Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tesco workers refuse to sell Ham & Wine during Ramadan Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prodigal son)
    I'm not a Muslim and no they didn't actually. It's just shows though people can't empathise with the things that don't effect them. People get more offended by the idea they can't get ham and wine than the rights of gay people on a whole.
    I'm not a Catholic, but TSR massively hates on Catholics whilst circlejerking to gay rights, being anti anti-abortion etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Ello Dave!)
    That's slightly different. The owners of the cake company held the belief's, not just an employee. If Tesco, as a whole, decide not to sell alcohol and ham during Ramadan, then fair enough. That is the policy of the company, not a rogue employee, who has no right to decide what can and can not be sold.

For what it's worth, I also agreed with the cake company. They did not want to endorse a political belief that they did not support. It had no nothing to do with the sexuality of the customers.
    Would you agree that equal human rights is political stance? Or just a basic necessity of a civilised society though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    You're crap
    You love me being crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I'm not a Catholic, but TSR massively hates on Catholics whilst circlejerking to gay rights, being anti anti-abortion etc.
    Isn't that called pro choice? Is it gay rights? Or just human rights? You can't really believe in equality if it's not equality to all.

(Original post by TheBBQ)
      You love me being crap
      I'm not gonna disagree:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
      I have actually. I worked in Sainsburys last year.
      Then you'll know their HR policy is to allow checkout staff to refuse sales for whatever reason they please without having to justify it.

Tesco should be fully behind their people, but I have a feeling they'll come down hard, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
      Would you agree that equal human rights is political stance? Or just a basic necessity of a civilised society though?
      I believe equality in human rights come about through moral reasoning, and that a civilized society is one that is built upon this moral foundation. It therefore follows that you can not have a civilized society without equality, in my opinion.

This is all very subjective though, as I don't believe there is an objective morality, or a standard definition to what makes a civilized society. Just look at the divide between the West and the East.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rockrunride)
      Then you'll know their HR policy is to allow checkout staff to refuse sales for whatever reason they please without having to justify it.

Tesco should be fully behind their people, but I have a feeling they'll come down hard, unfortunately.
      Don't recall that if I'm honest.

And I hope they come down like a house collapsing

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      I'm not gonna disagree:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
      :teehee:

ReputationRep:
      It's not just during Ramadan... A Muslim isn't supposed to sell any wine/ham at all. It don't matter if it's Ramadan or not but this guy should have known better before applying for this job that he will have to sell these items. It's his fault.
      • Welcome Squad

(Original post by TheBBQ)
      :teehee:

:slap:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by orange crush)
      Of course he has nobody else to blame and of course they are well within their rights.

My argument is that morally it would be better if they didn't
      Maybe it is not morally acceptable either not to serve a costumer, who happens to have another belief? Every person has the right to get served.

As bitter it might be, one part of fastening is to give up, if that means to give up a job because of your beliefs, than that is what god wants. It does not mean, everyone around you has to adapt, so that you are no more fastening but in fact simply live your everyday life.

(Original post by Reece Sure)
      Sorry if this bursts whatever bubble it is that you're living in, but if he's working at Tesco it's not because he loves the job that much he's willing to sacrifice his closely held beliefs and values. It's because there is nothing else out there, and there are bills to pay. Either that, or face desolution and be unemployed every time a contract states (they don't, by the way) that you have to give up your beliefs for the privilege of working for a supermarket.
      Ahem, no, and if it would be so, than god would not blame him, because he would be forced. As mentioned above it is not only about your own freedom it is also about the right of freedom of the costumers.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 'Ello Dave!)
      I believe equality in human rights come about through moral reasoning, and that a civilized society is one that is built upon this moral foundation. It therefore follows that you can not have a civilized society without equality, in my opinion.

This is all very subjective though, as I don't believe there is an objective morality, or a standard definition to what makes a civilized society. Just look at the divide between the West and the East.
      So while there isn't a universal definitive answer for what is a civilised society. You recognise that the west is the front runner on the equal rights front. Therefore by that , you could strongly argue the west on a whole is more civilised. Thus you basically agree with me in your personal beliefs but will not definitively agree, as we started this exchange on deprecate sides of an argument.

ReputationRep:
      So while there isn't a universal definitive answer for what is a civilised society. You recognise that the west is the front runner on the equal rights front. Therefore by that , you could strongly argue the west on a whole is more civilised. Thus you basically agree with me in your personal beliefs but will not definitively agree, as we started this exchange on deprecate sides of an argument.
      All I have are my personal beliefs. Based on that, the West ticks more boxes for attributes I would assign to a civilized society as opposed to an uncivilized society.

I can't 'definitely' agree. For that I would have to have objective morality.

ReputationRep:
      Don't recall that if I'm honest.

And I hope they come down like a house collapsing
      Corporation over the worker? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
      Corporation over the worker? :sigh:
      If the worker is playing up. Imagine if we all did that? Society would collapse

Can't be arsed driving to Leeds today, so the bus is going to Bradford.

Not going to perform your chemo today sorry.

The bank isn't dispensing money, it's Hanukkah

ReputationRep:
      Well my friend who's a Muslim specifically said in his job requirements that he cannot handle pork/ham whatever and alcohol regardless if he's fasting or not when he was applying for Morrisons. All he does is gap scanning and doesn't work in the pork/ham/alcohol section while gap scanning. This way he is doing his job plus not upsetting any customers.

ReputationRep:
      If the worker is playing up. Imagine if we all did that? Society would collapse

Can't be arsed driving to Leeds today, so the bus is going to Bradford.

Not going to perform your chemo today sorry.

The bank isn't dispensing money, it's Hanukkah
      You've offered a number of absurd situations without offering reason nor rhyme as to how they might come about.

This example is one worker refusing to sell two items and giving a reason for doing so.

Logic doesn't compute.

ReputationRep:
      You've offered a number of absurd situations without offering reason nor rhyme as to how they might come about.

This example is one worker refusing to sell two items and giving a reason for doing so.

Logic doesn't compute.
      If non-Muslims refused to sell halal products, would you side with the customers or the employees

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by orange crush)
      My #1 hatred in this world is lowlife idiots that phone "customer service" teams to complain about employees. This guy probably has a wife and kids and you're actively trying to get him punished. Shocking.

She's a disgrace of a human being and I hope that Tesco support the guy.
      Has the world gone mad ?

Do the vegetarian checkout staff refuse to sell sausages ?

Do the feminists refuse to sell The Sun ?

grrrrrrr

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.