Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow. I'm so sorry to those of you who got rejected because of this. Totally out of order for them to only mention this AFTER everyone has applied!!

ReputationRep:
    Going to have to unsubscribe from this thread - jumping every time I get a reply email...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grad1202)
    Apparently all the rejections come out over a few days and then they send invites. So at least we'll all know by the start of next week. Even if I know it's a no!
    Over a few days :eek: How do you know?! Going to get nothing useful done if that's the case. May as well take a holiday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am1992)
    Over a few days :eek: How do you know?! Going to get nothing useful done if that's the case. May as well take a holiday!
    Saw it on the GEP thread, been that way over the last few years.

ReputationRep:
    I swear the way they give out rejections is totally unfair and uncalled for. Just reject everybody in one day and get it over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grad1202)
    Saw it on the GEP thread, been that way over the last few years.
    Cheers. Email and TSR officially going off now!

Bad luck to all those rejected so far, totally in agreement with everyone else that changing the UKCAT requirements after applications are in is out of order.

ReputationRep:
    Wut - hey place more emphasis on VR? That is crazy because you can usually just read half of the texts and guess the rest, and then it depends on luck how well you guess and I think mostly there isn't even time for an 'educated guess' if they think that marks the good VR scorers as intelligent. It is also rather random how long and easy the texts are. Wah, I have average 762.5 but VR is my lowest at 630 or 640 or so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yurilein93)
    Wut - hey place more emphasis on VR? That is crazy because you can usually just read half of the texts and guess the rest, and then it depends on luck how well you guess and I think mostly there isn't even time for an 'educated guess' if they think that marks the good VR scorers as intelligent. It is also rather random how long and easy the texts are. Wah, I have average 762.5 but VR is my lowest at 630 or 640 or so!
    It seems they say its only a stronger weighting, rather than solely using VR so your good average will still stand you in good stead!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xxyya)
    It seems they say its only a stronger weighting, rather than solely using VR so your good average will still stand you in good stead!
    Good luck
    I just read in the other thread, the grad entry one, that they weigh it 2fold. Which probs means the others still count ('1fold'). I'd have adjusted 738. Hopefully this will rescue me from a rejection :/ Can't afford to lose my UKCAT unis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yurilein93)
    I just read in the other thread, the grad entry one, that they weigh it 2fold. Which probs means the others still count ('1fold'). I'd have adjusted 738. Hopefully this will rescue me from a rejection :/ Can't afford to lose my UKCAT unis!
    It doesn't say that; it just says they placed "more weighting" and the guy who posted it said "2 fold". That isn't reflected in the actual message from Warwick. It's just "more weighting".

Unfortunately it means I'm probably ****ed. 600, 750, 740, 720 is gonna be no where near good enough.

Can we send mass complaints? I think they way they have assessed people this year, regardless of whether or not I get rejected, is hugely unfair. You can't announce changes to selection criteria AFTER applications close. It's unfair and potentially wastes a place for some people on their UCAS forms. I wouldn't have applied if I'd have known, certainly.

ReputationRep:
    The way they handled the UKCAT as a whole has been rather substandard this year. First the SJT problem which resulted in the score being discounted, and now Warwick are arbitrarily increasing the importance of VR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    It doesn't say that; it just says they placed "more weighting" and the guy who posted it said "2 fold". That isn't reflected in the actual message from Warwick. It's just "more weighting".

Unfortunately it means I'm probably ****ed. 600, 750, 740, 720 is gonna be no where near good enough.

Can we send mass complaints? I think they way they have assessed people this year, regardless of whether or not I get rejected, is hugely unfair. You can't announce changes to selection criteria AFTER applications close. It's unfair and potentially wastes a place for some people on their UCAS forms. I wouldn't have applied if I'd have known, certainly.
    I agree, if I knew they were weighing VR more than I wouldn't have applied. Just received the rejection from them too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstieW)
    I agree, if I knew they were weighing VR more than I wouldn't have applied. Just received the rejection from them too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can I ask what score you got Kirsty? Sorry to hear it

ReputationRep:
    rejection!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanamx2)
    rejection!

I am so sorry.

May I ask what your UKCAT was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Can I ask what score you got Kirsty? Sorry to hear it
    I had 680, it was a long shot anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do they send rejections in batches?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone with a really high UKCAT (e.g. 3000) been rejected based on a low VR score? I am shuddering to think that I could be rejected with my 3030 score, because I got around 660 (can't remember exactly!) on VR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BD7391)
    Has anyone with a really high UKCAT (e.g. 3000) been rejected based on a low VR score? I am shuddering to think that I could be rejected with my 3030 score, because I got around 660 (can't remember exactly!) on VR.
    Don't think so. Going by scores on the grad medicine thread, it looks like scores that are sub-700 overall have been rejected so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be getting hung up on the UKCAT averages, I know their rejection email says they are placing a greater emphasis on the VR but their website says:

'Based upon the 2013-14 admissions cycle, candidates without a PhD and scoring less than 2700 were unlikely to be invited to Selection Centre. Candidates with an undergraduate degree and no additional postgraduate qualifications scoring above 3,000 were likely to be offered a place at Selection Centre.'

What are peoples overall scores and VR that are getting rejections? That might give us a better idea of their cut off (if they have one!!)…
    Good luck to everyone!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.