Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-love-coffee)
    I've lost half a stone this week and plan to lose another next week. I am normally 8.5 stone but put on 1stone over the summer holidays. It's really getting me down and I don't want to start uni like this. I'll put my diet below. For all the critics out there saying 'you shouldn't eat this little you'll pass out, or, you're starving your body'; well 1. I haven't passed out I feel fine and 2. starving your body by some calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. It may not be the healthiest method, but being overweight isn't healthy either; both mentally and physically. And for the others that say eat three meals and exercise it off; if you eat three meals and exercise it off you are left with same calorie deficit as if you had just skipped that meal, so please go away.

This is what I did for the past week:

Breakfast: Nescafe chocolate mocha (about 100 calories)
    Lunch: ANYTHING 300 or under calories
    Dinner: ANYTHING 300 or under calories.

It doesn't feel like much of a diet because you can have whatever you want. Personally I opt for healthy meals like salads because you can fit a lot more in 300 calories. I also walk for a minimum of half an hour everyday. If I feel really low on energy (which always seems to be a wednesday morning) I also have a breakfast snack bar with my coffee. I drink diet coke to kill sweet cravings.

Lost half a stone in 7 days, hoping to loose the next now.
    I doubt you're getting much protein at all so you are indeed starving your body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    I doubt you're getting much protein at all so you are indeed starving your body.
    I am- I know that without it would loose muscle. Most of my 300 calorie meals are two quorn fillets (6g protein each) with side vegetables. Thats 24g of protein a day which is enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, if it was water weight I wouldn't have a noticeable difference in clothes sizes, as well as inches measured on tape.

I weigh myself every 3 days before breakfast in the same underwear.

I know it should only be around 1kg of weight loss, but I'm one of those people who gain and loose seriously easily. So I put a stone on easily, and I'm loosing it easily. The only reason I share the diet I do is because if someone has the same body type it may work for them too.
    Water is still weight, and can still affect clothes sizes etc. It's absolutely impossible that you've lost 3.2kg of fat unless you're a physiological phenomenon or you have serious infection/organ failure or something.

I'm not saying you're doing a bad job, or that the diet is dangerous for you (it's not unless your mentality is that once you hit 8.5 you'll get a new UGW etc), but you haven't lost 3.2kg of fat sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I am- I know that without it would loose muscle. Most of my 300 calorie meals are two quorn fillets (6g protein each) with side vegetables. Thats 24g of protein a day which is enough for me.
    Doubt it. The RDA of protein for women is 45-50g, and when someone is on a calorific deficit and aiming to lose fat but not muscle, it should be significantly higher than that.

ReputationRep:
    It is not good to just go completely cold turkey, always just eat a little less fat than the day before until you eventually decrease it all together.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it. The RDA of protein for women is 45-50g, and when someone is on a calorific deficit and aiming to lose fat but not muscle, it should be significantly higher than that.
    Why should it be significantly higher? Also, when you have a 6 hour food window and are in significant deficit, you need to be keeping up carb intake decent as well. It's as important if not more so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Why should it be significantly higher? Also, when you have a 6 hour food window and are in significant deficit, you need to be keeping up carb intake decent as well. It's as important if not more so.
    You need protein, carbs and fat for healthy weight loss, but in her case, 700 calories a day is definitely not healthy regardless of the macronutrient distribution.

Significantly higher in her case I'd mean something like 75g as opposed to 45g. Only protein can maintain muscle mass/reduce its loss. I'd say healthy fats are more important than carbs on a deficit though.

ReputationRep:
    You need protein, carbs and fat for healthy weight loss, but in her case, 700 calories a day is definitely not healthy regardless of the macronutrient distribution.

Significantly higher in her case I'd mean something like 75g as opposed to 45g. Only protein can maintain muscle mass/reduce its loss. I'd say healthy fats are more important than carbs on a deficit though.
    In that sort of short term deficit, the important thing is to maintain the majority of sarcoplasmic structure. You'll lose myosin and damage sarcomeres, but you will anyway in deficit unless you're doing quite a good amount of lifting. You won't lose from internal organs etc, so it's not the biggest worry in the world. As long as you can maintain short term glycogen in the sarcoplasm with carbs (IF is going on in that too, with no real intake in rest periods) and the fatty acids can take care of the rest. It's not dangerous in short term imo, and muscle loss shouldn't be too bad, but it's definitely not something for the long term. In a way it's ultra efficient because your carbs and proteins will always be 'in use.' The reason for her initial weight loss will likely be loss of hydrated glycogen etc, not muscle loss [for the most part]

I'm not gonna go into 'exact' figures, because they are 1.,disputable 2. I don't know them exactly. But it's not dangerous as at all short term, nor should it contribute to major muscle loss.

edit: Why would 'healthy fats' be more important? Fat can't even metabolise to glycogen. You'd have zero energy. Adipose can provide all the fat content you need. Literally the only reason to cut out carbs would be keto, and you can't do a good keto diet on 800 cals.

ReputationRep:
    IThats 24g of protein a day which is enough for me.
    Lol

If you're a rabbit, maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    In that sort of short term deficit, the important thing is to maintain the majority of sarcoplasmic structure. You'll lose myosin and damage sarcomeres, but you will anyway in deficit unless you're doing quite a good amount of lifting. You won't lose from internal organs etc, so it's not the biggest worry in the world. As long as you can maintain short term glycogen in the sarcoplasm with carbs (IF is going on in that too, with no real intake in rest periods) and the fatty acids can take care of the rest. It's not dangerous in short term imo, and muscle loss shouldn't be too bad, but it's definitely not something for the long term. In a way it's ultra efficient because your carbs and proteins will always be 'in use.' The reason for her initial weight loss will likely be loss of hydrated glycogen etc, not muscle loss [for the most part]

I'm not gonna go into 'exact' figures, because they are 1.,disputable 2. I don't know them exactly. But it's not dangerous as at all short term, nor should it contribute to major muscle loss.

edit: Why would 'healthy fats' be more important? Fat can't even metabolise to glycogen. You'd have zero energy. Adipose can provide all the fat content you need. Literally the only reason to cut out carbs would be keto, and you can't do a good keto diet on 800 cals.
    Fats are important in terms of vitamin absorption and hormonal balance, and they should be mainly healthier unsaturated sources. I meant they are important to be healthy, not necessarily in terms of weight loss, which you are right about. Because some people think you need to cut out/seriously reduce fat and carbs in your diet to lose weight which is incorrect :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Fats are important in terms of vitamin absorption and hormonal balance, and they should be mainly healthier unsaturated sources. I meant they are important to be healthy, not necessarily in terms of weight loss, which you are right about. Because some people think you need to cut out/seriously reduce fat and carbs in your diet to lose weight which is incorrect :rolleyes:
    In terms of health though it'd be most important in that sort of deficit to get glycogen to the muscles for reasons mentioned above, and the protein for maintaining them. You can easily take a vitamin supplement or something so it's not the biggest worry. The whole LDL/HDL thing is overstated anyway and not particularly important.

And yes, some people are complete idiots. On a high deficit carbs/proteins are king (except in keto). Fats, meh, everything except ala/la can be metabolised from bodyfat. Most people don't realise protein can metabolise to glucose anyway so ye gg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    That doesn't sound healthy, that sounds DANGEROUS!
    That's no more than 1,000 calories a day (probably closer to 800)!

EDIT:
    Link to something I like to eat on a regular basis posted further on in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post49516883
    actually it's closer to 400

ReputationRep:
    I really cannot understand people who think the fast way to lose weight is to starve themselves and basically eat nothing.

All your body is going to do is temporarily shed water weight, you'll think you're lighter and thinner and then eventually you'll give in from the starvation, and put all the (water) weight back on plus more. Your metabolism will be messed up as well probably, for the worse.

And for everyone who says "but what if I make the 'diet' permanent and I don't ever give in?". Well, my friend, you'll die of starvation. Actually no you won't, because it's impossible to force yourself to become anorexic. It's an illness of the mind, something serious that people suffer from.

Here's a quick way to lose weight. Eat healthy. Bulk on the purest but healthiest forms of protein you can find. Eggs, fish, chicken, and more. Your carbs should come from fruit and veg and an occasional piece of toast. Your fats should come from healthy foods. Nuts and seeds, for example.

How about trying toast and fruit or yoghurt and fruit with oats…or maybe poached eggs and cooked tomatoes for breakfasts. And salads with all the veggie/fruity goodness or homemade soups for lunches. Or plain grilled chicken and fish and vegetables for dinner. I'd rather have that than a cucumber.

And wait, all that adds up to 1200/1300 calories when you factor in snacks like fruit and nuts and seeds and the skimmed milk you put in your teas throughout the day.

Or, have you heard of exercise? That's a good way to lose weight too. It's where you basically get your heart pumping and jump about a bit and sweat and voila - weight gets lost!

I'm barely even sorry about this rant, or that I'm being sarcastic, because I'm losing my patience with girls and guys who keep saying they're eating a *insertswearword* cucumber for dinner so that they can lose weight quick because they're too lazy to make a real change to themselves.

From mid June to beginning of August, I lost 12 lbs. That's about 8 weeks, making an average loss of 1.5 lbs per week. If you made this effort, and more, you could be looking at almost 2 pounds per week. Any more and it gets a bit dodgy and dangerous, but still not more dangerous than starving yourself anyway.

If thats not quick I don't know what is. Should be easy, right? If you're all that determined to lose all this weight quick.

ReputationRep:
    You need the right information when trying to lose weight. Eating the right food is like 80% of your weight loss. This video can help you out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_n4b08PqrA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barbara95)
    I intend on starting this diet by a KPOP group called the Secret diet a friend of mine is on it and she's lost quite a lot like 7kg a month.
    Monday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, 1 apple, 1 sweet potato
    Lunch: chicken breast salad
    Dinner: 8 cherry tomatoes, 1 cucumber

Tuesday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, low-fat milk
    Lunch: 1 sweet potato
    Dinner: 8 strawberries, 5 cherry tomatoes

Wednesday
    Lunch: 1 sweet potato, 5 cherry tomatoes
    Dinner: 5 strawberries, 1 cucumber

Thursday
    Lunch: chicken breast, 8 strawberries
    Dinner: 5 cherry tomatoes, 1 cucumber

Friday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, 1 apple
    Lunch: 3 eggs, 1 cucumber, 5 cherry tomatoes
    Dinner: 10 strawberries, 1 cucumber

Saturday
    Dinner: 1 tofu, 3 cherry tomatoes

Sunday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, 1 apple, low-fat milk
    Dinner: 1 cucumber

I intend on starting this when I go to uni as my mum will not allow me to diet. Good Luck

Woaaahhh no way that's a dangerously low calorie intake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobinalimbu)
    I think i need to lose some weight especially cuz i have nothing much to do and i have tried like water diet and stuff but somehow i just cant do it for too long !! Anyone who knows good ways to lose weight quick that maybe is fun and easy?

Also if you are planning on leaving some rude messages then leave now !! Only people who cares, understand and respects others suggestions are welcome to comment !!
    Just cut down your portion sizes slightly and exercise in moderation. Unfortunately the sensible options take time so people feel like it's not working. Then they try a ridiculous and dangerous diet plan which either makes them ill or they give up because they cant do it which makes them feel hopeless. Just take it slowly. It's the only way you'll keep the weight off in the long term. And look up some healthy recipes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.