Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I like gym lingo.
    I take credit for inventing the first 3 terms there.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I take credit for inventing the first 3 terms there.
    Then I look forward to you inventing more.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely killed it today. My unstoppable progress, that is. I think my body just figured we were taking things too quick. Time to slow down. Hang back a little - stop to smell the roses. There's no rush. With such an abundancy of gains out there, we have all the time in the world.

Code:
    Workout B
    Squats			5x5	55kg	Increase of 2.5kg
    Deadlift		1x5	60kg	No increase
    Standing press		5x5	25kg	No increase
    Bent over row		5x5	37.5kg	Increase of 5kg
    Close grip bench press	3x8	32.5kg	No increase
    Straight bar		3x11	20kg	Failed on 7th rep of final set
    Cable crunches		3x10	60kg	Increase of 5.5kg
    Squats were intense. It was the final set and one rep left to go. Bases were loaded. Was I going to make it? I scrunched up my face really hard and eyed my puny reflection taunting me. It was like a hologram sent back in time to goad me, to push me to become my future self. "Thanks," I grimaced in wordless acknowledgement, and with the power of a herd of wildebeest I overcame gravity's oppression once more, to the sound of all the roaring crowds I could imagine.

Deadlift I decided not to increase and I was glad I didn't since it was still difficult and tough on my back muscles. I also wanted to pay attention to my form, which is improving. Maybe I could have managed a higher weight but I don't want to do something gung-ho before acclimatising properly to the lift.

Standing press was the same. I couldn't have managed another rep despite not increasing the weight from last week. You just wait, standing press, I'll get you. :auto:

Bent over row, however, I succeeded in carrying across last workout's 5kg increase. Take that!

Close grip bench press was exactly the same as last time: failed on the second-to-last rep. I pushed with all my might! But I just couldn't cut it. But it has sown within me the burning CGBP flame. Next time I'm pulling out all the stops!

Straight bar I decided to up to 3x11 and see how far I could take it. I failed on the 8th rep of the final set, which is a net decrease of 1 rep from what I managed on Sunday. When I failed it was like the whole gym went silent in mourning. For a moment it was just me and the echoing quiet of my disappointment. But somewhere deep inside there was a voice. It said challenge exists to be conquered, and if Subo can conquer the X-Factor, I will conquer bicep curls - so help me God!

Cable crunches I upped to 60kg. I had to use handles because someone had offed with the rope. But it didn't matter. For 30 reps I pulled with the force of a Saharan caravan. That was some solid crunching. Good work, abs.

Next workout on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Next workout on Friday.
    Looks like we're doing the same workouts on the same day, now. I did B yesterday and doing A on Friday too

How's the weight going? I'm no expert but I suspect you will definitely have to keep eating and eating given your starting weight and your height if you want to keep increasing the weight. 67kg is really light for 6'1. I have the opposite 'problem'!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    Looks like we're doing the same workouts on the same day, now. I did B yesterday and doing A on Friday too
    Ah, that's only for this week since I cocked things up by forgetting my gym kit on Tuesday. After Friday I'll be training on Sunday, then back to my normal Tuesday/Thursday setup. Training on a Friday is inconvenient for me because I also have martial arts directly after.

How's the weight going? I'm no expert but I suspect you will definitely have to keep eating and eating given your starting weight and your height if you want to keep increasing the weight. 67kg is really light for 6'1. I have the opposite 'problem'!
    Yeah, nutrition is my biggest sticking point. I'm not sure that I've even put on any weight at all despite all the effort and money I've put into it. I'm starting to think that 3,000 calories isn't enough. Which is a problem since I don't know how in the world I'd manage to up my daily intake by another 500.

But it's just a matter of time before I figure it all out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yeah, nutrition is my biggest sticking point. I'm not sure that I've even put on any weight at all despite all the effort and money I've put into it. I'm starting to think that 3,000 calories isn't enough. Which is a problem since I don't know how in the world I'd manage to up my daily intake by another 500.

But it's just a matter of time before I figure it all out.
    It's easy to up your calories! the hard part is not eating too much. I could eat 5k a day if i wanted. Nuts, PB, Milk, protein shakes, mass gainer. all easy.

I started at 60kg. Am now 85kg. Spent a lot of time on 4k cal a day. Was probably too much. Try going up to 3.5k. :yep:
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to up your calories! the hard part is not eating too much. I could eat 5k a day if i wanted. Nuts, PB, Milk, protein shakes, mass gainer. all easy.

I started at 60kg. Am now 85kg. Spent a lot of time on 4k cal a day. Was probably too much. Try going up to 3.5k. :yep:
    Yeah those sound like some good options. Thanks, I'll up to 3,500 then and give that a go. I'll get out my blender and start making some shakes with whole milk, peanut butter, protein powder, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yeah those sound like some good options. Thanks, I'll up to 3,500 then and give that a go. I'll get out my blender and start making some shakes with whole milk, peanut butter, protein powder, etc.

It's very easy to add in extra calories when you know the tasty calorie dense foods you need to hit.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's very easy to add in extra calories when you know the tasty calorie dense foods you need to hit.
    Great! I'm on it.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get the guys who complain about it being "impossible" to eat more calories.

I would love to eat 3.5-4k calories day in, day out, but unfortunately it just makes me fat .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    I just don't get the guys who complain about it being "impossible" to eat more calories.

I would love to eat 3.5-4k calories day in, day out, but unfortunately it just makes me fat .

• Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

I know it's not impossible, but I do find it very difficult. So far I've found it time consuming, expensive, and something that has to be constantly thought about and considered if I don't want to fall behind. I know there are ways to do it better, but I've not found any of it particularly easy so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I know it's not impossible, but I do find it very difficult. So far I've found it time consuming, expensive, and something that has to be constantly thought about and considered if I don't want to fall behind. I know there are ways to do it better, but I've not found any of it particularly easy so far.
    Only if you spend your days trying to eat only "clean" foods like brocolli, chicken and rice- in which case yes I agree it'd be a murderous pain in the arse, but I find it so easy to get 3.5k-4k calories when I eat large servings of calorie dense desserts, snack on crisps/biscuits and drink high calorie milkshakes which I can gladly do on top of 2 regular good size meals of veggies and protein etc...
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

I control my calories to a little over 2000 due to my low activity levels. I know all these feels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Only if you spend your days trying to eat only "clean" foods like brocolli, chicken and rice- in which case yes I agree it'd be a murderous pain in the arse, but I find it so easy to get 3.5k-4k calories when I eat large servings of calorie dense desserts, snack on crisps/biscuits and drink high calorie milkshakes which I can gladly do on top of 2 regular good size meals of veggies and protein etc...
    Haha, well yeah it would be easy if I could eat ice cream and chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Haha, well yeah it would be easy if I could eat ice cream and chocolate.
    Yesterday I had:

1 tin of tuna with 2 slices of bread
    1 protein shake
    2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 rashers bacon
    1 prawn mayonnaise sandwich
    2 chicken breasts and some green beans/broccoli
    1 pack maltesers
    1/2 a chicken with mushy peas and salad from Nandos

I have the opposite problem to you, I used to weigh about 105kg and I need to go to the gym every day to counteract my voracious appetite
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I had:

1 tin of tuna with 2 slices of bread
    1 protein shake
    2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 rashers bacon
    1 prawn mayonnaise sandwich
    2 chicken breasts and some green beans/broccoli
    1 pack maltesers
    1/2 a chicken with mushy peas and salad from Nandos

I have the opposite problem to you, I used to weigh about 105kg and I need to go to the gym every day to counteract my voracious appetite
    Cool. I'm vegetarian which has sometimes made things a bit tougher, but I've been discovering tasty foods that are easy to prep but have high calorie content, like PB&J sandwiches.

Yesterday I had:
    Large bowl of Just Right cereal with unsweetened almond milk
    Fruit salad
    Bowl of porridge
    Banana
    Onion bhaji wrap
    Smokey mixed bean salad
    Honey & mustard pasta
    Potato salad
    Crisps
    Gin and tonic :yy:

Though I ended up being almost 800 calories short so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I control my calories to a little over 2000 due to my low activity levels. I know all these feels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Feels, feels all around!

ReputationRep:
    I understand with people like miser though, eating way more than you're used to is damn hard. Nothing's worse than having a massive plate of pasta infront of you and feeling you're trapped because of no appetite. Slowly increasing intake over time works better than a sudden change i feel.

So many feels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I read the title as miscer and expected something amusing.

Alas.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.