Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents have more of an issue with me dating outside my "class" than my race lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What's your caste?
    Suthar, although many of my cousins have married into other castes, so I guess it's pretty much a non-issue. In fact, one of my cousins has even married an Indian who's not Gujarati (she's Marathi), so I guess as long as I date an Indian, it's okay

ReputationRep:
    My parents aren't backwards, they wouldn't care.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they'd want me to date at all, just get married to someone of their religion which is the main thing. I personally couldn't care less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Suthar, although many of my cousins have married into other castes, so I guess it's pretty much a non-issue. In fact, one of my cousins has even married an Indian who's not Gujarati (she's Marathi), so I guess as long as I date an Indian, it's okay
    What's the general Gujarati view on dating/marrying a Punjabi?

ReputationRep:
    My family don't mind but my mother wants me to marry an Egyptian (like me) because we wouldn't have to worry about when to go to the other's country to see their family :rolleyes:

My parents would be happy if I dated; never mind outside my race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facetious)
    What's the general Gujarati view on dating/marrying a Punjabi?
    I'm not particularly sure to be honest haha!

They seem like a great bunch though, a close school friend is Punjabi and I'm living with Canadian Punjabis (uni friends, among others) next year
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My parents want me to marry a Hindu (I'm a Hindu myself). Also, unless you're a Hindu, you may not know that Hindus are also sub-divided into different types, and I'm a 'Lohana', so my parents would like me to marry a Lohana boy. I want to marry a Lohana too - so it's a win win!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Lohana part of the merchant class?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The joys of Indian social system. Or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Skin colour wouldn't matter to them, but if I dated a muslim regardless of skin colour(which I wouldn't) they would have serious issues with that.

ReputationRep:
    My parents want me to date within my race, not that i care. It's my life, i'll do what i want.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Arab (Libyan) so my parents want me to marry someone who's also Arab (preferably Libyan) and obviously a Muslim. There would be a lot of hassle if the guy wasn't Arab (i.e Pakistani/Afghan), although my parents would eventually be cool with it, I don't want to be in that position so I'd probably limit myself to Arabs.

My kids would be allowed to marry anyone as long as they're a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonriver96)
    My parents want me to date within my race, not that i care. It's my life, i'll do what i want.
    Preach http://youtu.be/kJa2kwoZ2a4

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The awkward moment when you're black and muslim haha thanks guys , personally I wouldn't care and I don't think my family would either as I have various religions and races in my family

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    crazy cat lady it is
    haha
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkinsear)
    Skin colour wouldn't matter to them, but if I dated a muslim regardless of skin colour(which I wouldn't) they would have serious issues with that.
    Why?

I've never even asked whether my parents would care, considering they never made anything of who I was friends with I would guess they would be okay with it.

Also my parents are well aware that if they don't respect me or my life decisions I'll be off and they wont ever see me again...

ReputationRep:
    parents want their children to be happy. You are more likely to stay in a relationship if you share interests and values, that is why arranged marriages can work. If you date outside your race you are less likely to share interests and values, therefore your parents may feel uneasy and want to see that you share enough to have a permanent future.

I would be unhappy if my child dated someone who was muslim or Indian because of the way they treat their women and their reluctance to integrate with other cultures. If the individual didn't act in a misogynist way I'd feel better about them but I'd still be concerned about whether their relatives would be a problem. I wouldn't be pleased about an orthodox Jewish family for similar reasons. If my child dated someone from the same race I'd also be concerned about whether they shared enough to have a future together and want to see them demonstrate that but I'd assume that they'd have some values in common.

It is normal for a parent to be concerned about the person their child is dating and if they will make them happy, it is racisist if you are convinced they will make your child unhappy without meeting the person or knowing anything about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    parents want their children to be happy. You are more likely to stay in a relationship if you share interests and values, that is why arranged marriages can work. If you date outside your race you are less likely to share interests and values, therefore your parents may feel uneasy and want to see that you share enough to have a permanent future.
    ...Really?

ReputationRep:
    I'm Native American and we're all about preserving our culture and people. But we often mix here with whites and Latin Americans and blacks, sometimes Pacific Islanders. We just mix mainly because these groups like Native Americans and we just like everyone, sadly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.