Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Or Service Management
    Or Strategy and Architecture
    Or Business Analysis
    Or Change Control and Testing...
    Which you will find is right across industries and not specific to IT.

Software Development OTOH is very specific to IT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Computer science is not the same as IT. Just saying.
    Please, tell me moar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysioMatt)
    'With minimal work'. Explains why you're unemployed if that's your attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are living in the land of the hypothetical. I can hypothesize too, look: all with 2.2's are dumb and/or too lazy to overcompensate for their lack of natural ability.

ReputationRep:
    Go army. Be soldier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Please, tell me moar
    ok lol

IT can be just about using applications like Open Access and creating database entry stuff or business etc. Computer science will go more into the theory of computing and involves lots of actual coding.

ReputationRep:
    Im not even in Uni yet and I have a job that payes above minimum wage. I should be counting my lucky stars, if experience working at mcdonalds part time would help me in the slightest later on in life, that is...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    In primary education. For secondary, you need subject knowledge at undergrad level.
    But I really enjoy psychology and not many unis in london do primary teaching (full 3 year course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All-rounder)
    Im not even in Uni yet and I have a job that payes above minimum wage. I should be counting my lucky stars, if experience working at mcdonalds part time would help me in the slightest later on in life, that is...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    It does it shows u handle pressure people know about there tayloristic methods

ReputationRep:
    ok lol

IT can be just about using applications like Open Access and creating database entry stuff or business etc. Computer science will go more into the theory of computing and involves lots of actual coding.
    Sooo computer science is an element within IT?
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Tom_Ford)
    What? I got a 2.1 from a RG uni in Law with relatively minimal work. I am still out of a job since graduation in 2013. It is very difficult out there, very few jobs to give and intense competition.
    Was it qualifying? Did you not get any TC's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    The problem is, you learn on a CS course, what people learn in an IT course by default.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    Computer science is a challenging degree compared to other degree. Other subjects you can get away with making mistakes and come out with a good grade whereas in my degree if we couldn't hand in a working program we would pretty much fail the module
    What? And a law degree isn't challenging?

I think it's your attitude that's preventing you from getting a job. You're sitting on your high horse expecting a job simply because you got a degree in computer science....you got crappy honours. Perhaps it's time you accept your worthless degree and work for free to get experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    The problem is, you learn on a CS course, what people learn in an IT course by default.
    Sorry, whys that a problem? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Sorry, whys that a problem? :s
    IT is a watered down version of CS, that's why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I would say it is a more fundamental subject and more academically rigorousness that give a deeper understanding of computing and how ti works.

"Computer science deals with the theoretical foundations of information and computation, together with practical techniques for the implementation and application of these foundations" - wiki

IT just means Information Technology. On an IT course or apprenticeship you are probably going to be learning how to use software to solve problems or create databases with some basic coding. CS will probably involve more theory in programming languages and proper full on coding along with more mathematically in depth concepts.

That's just my understanding, I could be wrong :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    IT is a watered down version of CS, that's why.
    On a CS course you learn a watered down version of CS??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    But I really enjoy psychology and not many unis in london do primary teaching (full 3 year course)
    Well, you only need one place at one uni.
    • Welcome Squad

Mate, you can get a job at McDonald's!!!
    I know someone who was a bin man before getting into a very well paying, well respected field.
    I don't know how they did it, but they did.

Hey i know people who sent out 100's of job applications before getting 1 interview, which he landed and earns a lot. He was even on benefits because he had no money.

So just keep trying op, it will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    On a CS course you learn a watered down version of CS??
    I would say it is a more fundamental subject and more academically rigorousness that give a deeper understanding of computing and how ti works.

"Computer science deals with the theoretical foundations of information and computation, together with practical techniques for the implementation and application of these foundations" - wiki

IT just means Information Technology. On an IT course or apprenticeship you are probably going to be learning how to use software to solve problems or create databases with some basic coding. CS will probably involve more theory in programming languages and proper full on coding along with more mathematically in depth concepts.

That's just my understanding, I could be wrong :dontknow:
    That is really easy to do.

CREATE DATABASE dbname;

You don't need 3 years to learn it. 1 hour more like.

TBH I don't know what happens in an IT degree, but it sounds like a waste of time from what you wrote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I think many people misunderstand the word "computer science". Computer science is an abstract subject that draws heavily from maths and formal logic in order to investigate problem solving. Computer programming (and not computer science) is a better word and it is this what kids might be learning from now on. And yes, you could say that computer programming is an element of IT (where IT is an incredibly loose term).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.