Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    That requires more luck than anything else. As markets are chaotic, even the greatest of geniuses, could not calculate predictions from chaos.

Genius is the ability to make intellectual leaps, in areas were everybody else hits a wall.
    I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't actually. Because these intellectual leaps depend as much on luck and work ethic as they do raw potential (which I think genius typically infers). I would actually, for all their faults, use something like an IQ test to define genius. So a very high g factor would be considered a genius (g is general intelligence), what percentile is debatable, but more than 3 standard deviations from the mean is impressive while still measurable (just). The advantage of using g is that it is quantitatively defined as-well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    I don't actually. Because these intellectual leaps depend as much on luck and work ethic as they do raw potential (which I think genius typically infers). I would actually, for all their faults, use something like an IQ test to define genius. So a very high g factor would be considered a genius (g is general intelligence), what percentile is debatable, but more than 3 standard deviations from the mean is impressive while still measurable (just). The advantage of using g is that it is quantitatively defined as-well.
    3 standard deviations from the mean ?. So you think an iq of 145+ is impressive. Mean 100 sd 15. 3 sd's puts them in the top 0.1 % . An iq of 145+ is in the top 0.1%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jordanap)
    Men are just naturally more clever. The efforts girls put in can only go so far

Also - harder subjects ie Maths and Sciences are more populated by men. Easier subjects about 'opinions' like English and Psychology are more populated by women

It is weird though, women have been cooking for thousands of years, yet the best chefs are men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Female self made billionaires

1,Wu Yajun, Chinese, Property development, 3.9 billion
    2. Rosalie Mera, Spanish, Clothing, 3.5 billion
    3. Elena Baturina, Russian, Construction, 2.9 billion
    4. Doris Fisher, American, Clothing, 2.4 billion
    5. Xiu Li Hawken, UK citizen, property development, 2.4 billion
    6. Oprah Winfrey, American, Media, 2.4 billion
    7. Giulana Benetton, Italian, Clothing, 2.1 billion
    8. Chu Lam Yiu, Chinese, Flavourings and fragrances, 2.1 billion
    9. Zhang Xin, Chinese, property development, 2 billion
    10. Yan Cheung, Chinese, Waste paper, 1.7 billion
    11. Meg Whitman, American, Internet commerce, 1.3 billion
    12. Chan Laiwa, Chinese, property development, 1.1 billion
    13. Lei Jufang, Chinese, Medicines, 1.1 billion
    14. J.K. Rowling, British, Books, 1 billion

Also Denise coates is the founder of bet365 and has over a billion.. but females are stupid and need to get back in the kitchen :rolleyes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_billionaires
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_billionaires

Female billionaires are a tiny minority of the total, your post doesn't support your claim at all, if anything it goes against it.

ReputationRep:
    lol who cares, the average man and the average woman are both utter genetic trash and failures in our society.

Society should just purge anyone below 7/10 looks wise and let the good looking people procreate to make the human race more aesthetic.

Looks = money = status > Intelligence, genius, personality, confidence. Legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what is this)
    lol who cares, the average man and the average woman are both utter genetic trash and failures in our society.

Society should just purge anyone below 7/10 looks wise and let the good looking people procreate to make the human race more aesthetic.

ReputationRep:
    For god sake OP just shut up about women for once.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps men and women are more likely to care about different things, or to have different criteria to determine what constitutes being "successful"? I mean, from a biological and evolutionary perspective, one would expect that it's not only their reproductive systems that are different, but also their skills and priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    3 standard deviations from the mean ?. So you think an iq of 145+ is impressive. Mean 100 sd 15. 3 sd's puts them in the top 0.1 % . An iq of 145+ is in the top 0.1%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes sure, its pretty damn rare while still being believable. g any higher than that is extremely dubious due to increasing difficulty for testing at extreme ranges.

ReputationRep:
    The traditional roles of men and women - in the most simplistic and biological form - are quite simple. Women carry the children, and then stay within a safe dwelling to take care of them. Men are the hunters, physically and mentally violent to act as effective killing machines. Indeed, we see evidence of this all throughout our society. Women, generally are more compassionate; what's the ratio of serial killers between men and women? Men, however, are more likely to exhibit extreme intelligence. Why? In the wild, men had to be very strategic in their hunting practices; and those that were less intelligent were removed from the gene pool by natural selection. Thus, we have more logical men, and more caring women.
    Now this is conjecture, but perhaps that's why more men are interested in maths and science than women; not due to gender stereotypes, but as a result of the more strategic and logical minds of men.
    "Is genius almost exclusively male?" No. But, it's certainly more likely.

ReputationRep:
    There is very little evidence that the difference between male and female brains are caused by anything other than cultural/environmental factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyYYYY)
    There is very little evidence that the difference between male and female brains are caused by anything other than cultural/environmental factors.
    How would cultural factors explain the greater proportion of males with both very high, and very low intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    How would cultural factors explain the greater proportion of males with both very high, and very low intelligence?
    No two brains are wired the same. Surely this shows that environmental factors have a huge impact on how brains (and intelligence) develop. Your brain (especially during infancy) is extremely plastic. As for the question of why men are more likely to have very low intelligence than women, I don't know. It could be the type of upbringing or how your parents treated you. This is why I hope to become a neuropsychologist almost a decade from now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what is this)

True. The only thing intelligence is good for is to be able to earn enough money to afford plastic surgery and a make over. Legit.

ReputationRep:
    No two brains are wired the same. Surely this shows that environmental factors have a huge impact on how brains (and intelligence) develop. Your brain (especially during infancy) is extremely plastic. As for the question of why men are more likely to have very low intelligence than women, I don't know. It could be the type of upbringing or how your parents treated you. This is why I hope to become a neuropsychologist almost a decade from now.
    So you don't know, yet you somehow know that there is no trait for intelligence on the Y-chromosome? How do you know this for certain, or is it just wishful thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
    So you don't know, yet you somehow know that there is no trait for intelligence on the Y-chromosome? How do you know this for certain, or is it just wishful thinking?
    Stop placing words in my mouth. I didn't say I know.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you re-read this article and its references - especially if you want to study neuropsychology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosc...ex_differences

ReputationRep:
    Stop placing words in my mouth. I didn't say I know.
    Sorry, misunderstood and I am glad you acknowledge that you don't know whether differences in the male and female brain are caused by genetics or not.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, misunderstood and I am glad you acknowledge that you don't know whether differences in the male and female brain are caused by genetics or not.
    Right. I know barely anything about neuropsychology yet. It's something I aim to attempt to understand in the future though. Although with the brain being the astoundingly complex thing that it is, I doubt we will for a while.

I suggest you re-read this article and its references - especially if you want to study neuropsychology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosc...ex_differences
    Thanks for the link but I usually try to avoid Wikipedia if I can. I enjoy reading journals though and there's a lot of them for both sides of the argument. Like I said, hopefully one day we can find some sort of final truth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.