Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by viddy9)
      I can't find any studies supporting your assertion that this has "been conclusively proven", but there are many instances of hunting accidents and non-clean kills. The only other objection that I would raise is that even if it is less painful and distressing than the way they die of old age, some of the nonhuman animals which are regularly hunted likely have some self-awareness and wish to go on living, ergo it's not for us to decide when they die.
      All life wishes to go on living, it's the reason for life.
      Plant's want to go on living, it's quite literally the only thing they exist for.

While an emotional argument, it's not really a valid one.

Similarly, there are better alternatives to combatting human overpopulation than randomly killing newborn babies, which are even less rational and self-aware than adult nonhuman animals are: they don't have any sense of their existing over time.
      Alternatve methods, have been found to be less expensive and practically unsustainaible/ineducable.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zen Baphomet)
      All life wishes to go on living, it's the reason for life.
      Plant's want to go on living, it's quite literally the only thing they exist for.
      Plants are not self-aware. They do not want to go on living: they cannot think.

Alternatve methods, have been found to be less expensive and practically unsustainaible/ineducable.
      Could you give me an example of these "alternative methods" please?

(Original post by viddy9)
        Plants are not self-aware. They do not want to go on living: they cannot think.
        They do however have a Biologically ingrained desire even if they lack sentience.

The only difference between us and a plant is the complexity of that desire and its chemical and electrical expression(i.e thought)

Could you give me an example of these "alternative methods" please?
        Could you?

Provide one of the methods you think is a viable alternative to culling and ill show you why its unviable.
        It makes more sense since you made the initial proposal, better than me guessing methods your aware of.

ReputationRep:
        They do however have a Biologically ingrained desire even if they lack sentience.

The only difference between us and a plant is the complexity of that desire and its chemical and electrical expression(i.e thought)
        They don't have a "biologically ingrained desire". A "desire" arises from conscious thought, something which plants clearly lack. Plants' survival is an automatic process. They cannot feel pain and they cannot suffer, therefore they have no desires at all.

Provide one of the methods you think is a viable alternative to culling and ill show you why its unviable.
        It makes more sense since you made the initial proposal, better than me guessing methods your aware of.
        I have already stated in previous posts that 'therapeutic hunting' may be morally permissible. I was merely musing, stating that if there are viable alternatives to culling, they would be preferable. As I've said before as well, I've not done much research so far and I don't have time to at the moment - my question to you in my previous post was just a stepping stone to gaining more knowledge about the subject and any alternatives. (I post this with the assumption that you were not saying there are no viable alternatives, other than infanticide, to combating human overpopulation which could be inferred from the quotation you cited.)

ReputationRep:
        My views are as follows:

If you are hunting for food, environmental reasons (such as necessary culling, perhaps to stop disease or whatever) then I think it is acceptable. If you are hunting for a thrill, or the 'satisfaction of the hunt' then it is cruel, and unnecessary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.