight the GAMSAT?

Is it the traditional S1+S2+S3(x2)/4 or S1+S2+S3/3??

Sitting on 57 with the former but 59 with the latter
    Not that I'd be too hopeful even if I got over the GAMSAT hurdle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeNerves)
    I don't think I'm going to get the answer I want but does anyone know how Swansea weight the GAMSAT?

Is it the traditional S1+S2+S3(x2)/4 or S1+S2+S3/3??

Sitting on 57 with the former but 59 with the latter
    Not that I'd be too hopeful even if I got over the GAMSAT hurdle.
    Pretty sure it's the traditional weighted score. Though in the past Swansea haven't been too hard and fast with their GAMSAT cut off.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I am going nuts over not having heard from Swansea. Is it really normal for them to take this long? I got 58 in the GAMSAT last year with over 50 in each section, and got an interview for George's based on the second calculation - which I completely and totally messed up.

Hence this year Swansea is my *only* viable option, and I really need it to pay off .

Is there a reason they might not consider me with those scores??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineBall)
    Guys, I am going nuts over not having heard from Swansea. Is it really normal for them to take this long? I got 58 in the GAMSAT last year with over 50 in each section, and got an interview for George's based on the second calculation - which I completely and totally messed up.

Hence this year Swansea is my *only* viable option, and I really need it to pay off .

As in you haven't had an interview offer or something to say you reached the cut off? I haven't heard anything either and I think my GAMSAT should be fine, so I think they just haven't said anything yet?

ReputationRep:
    So this is on the swansea fb page:

'The GAMSAT cut off point for applicants who will receive an offer of an interview at Swansea in January 2015 is 58. This is higher than last year and reflects the very high quality of applicants who have applied this year. '

slightly confused about the wording..does that mean interview invites will be sent in January, or invites will be sent soon for interviews which will be held in january?

Edit: ignore me. I did that thing where you scroll down the page and read..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineBall)

So far I don't think any one has heard back yet so don't worry it isn't just you. Besides you met the cut off so there is stll a chance Though I agree it is frustrating the long waits :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't heard.

Good luck to everybody else who is waiting, too! x

ReputationRep:
    I rang them to clarify this and they said that they had only just collated all the information together and that we would hear from them over the next couple of days (this was yesterday). So anytime from now until Monday I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be giving them until next Weds before calling. Would quite like to go to the day at Swansea on 3rd Dec which is the following week.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I've already told my new job I want 3rd December off. Haven't told them why, though!

ReputationRep:
    What is this Swansea Facebook page that people are posting about? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Would greatly appreciate a link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_L_Y388)
    What is this Swansea Facebook page that people are posting about? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Would greatly appreciate a link.
    https://www.facebook.com/swanseagem?ref=ts&fref=ts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I'll be giving them until next Weds before calling. Would quite like to go to the day at Swansea on 3rd Dec which is the following week.
    Ugh, I'll be giving them until Monday. Terrified my Swansea and SGUL interviews will clash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M150)
    Ugh, I'll be giving them until Monday. Terrified my Swansea and SGUL interviews will clash.
    Now that I think on it, I've never heard of someone's interview dates clashing. An interesting thought though. I know they state they cannot change it but I would imagine something like this being managed ok.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.