Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)
    What coursework was there, I've never come across and my in both maths and FM.

Sorry if someone had already explained, didn't want to read through again.

Personally I like the changes, although I wish they got rid of decision earlier.
    OCR MEI currently have compulsory coursework for C3, DE (Differential Equations) and NM (Numerical Methods), worth 20% of the module. For C3 it was Numerical Methods (Newton-Raphson etc) and the DE coursework was basically just using DE to model some experiment you conducted. No idea what NM coursework is like. It was such a pain just to get 20 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, it was bugging me for a while that. Explains a lot, I do Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Ding dong the witch is dead, good to see decision maths go
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Hi, what course were you studying at Nottingham?
    Maths (4 year MMath).

ReputationRep:
    From my brief look into the new spec, They realised M1 was way too hard for some and made it easier by removing alllll of friction to M2 and lowering Mechanics calculus from M2 to M1.
    Then they clocked that S2 was way too easy so they pretty much turned a lot of it into S1 looooooool (but is it me or is Poisson no more 0.o)

So decision maths is no more... i liked learning it but tbh the exam was very flawed when it came to its absurd timing... so i dont know how to feel about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    New maths and further maths A Levels are being introduced for first teaching from September 2016.

Click to read the new content for maths and further maths.

These should be read in conjunction with the report from ALCAB.

Decision maths is dead. Exams are longer and less structured. There is no module choice in A Level. There is little choice in FM. Coursework is gone.
    "We see Decision Maths as soft modules that take the place of maths we wish them to know.”

What's your opinion on this? Personally, I'm taking Further Maths this September and this is the module that I'm really looking forward too and it does appear quite difficult. Yet, from when going over some topics from it I can see why it may be considered a bit more 'soft' than Mechanics and Statistics, but still - it's nice to have a variety of maths. :confused:

Also, I have a question:

When are these going to have an affect and on what years? (i.e, new Year 11's, 2015 Year 11's etc?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)
    What coursework was there, I've never come across and my in both maths and FM.

Sorry if someone had already explained, didn't want to read through again.

Personally I like the changes, although I wish they got rid of decision earlier.
    I believe that for AQA that there's coursework for Mechanics and Statistics 1 modules too.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    "We see Decision Maths as soft modules that take the place of maths we wish them to know.”

What's your opinion on this? Personally, I'm taking Further Maths this September and this is the module that I'm really looking forward too and it does appear quite difficult. Yet, from when going over some topics from it I can see why it may be considered a bit more 'soft' than Mechanics and Statistics, but still - it's nice to have a variety of maths. :confused:
    Well, A level Maths isn't there to provide "variety" - it's there to provide a foundation, or stepping stone, for people who are either going to study Maths at uni, or study a subject with a heavy mathematical element - Engineering, Physics, Social Sciences, Economics or Computing.

The Decision stuff at A level is just a mess really - bits of this and that from algorithms, computing etc with no cohesive theme and no requirement for understanding - just plug the numbers into an algorithm and be careful you don't make a mistake! (This was another criticism in the ALCAB report - the current A level rewards people who are "careful" rather than those with genuine understanding of the material).

Also, unlike Mechanics and Stats, the Decision stuff does nothing to reinforce students' fluency in algebra or calculus, or problem-solving generally.

You can't "toughen up" Decision because the underlying mathematics (e.g. efficiency of computer algorithms) is very difficult, so the best thing was to put it out of its misery!

And it's apparent from various threads on TSR that people were taking it as a "soft option" (and more worryingly, it seems to be weakening the teaching profession - a lot of teachers now seem to be unable to teach Mechanics or Stats even to M2/S2 level, which is appalling!)

Also, don't equate "difficulty" with being "worthwhile". You could ask students to multiply 2 twenty-digit numbers without a calculator and they would find it difficult, but it shouldn't be part of A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Maths (4 year MMath).
    What A-levels did you do and what grades did you get? I am thinking of doing the same...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Also, I have a question:

When are these going to have an affect and on what years? (i.e, new Year 11's, 2015 Year 11's etc?)
    current y9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    current y9
    Thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Some students found the Decision modules interesting and enjoyable and found they provided something different from their normal mathematical diet. Although the content was undoubtedly relatively easy some of the examinations were tricky in terms of time management - I often found students who could knock out most modules with 30 minutes or more to spare would find themselves battling against the clock in the Decision exams.

Are/were they useful as a platform for further mathematical study? Not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Some students found the Decision modules interesting and enjoyable and found they provided something different from their normal mathematical diet. Although the content was undoubtedly relatively easy some of the examinations were tricky in terms of time management - I often found students who could knock out most modules with 30 minutes or more to spare would find themselves battling against the clock in the Decision exams.

Are/were they useful as a platform for further mathematical study? Not really.
    Where can i find new spec reports for other subjects (i think computing was announced but not sure)

Or is maths the only one?
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmanvi)
    Where can i find new spec reports for other subjects (i think computing was announced but not sure)

Or is maths the only one?
    Thanks
    The Computer Science A Level subject content was released some time ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    ah great thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Are there any regarding Science? (in-particular Chemistry and Biology)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    New maths and further maths A Levels are being introduced for first teaching from September 2016.

Click to read the new content for maths and further maths.

These should be read in conjunction with the report from ALCAB.

Decision maths is dead. Exams are longer and less structured. There is no module choice in A Level. There is little choice in FM. Coursework is gone.

Having had a quick glance at the proposal I'm a bit saddened. It looks as if this could well stop external candidates, as I am, from doing A level maths.

I used to teach computer science and there was an applied exam where a set of data was supplied a few weeks prior to the exam and students had to manipulate it in a variety of ways. In the exam, the data was presented afresh and sets of questions were asked - the students worked on computers for this.

If this is the intention of the new maths exams the I can't see it being friendly to externals.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Are there any regarding Science? (in-particular Chemistry and Biology)
    These will be released in September.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Having an A-Level in Computer Science sounds so much better than having one in Computing.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiehodgson)
    Having had a quick glance at the proposal I'm a bit saddened. It looks as if this could well stop external candidates, as I am, from doing A level maths.

I used to teach computer science and there was an applied exam where a set of data was supplied a few weeks prior to the exam and students had to manipulate it in a variety of ways. In the exam, the data was presented afresh and sets of questions were asked - the students worked on computers for this.

If this is the intention of the new maths exams the I can't see it being friendly to externals.
    I think we need to see some more details about how it's supposed to work before we can draw any firm conclusions.

I always thought that having coursework within some of the A level Maths syllabi was a deterrent to external/private candidates since they wouldn't have access to course moderation, so maybe there'll be a gain in the other direction. We'll have to wait and see.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.