Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lol at all the racist comments towards white people in this thread
    :rofl: How is that racist?

Judging by your definition of racist, then your comment on page 5 agreeing about 'the mentality of black people' would be racist. :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It doesn't I just wanted to throw that out there. And I'm not discriminating at all.
    You're saying SWMs can't celebrate who they are, but other groups can. = discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    ye bit silly being angry at people for wanting to have a festival. No one gets angry when we celebrate chinese new year lol
    What are you on about? Chinese New Year is more in the vain of a Christmas celebration. It has nothing to do with pride.

ReputationRep:
    I see nothing wrong with pride festivals actually it's well justified. Why shouldn't whites be proud of their heritage? their many great accomplishments that many of you are using today.It's easy for non-white people who are allowed to have pride, but there's a double standard that's been imposed on white people for a long time now.Anti-racists declare whites as devil who should be ashamed of being white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeclanCochran)
    It's not quite like that though, is it? Straight white guys have more or less owned the monopoly on every single nice thing in the world ever for the last several thousand years.
    bit of an exaggeration wouldn't you say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    So why should anyone else take any other 'pride' festival seriously? If we are to have equality then we can't discriminate. It's harmless.. it even says everyone welcome.. so it's not exactly discriminating against any groups.
    Think about it.
    Even if it says everyone welcome, doesnt mean a minority person would feel welcome or fit in there because of the fact that it says 'STRAIGHT WHITE GUY'
    I'm not even sure they'd want to go anyway. Anyway I just think this poster is a silly little joke.

I used to think a little like you - but other pride festivals are taken seriously because, as its been said multiples times by various people through this thread, minorities have faced a lot of discrimination in recent history, and still continue with those struggles. Their voices have been silenced in the past, so a festival is a chance for them to say "We're here and we're proud despite all the struggles." It's common sense. Of course if you meet someone from a minority group who thinks differently from this that's fine, just remember they don't speak for all people of that minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    One big lol at your post.

Stop putting words into my mouth. We're talking about the deliberate persecution of groups based on factors they cannot control. I never once said that white people suffering is a wonderful thing :lolwut:

All groups have gone through **** in the form of war, natural disasters etc. There was and still is mass starvation in some African nations. Are we going to deem that genocide? Was the Libyan civil war genocide too? :rolleyes:

Stop with these straw man arguments. Be honest, white men as a group have not suffered as much as other groups in recent years. The haven't been discriminated against on a wide scale for being white and straight.

Tbh I can't take a man who thinks diversity is equivalent to the genocide of white people seriously.

I didn't say diversity was genocide. I said it means less white people.

As for the deliberate targeting of groups, you seem to think only the deliberate targeting of groups because of skin colour counts as persecution, which is completely absurd.

Your original point was that white people have not suffered historically, which is complete bull****. Offensive bull****.

If you want to talk about white people being deliberately targeted by other races, when lets start with the Armenian genocide. Brown people deliberately genocided 1.5 million white men women and children. Does that count in your view?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    :rofl: How is that racist?

Judging by your definition of racist, then your comment on page 5 agreeing about 'the mentality of black people' would be racist. :toofunny:
    not really. Because I was talking about specific people on this website. I could have just used a list of their names instead. But can't really remember.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, you had a point?

Sulking over what? I'm happy that I've been born into the open minded, and tolerant society that exists today. We've really come far as a nation. I'm just giving you a reality check is all. The fact that you deem me being truthful as "sulking" shows your wanting to disacknowledge the truth. I don't know why you're being so resistant to it though.

You can if you want. Just don't expect it to be widely received.

And your point it? :curious:

All of that ^^^ down to people like my Grandfather.

Thank him and I'll end the conversation.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    What are you on about? Chinese New Year is more in the vain of a Christmas celebration. It has nothing to do with pride.
    It's a Chinese festival.

Well replace my example with 'gay pride festival' / 'black history month / dinagyang festival / ramadan' then if you want. They're just festivals specific to one group of people / culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)

As for the deliberate targeting of groups, you seem to think only the deliberate targeting of groups because of skin colour counts as persecution, which is completely absurd.

Your original point was that white people have not suffered historically, which is complete bull****. Offensive bull****.

If you want to talk about white people being deliberately targeted by other races, when lets start with the Armenian genocide. Brown people deliberately genocided 1.5 million white men women and children. Does that count in your view?
    Can you not read? I said recent history. All groups have been enslaved at one point and yes I'd deem that as genocide. That wasn't what you said though. You brought up the Industrial revolution which is frankly an irrelevant and childish argument. Yes white people died. Was it because of their race? No.

Diversity doesn't equal that. People won't call China or Japan diverse would they. Of course in the UK, considering most people are white, there would be a natural decrease in the number of white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)

ye most of the people in this thread are just ignorant and don't know much about history past propaganda. It was **** for everyone at one point or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dario Naharis)
    I see nothing wrong with pride festivals actually it's well justified. Why shouldn't whites be proud of their heritage? their many great accomplishments that many of you are using today.It's easy for non-white people who are allowed to have pride, but there's a double standard that's been imposed on white people for a long time now.Anti-racists declare whites as devil who should be ashamed of being white.
    As far as I know we don't even have black Prides in the UK. We have small prides based on nationality, like Irish Prides, Jamaican Prides etc but no race based prides. There is black pride in America because African American can not trace back their roots. But to get to the point, it's not to say that white people can't be proud of the their heritage, that's fine. But that's not the purpose of Prides. Prides exist to celebrate marginalized/minority groups whom are unsung, oppressed, made to feel less than etc. So why have a white pride when whiteness is celebrated by society and mass media everyday in every way shape & form?

ReputationRep:
    When I attend this Festival, is it alright if one of you pretty darker ladies bring me some Yam or something?

Rice and Peas would be cool. Anything to keep me ticking over. Oh and I'll be expecting you to get the bowl of water, get on your knees and wash mine and my friends hands.

Oh and a bit of Barry White for my iPod.

/EndThread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porksandwich)
    You're saying SWMs can't celebrate who they are, but other groups can. = discrimination.
    I'm saying they don't really need to. Plus they shouldn't feel the need to just because the LGBT community has gay pride. Unless the SWM has penis envy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBallWinner)

All of that ^^^ down to people like my Grandfather.

Thank him and I'll end the conversation.

Regards.
    As well as other ethnic minorities To say that white people are the direct cause for a more tolerant society is laughable. Who did the persecuting in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    As well as other ethnic minorities To say that white people are the direct cause for a more tolerant society is laughable. Who did the persecuting in the first place?
    Say it then...

I wake up and say it every day. And at Church on a Sunday.

Imagine starting your sentence with "Hallo"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBallWinner)
    Say it then...

I wake up and say it every day. And at Church on a Sunday.

Imagine starting your sentence with "Hallo"?
    wtf are you on about? :lolwut:

I wonder how your grandfather would feel knowing his grandson is a racist bigot. Disappointed i bet

ReputationRep:
    wtf are you on about? :lolwut:
    You've still not said "Thank you" to my Grandfather. I'll take it on his behalf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I'm saying they don't really need to. Plus they shouldn't feel the need to just because the LGBT community has gay pride. Unless the SWM has penis envy.
    This. NEED being the key word here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.