Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    I'm not entirely sure if the staff there (there's only one in the gym at any given time) are qualified trainers. I think their response would simply be "don't do it then". Depending on my schedule and funds I might pay for one private PT session if it persists and it's bothering me that much.

I'm still in the southwest, about an hour from where I lived before (don't want to say exactly where because paranoid).
    Iirc Bristol before

Still in SW... puts you either in Taunton or Exeter

If it's the latter, PM me and I'll tell you where the good gyms are

ReputationRep:
    Would be sensible to check PTs credentials first... I'm yet to meet one at my gym who even knows what low bar squats are... Even a guy with a 250kg deadlift didn't know low bar was a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the pain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Where is the pain?
    It's hard to describe, it's basically on the top of my shoulder blades into my upper arm/rear deltoid, or where the bar rests. It gets worse as I descend but this may be because I raise my elbows too high as I get lower. If I raise my arms and push my elbows back now it still feels sore but is much worse when the bar is on it. I read it could be related to posture and having a bit of a 'hunchback' and that there are stretched which could help.

ReputationRep:
    Today

Squats

60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    70kg 2, 2, 3 (was aiming for 3x3 but I felt faily on the first 2 sets)

Low bar feeling marginally better, it's now possible without searing pain, feels uncomfortable but it's getting there. Bought a foam roller as there's none in the gym to try and loosen my shoulders, also tried some shoulder dislocations exercises in the gym (they're deceivingly hard!).

Bench

30kg 3, 3, 5, 5, 5

Using this bench that had a dip where my bum was, wasn't adjustable so had to keep figuring out the best position. First 2 sets I wasn't set up properly.

Row 35kg 3x5 I hate rows

Felt very clumsy and bumbling today. I'm not used to the layout of this gym and honestly looked like a frigging mental case trying to set stuff up. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    The grim reality of lifting while working full time has hit me. I'm just so exhausted after work that I physically feel weak, maybe it'll make for a nice surprise when I get to go on weekends... Or maybe I'll just have to start getting up at 5am to go before work!

Squats

60kg x 5
    65kg 3x5
    67.5kg 3x3

Dont even want to think about it. I had so many issues, the power rack isn't in front of a mirror and although I know this is a good thing I'm so used to checking if the bar is balanced and my depth .. Felt a bit strange not having any visual cues. Low bar felt weird today, like I was bent over far too much even at the top of my squat. Hmm..

Deadlift

70 1x5
    80 2x2
    85 2x1 (pb)

Woo, that was the first time I've felt like I might not actually be able to lock out on a deadlift, felt good.

OHP... I skipped it cos cba

Assisted pull ups and dips 3x5

Lack lustre at best. Need to get used to my new baseline weakness!

ReputationRep:
    The grim reality of lifting while working full time has hit me. I'm just so exhausted after work that I physically feel weak, maybe it'll make for a nice surprise when I get to go on weekends... Or maybe I'll just have to start getting up at 5am to go before work!

Squats

60kg x 5
    65kg 3x5
    67.5kg 3x3

Dont even want to think about it. I had so many issues, the power rack isn't in front of a mirror and although I know this is a good thing I'm so used to checking if the bar is balanced and my depth .. Felt a bit strange not having any visual cues. Low bar felt weird today, like I was bent over far too much even at the top of my squat. Hmm..

Deadlift

70 1x5
    80 2x2
    85 2x1 (pb)

Woo, that was the first time I've felt like I might not actually be able to lock out on a deadlift, felt good.

OHP... I skipped it cos cba

Assisted pull ups and dips 3x5

Lack lustre at best. Need to get used to my new baseline weakness!
    Do you have flexitime at work so you can leave early and beat the rush?

Nice deadlifting!

ReputationRep:
    I lift 2 days a week after work, get there around 7.30 by the time I've had dinner and loitered to avoid the worst of the crowd then lift 7.45 to 9-9.30. I used to find it hard and need caffeine before hand but it's fine now. Half the battle is getting used to it, half is when you need to get up. I've either lived near the office or eat breakfast whilst travelling so never up before 7.30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I lift 2 days a week after work, get there around 7.30 by the time I've had dinner and loitered to avoid the worst of the crowd then lift 7.45 to 9-9.30. I used to find it hard and need caffeine before hand but it's fine now. Half the battle is getting used to it, half is when you need to get up. I've either lived near the office or eat breakfast whilst travelling so never up before 7.30.
    Yeah I've just gotta get into the habit of doing it. If I'm working 9-5 I have to leave the house at 7.30 which is a bit early but it's doable if I get some early nights.

ReputationRep:
    I wake up at 6am, leave at half 6, get to work for 7am. Try and leave around 4/half 4 most days, Get to gym, Try and leave gym by half 6/7 to be home for around 7/half 7. See gf, eat dinner. repeat.

ReputationRep:
    Get up at half 8. Work by half 9. Finished by 6, head to gym. Home by half 8.

Winning

ReputationRep:
    I could do the same as above but I like overtime at work and I like seeing the gf at home in the evening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You guys all go straight to the gym from work? I'm always too hungry and have to have dinner first. Fat problems.

Today

Squats 60 x 5
    65 x 5
    67.5 3x5

Not great but I know I need to cut myself more slack tbh, I've not been having the best week so hadn't been to the gym. Once I get stuff sorted I can progress again.

Some pain in shoulders, not excruciating. Definitely improving.

Bench

(I've gone over to dumbell bench as I can never get into the rack at peak times. I'll leave barbell for weekends!)

12kg x 5
    16kg 3x5
    20kg 3x5

Row

30 3x5 (don't even...)

Then did some accessory leg/glute work: lunges, split squats, hip thrusts.

ReputationRep:
    i workout before uni, so at about 6am, puts me in a good mood for rest of the day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm up just after 6, out before half 7 and at work before half 8, leave work at 5 and home at 6, head to gym at half 8 and get back at 10. Bed shortly after. Works for me because I couldn't go straight after work when it's busy, or when I haven't eaten recently. Couldn't go before work either as that'd make it way too early and I'm not a morning person.

ReputationRep:
    I don't work at the minute so get up when I want and train when I want, which is awesome. I'm poor though, so you know, swings and roundabouts.

Please sponsor me for just £2 a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    I don't work at the minute so get up when I want and train when I want, which is awesome. I'm poor though, so you know, swings and roundabouts.

Please sponsor me for just £2 a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sponsor scoobie so he can afford his snacks

ReputationRep:
    Today

Squats 65kg 3x5. Quite painful, I hurt my shoulder a bit today as I've been sent on a hardcore physical training course for work and I've had my arms yanked around a lot. So I didn't want to push it. I've found that I get set up then between reps end up rolling the bar further up my back so I'm in a sort of high/low bar hybrid. Not sure it's legit but it feels a bit nicer.

Deadlifts 70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    85kg x 2
    90kg (pb) x 1

So happy with this. I reckon I'll be on 100 in a few sessions.

OHP 20kg 3x5 (**** it, today was not the day)

I swear to god I could write a book about the dumb **** I see at my gym. Today I saw someone dumbell curling in the squat rack. I don't even see how that would happen. There's also always a fight for mirror space, because obviously your workout isn't as effective if you can't see yourself doing it. Oh not to mention the guy who casually decided to sit directly behind me while I was deadlifting... Yeah that's fine, stare at my ass while I lift more than you weigh.

ReputationRep:
    Squats 70kg 3,4,4

Bench 30kg 3x5

Row 35kg 3x5

I now have a dead arm from squats. It was worth it though.

ReputationRep:
    Squats 70kg 3,4,4

Bench 30kg 3x5

Row 35kg 3x5

I now have a dead arm from squats. It was worth it though.
    Nice heavy squats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.