Manchester University Nursing applicants 2015 Watch

gian121
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ware94)
hello everybody, I have a interview on wednesday 1st. just booked my hotel and train as I'm coming from Hull. I was wondering if anybody had any advice for the english test, Im not as worried for the maths as there is lots i can practice on such as snap, but there isn't anything for the english one.

would be very appreciated xx
Hey the English test is very easy. It's basically a judgement of whether you can formulate simple sentences using good vocabulary, grammar and punctuation! (Apparently maybe even handwriting too) I wrote loads on the first question and like 2 sentences on the second, and still got offered a place.

Plus they won't completely base your offer on how well you write unless you really are that tragically moronic! They'll base it on whether you passed your SNAP test, how well you did on the interviews (a major part), your predicted grades/Past grades, and your personal statement. If you've gotten an interview then you're already in a good position! Just make sure to be yourself and relax, and smile! Loads! A charming smile not only makes you look confident and good, but smiling, regardless of whether it's faked or not, releases hormones that makes you feel better! As well as making the interviewers' time with you a delight! So just do it! good luck on your interview and I wish you the best! x
Ware94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's fantastic. Thank you. Will let you know how it goes xxx
Smokey1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I have an conditional offer for MH nursing at Manchester based on passing two modules at the Open University. I'm undecided at the moment whether to accept as I believe the course is very science orientated. Are there any other students that have accepted or thinking of studying at Mcr in particular mature students?

Thanks
Phillc93
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just got an offer from Manchester to study nursing, I'm 21 and have already done a degree. Are there many other lads starting in September?
uzairlambat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah phil, I'm starting adult nursing in September, what nursing are you doing?
kat541
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ware94)
That's fantastic. Thank you. Will let you know how it goes xxx
Ware94 couldn't help but notice you're from Hull. Me too! How'd your interview go?
I had mine in March and have been given an offer!
gian121
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Phillc93)
I just got an offer from Manchester to study nursing, I'm 21 and have already done a degree. Are there many other lads starting in September?
Yeah 18 here and a male prospective adult student nurse starting this September if my grades allow it. If you haven't already done so, we have an offers and applicants page on Facebook you can join via:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/529005837202203/
hipposcribble
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stupified88)
Hey guys.....

I'm a 3rd year at Brighton (Adult field).... not sure how other universities will interview but I could offer the following advice:

1. Make sure you are up on current affairs in nursing and healthcare generally i.e. Ebola is a MASSIVE topic at the moment, as is antibiotic resistance, infection control, the re-organisation of primary care.... tons of things regarding the NHS as a whole.
2. Be sure to have a solid answer when asked "why do you wish to become a nurse." Saying that you want to help people doesn't really show much about your character, what motivates you, your ambitions etc. My university offer a variety of post-grad courses so emphasize your wish to pursue an evidence-based profession with scope for career advancement.
3. Experience - try and highlight relevant experiences you've had with people i.e. looking after a sick relative, volunteering at a charity, doing a first-aid course. A lot of the time, people experience is a pre-requisite but of course, this doesn't necessarily have to be healthcare related. For example, my friends have been air stewards, learning disability support workers, charity workers etc. Remember nursing is often a second career for many so make sure you highlight your life experience as well.
4. Prepare for the numerical test (GCSE level, fractions, ratios, long multiplication/division) - do not worry about this! It's really not difficult.
5. The English test is really about whether you can form articulate, informative, constructive paragraphs that make sense. Again, very straight forward.

I hope this is comprehensive enough. Do let me know if you need anything else. As I mentioned before, this was my own experience at Brighton though others will probably have a similar process.

Be yourself, give a strong handshake, make eye contact, crack a joke!

Good luck,

Ash

Hi Ash,

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I know I'm reading this post a year later, however I have used your points as a starting point for my interview prep.

Are there ever any trick questions that you are asked? Or common questions that come up in interview (other than asking why you want to become a nurse!)?

Thanks in advance.

Zoe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads