Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    When are you starting work at mcdonalds?
    I haven't applied there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsbreeze)
    So that must be time consuming if each class has a lecture, seminar and tutorial. Which are more important when exam time comes? And what did you do to not get homesick?
    Each class will have lectures, then either tutorials OR seminars, there won't be both. Tutorials/seminars are every fortnight so if you get a lucky balance you'll have two per week, so you get a good while to prepare for them. I think tutorials are most important when exams come as you can perhaps go into more detail on different topics, but you still need to look at the lecture notes to be clear on the basics.

I think keeping busy is a good way of avoiding homesickness, as if your mind is on other things then you think about home less. I definitely recommend joining societies for this reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raddy49)
    Thank you so much for the reassurance!!!

I think I'll apply now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excellent

ReputationRep:
    What are some similarities between studying law and studying history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellkins)
    I wouldn't say you have to put in crazy hours in first year, just enough that you complete all the reading and don't get behind. 2nd and 3rd years are where the workload will go up considerably more so you could start getting used to this in 1st year! There are exams in January and then in May/June and there will be practice essays too, but if I recall correctly there are no assessed essays. (May be wrong on that though)
    Thanks One more thing, when you Finish your law LLB degree are you a qualified lawyer or nah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmaibra)
    Thanks One more thing, when you Finish your law LLB degree are you a qualified lawyer or nah?
    Of course your not have you even done any research into this career path?! You need to take the LPC (legal practice course) if you have done a law degree which is 1 year, or the GDL (Graduate diploma Law) if you haven't done a law degree which is 2 years

ReputationRep:
    What are some similarities between studying law and studying history?
    I'm not really familiar with what a history degree involves but I think they too have to do a lot of reading and have a good memory. And be good at writing essays etc. Can't really help any more than that though sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Oohhh that's alright then I guess Thanks
    I've done some research but was confused on what comes after you finish the degree

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately not! Like what the other poster said it'll be another three years or so, you need to do the Legal Practice Course for one year then do a two year training contract to become a solicitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellkins)
    Unfortunately not! Like what the other poster said it'll be another three years or so, you need to do the Legal Practice Course for one year then do a two year training contract to become a solicitor.
    Oh wow seems really long:0 I'll look into it more though, Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow seems really long:0 I'll look into it more though, Thank you.
    You're welcome! It is long but a law degree is a good one to have regardless of whether you actually go on to qualify

ReputationRep:
    I emailed leicester uni about not having a C in maths and they said:
    ' the only GCSE requirement for this course is grade C or above in English Language.'
    Soooo maths won't be a problem

ReputationRep:
    I emailed leicester uni about not having a C in maths and they said:
    ' the only GCSE requirement for this course is grade C or above in English Language.'
    Soooo maths won't be a problem
    Yay! That's great!

ReputationRep:
    Is it difficult to enter the 2 year LLB program after your first year?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know when we get the freshers and registration info in the mail? I've heard its sometime this month but does any one know exactly when?

ReputationRep:
    Is it difficult to enter the 2 year LLB program after your first year?

If you ask the law reception they'll tell you for sure, I guess you could switch to it but it may be that you have to be doing the 2 year course from the start. I'm not sure though, everyone in first year does the same things so there's no reason why you couldn't switch onto it after first year I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz4444)
    Does anybody know when we get the freshers and registration info in the mail? I've heard its sometime this month but does any one know exactly when?

I can't help with an exact date sorry... I would imagine it'll be near the end of the month though, and after results day.

ReputationRep:
    Just got in to Leicester to study law, any recommendations on first year accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradley43)
    Just got in to Leicester to study law, any recommendations on first year accomodation?

Congratulations! Was that as insurance choice/through adjustment/clearing if you haven't applied for it already? I lived in catered accommodation in John Foster Hall, and it was a very nice place to live, the kitchens were a good size even though we didn't really need them, the rooms are also a good size and I'm pretty sure they're all en-suite. They are the most expensive though, and some people said they felt that it was a bit antisocial. I don't really agree but I think Beaumont and Digby Halls may be more social, as there are more people in one block I guess, rather than having separate flats I think it's divided into floors, whereas in John Foster it's only 5 per flat with two flats per floor, each block with four or five floors. Beaumont/Digby etc are also cheaper. But there's lots of choice in the Oadby village so it just depends on how much you want to pay and whether you want catered and en-suite.
    There's also accommodation called 'City Living' in Nixon and Opel courts, which I have never been in but are really convenient for uni, you wouldn't need the bus pass. They tend to get more postgrads/third years in them though.

Try this link if you need any help with how to apply http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/apply-online

ReputationRep:
    I'm really interested in the law courses at Leicester Uni. I want to know if the course has a lot of like oral assesments such as presentations. or is it Just essay and exam based?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.