Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vimto39)
    A teacher at my college told us that the A and U boundaries have been 'squished' together, meaning that generally a U was nearer 50% as opposed to nearer 40% last year. This is quite significant on two counts; it makes it a lot harder to pass, and it means there are very few marks distinguishing between the B, C, D, E grades - so a small number of marks can have grave consequences. Combining this with having all the exams in one session, and much harder exams, the margin of error is much higher I think this is the reason for people getting lower than expected results, rather than Edexcel markers across many disciplines all making a vast number of errors.
    Nawww, couldn't actually be something as logical as this...

Every year a bunch of people think their exam boards have messed up. Note that largely only the people who do unexpectedly badly come online to whine in internet forums, shifting the perception of how well (badly) people have done when in reality the vast majority get roughly what they except and so remain silent about it.

The usual culprits are as follows:

-People are not as smart as they think they are (its a well known phenomenon that people of average or below average intelligence tend to overestimate their abilities, whereas the reverse is true for highly intelligent individuals (they tend to overestimate the ability of others and so rate themselves relatively less intelligent)).
    -People are not as good at their subjects as they think (a corollary of the above).
    -People don't realize that good performance in coursework/practical assessments has little bearing on good exam performance.
    -People do not seem to grasp that good performance in previous exam papers does not guarantee good performance in subsequent papers.
    -People are not marking their practice past papers critically and are being over generous/giving undeserved marks to themselves/over-lenient with "what they would have got had they been really trying".
    -People's teachers praise them more than they deserve/over-predict them so they end up expecting to do better than they do.
    -People's teachers mark their mock assessment work too generously.
    -People frequently make mistakes in exams they they are not aware of, and more specifically in scientific based papers, fail to realize that a correct final answer is not necessary worth full marks if certain procedural steps have been left out due to the setup in official mark schemes.

Combine the aforementioned with what I have quoted, and it ends up being the case that a handful of lost marks can cause a big change in the grade you receive!

Of course then there is there a small (!) minority of papers that have been substantively mis-marked, but you can never know if this is the case with your paper unless you ask to see it/get it re-marked. Be honest and self critical with your results and you to decide if you are truly likely to fall in this camp.

No offence was intended with the creation of this list (although I'm sure I caused much) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peczek96)
    I do Geography with edexcel and all year i had been getting A's in mocks and high marks in essays.. then i got to the GEO1 exam and found the paper really hard, Geography is my favourite subject and i worked really hard, ran out of time and half the stuff i revised didnt even come up!! I had a complete melt down and came out the exam in tears.. Came to tears again when i got an D overall because i got a D in GEO1 and a C in GEO2... I'm absolutely gutted ... But maybe it was my fault for falling apart :/
    Geography's my favourite too, i wanted to do it at uni! In AS last year i got 95% and two As, but this year for GEO3 I got a C and GEO4 I got a B, was very disappointed and expected to much better. For A2 be prepared to revise for stuff that won't come up, I revised 6 case studies for the water topic and didn't even choose that question

ReputationRep:
    for my politics i was a solid A grade student - with a good chance of achieving A* and i went into my exams really confident - i used to revise for 6/7 hours a day - but for some reason even though i came out of my exams really confident having answered every question thoroughly- i got a D for my unit 4 which resulted in me getting a B overalll and although i got the grades that i needed to achieve for my firm choice, i feel like ive been played> there is no way i got a D on unit 4, i've been doing politics long enough to know when if ive done well or not in an exam. the lowest ive ever got for politics was a B for AS in my first exam and even that was only two ums marks off an A.
    despite getting into uni, im really angry that the B does not reflect my capability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliOkayama)
    Could you tell me how you send a form online? I thought you had to do it through school, but this would be very inconvenient for me.
    you must call them and say you are a private candidate so they will email you a form, I'm actually trying to get my hands on the access for scripts form but I received the 'review of marking' form which is already an request for an appeal. They are so incompetent, I called them the first time and a helpful lady told me she would send me the form however she did not so I called again and someone else said I could only apply through my center so when I corrected him, he send me the wrong form!! Moreover I was put on hold for like 3 hours.
    Be quick, the deadline is the 22th of aug!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peczek96)
    I do Geography with edexcel and all year i had been getting A's in mocks and high marks in essays.. then i got to the GEO1 exam and found the paper really hard, Geography is my favourite subject and i worked really hard, ran out of time and half the stuff i revised didnt even come up!! I had a complete melt down and came out the exam in tears.. Came to tears again when i got an D overall because i got a D in GEO1 and a C in GEO2... I'm absolutely gutted ... But maybe it was my fault for falling apart :/

Ask to view a photocopy of your scripts to be sure they haven't made any mistakes!

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I was predicted an A for History, expected a B, got a C. It was my Russian History exam - I misread the question, but I'm pretty sure it's due to how they laid out the paper. You had to tick the two questions you were doing on one side, then keep flicking back to see the question. But even then everything I wrote was still within the time frame, so I'm surprised they could deduct so many marks. If it was just me that got a low mark (I got an E in that paper, an A in my Irish History paper) then I would probably have understood that it was my fault, but most people in my year got lower than expected marks in that paper despite the teaching being far better for that subject.

I'm going to resit it, but I am tempted to ask for a transcript just to see if they did give me any marks for the question I messed up on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arnoldk96)
    for my politics i was a solid A grade student - with a good chance of achieving A* and i went into my exams really confident - i used to revise for 6/7 hours a day - but for some reason even though i came out of my exams really confident having answered every question thoroughly- i got a D for my unit 4 which resulted in me getting a B overalll and although i got the grades that i needed to achieve for my firm choice, i feel like ive been played> there is no way i got a D on unit 4, i've been doing politics long enough to know when if ive done well or not in an exam. the lowest ive ever got for politics was a B for AS in my first exam and even that was only two ums marks off an A.
    despite getting into uni, im really angry that the B does not reflect my capability.
    I'm basically the same as you, but for History unit 3. I had done really well in all mocks since November last year (minimum 32/40, same day as French speaking exam so didn't revise History). How can I subsequently get 65%?

I sent it for a remark on Friday, hoping the priority remark will arrive early next week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysalex)
    Hi guys, I've just found this thread and it's incredibly frustrating to see all these mess ups happening.

I'm writing on behalf of a friend, who's fluent in Italian, was predicted an A, both he and his teacher said the oral exam went well, and ended up with a U. There has to be some mistake here as there is just no way he deserves a U. But what should he do? I know you can ask for a photocopy of the paper but this was an oral exam.

Any advice would be appreciated. The school is being very unhelpful and has just told him to retake it next year.

edit: to the people saying that this is ridiculous and exam boards dont make mistakes: yes, I think there are people on here blaming the board unecessarily, but I also believe that Edexcel can have slip ups. That's why they offer remarks etc, because they accept this can happen.
    It's like my friend who got all U's in his best subject-biology but this is definitely worth appealing. You must get your friend to call edexcel and say he is a 'private candidate' so they can email him the ATS (access to exam scripts form).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtisticFlair)
    I'm basically the same as you, but for History unit 3. I had done really well in all mocks since November last year (minimum 32/40, same day as French speaking exam so didn't revise History). How can I subsequently get 65%?

I sent it for a remark on Friday, hoping the priority remark will arrive early next week...
    is your university place dependent on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Handles)
    but most people in my year got lower than expected marks in that paper despite the teaching being far better for that subject.
    how do you judge the quality of teaching? If the majority of my students did bad then I would look at what went wrong during the year in respect to teaching and my own marking since I would think that it is very unlikely for more than 1 student to be affected negatively by the marking. Scripts are allocated randomly and one single examiner will never mark a full script.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    If you request papers back how long it takes depends on the examination board. The quickest one is Edexcel then OCR, AQA takes ages since most scripts hard copies not scanned. If you request a script you cannot have priority marking so I would recommend priority marking for A2 student and request scripts for AS students.
    My uni place doesn't count on this as I've got my place but I feel that an E in unit 5 was far from expected. I've emailed my exams officer and waiting for a reply.

Which is the best service to request? Priority?
    Plus you say that I cannot do priority and request a script so can I ask for priority remark on one unit (Biology Unit 5) and request a script for a maths paper?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naby08)
    My uni place doesn't count on this as I've got my place but I feel that an E in unit 5 was far from expected. I've emailed my exams officer and waiting for a reply.

Which is the best service to request? Priority?
    Plus you say that I cannot do priority and request a script so can I ask for priority remark on one unit (Biology Unit 5) and request a script for a maths paper?

Thanks
    if you got your place then I don't see the need for priority marking. You can get your scripts back and if your tutor finds a problem then get it remark.

ReputationRep:
    It seems weird. One of my units, in my class we were predicted As and Bs across the board, ended up with B being the highest. I got full UMS in the other unit, and a C in the dodgy one! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWCW)
    It seems weird. One of my units, in my class we were predicted As and Bs across the board, ended up with B being the highest. I got full UMS in the other unit, and a C in the dodgy one! :confused:
    I think different examiners mark different units because my exam results seem dodgy too, but at least they didnt screw me over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexKay99)
    It's like my friend who got all U's in his best subject-biology but this is definitely worth appealing. You must get your friend to call edexcel and say he is a 'private candidate' so they can email him the ATS (access to exam scripts form).
    Hmmm, I just have a feeling lying about something like that could back fire.

ReputationRep:
    Get the papers back and remark :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bet this happens every year. People who haven't revised enough or have overestimated their ability. Also, I'd wager a lot who make the mistake of thinking that learning course content is enough. Learn mark schemes. It isn't how exams would work in a perfect world, but learning mark schemes will get you the grades you want in the real world.

And yeah, as everyone with half an inch of common sense is saying, if you're so convinced that EDEXCEL have screwed you over (or, more accurately, your marker has) then get yourself a damn remark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vimto39)
    A teacher at my college told us that the A and U boundaries have been 'squished' together, meaning that generally a U was nearer 50% as opposed to nearer 40% last year. This is quite significant on two counts; it makes it a lot harder to pass, and it means there are very few marks distinguishing between the B, C, D, E grades - so a small number of marks can have grave consequences. Combining this with having all the exams in one session, and much harder exams, the margin of error is much higher I think this is the reason for people getting lower than expected results, rather than Edexcel markers across many disciplines all making a vast number of errors.
    Study post 109 carefully and then convince me that it was harder to pass Edexcel A2 or AS Maths this year.

ReputationRep:
    An edexcel related issue, but one which also extends to OCR - I did a level history with the former and english lit with the latter, and got a high C and low B respectively when I was predicted A*s in both and felt that neither could be worse than a high A when I came out of the exam. Since results day I've been taking about whether it was me or the exam boards who screwed up, and although I appreciate what William Turtle says above, I genuinely don't think I got what I deserved. I scored full marks over the entirety of my RS A-level and got 197/200 in A2 politics.

One thing I was thinking about, however, was my handwriting - it's absolutely disgusting, so basically my question is does anyone think it's possible that this could be the reason for these unexpectedly low marks? An examiner just giving up, perhaps motivated by this completely inappropriate bonus in the case of edexcel....

Or is this all just wishful thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bored565)
    An edexcel related issue, but one which also extends to OCR - I did a level history with the former and english lit with the latter, and got a high C and low B respectively when I was predicted A*s in both and felt that neither could be worse than a high A when I came out of the exam. Since results day I've been taking about whether it was me or the exam boards who screwed up, and although I appreciate what William Turtle says above, I genuinely don't think I got what I deserved. I scored full marks over the entirety of my RS A-level and got 197/200 in A2 politics.

One thing I was thinking about, however, was my handwriting - it's absolutely disgusting, so basically my question is does anyone think it's possible that this could be the reason for these unexpectedly low marks? An examiner just giving up, perhaps motivated by this completely inappropriate bonus in the case of edexcel....

Or is this all just wishful thinking?
    when an script is not legible it gets send into a pool in which a senior examiner would be looking at it and mark it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.