What do you think is a good salary and why? Watch

skinnylove25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ideally, I'd like to be super rich lol, but there's a really slim chance that's it going to happen, so I'd be very happy with ¨200 k a year ( and that too is probably not gonna happen lol )
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
I wonder what salary you'd need for a mortgage on a property in the millions
My experience is that most of that kind of value are either bought outright or longterm rented.
sarsoora
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ebam_uk)
yeah I aiming to earn between the 60k to 80k earning potential.
loooooool
sarsoora
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by skinnylove25)
Ideally, I'd like to be super rich lol, but there's a really slim chance that's it going to happen, so I'd be very happy with ¨200 k a year ( and that too is probably not gonna happen lol )
loooool
skinnylove25
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sarsoora)
loooool
what is your "looool" for ? lol
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what is your "looool" for ? lol
I'd guess at the 200k, although you did then admit it was unlikely to happen
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
more money that your age

/thread
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Given some people in this thread I suspect it's more realism.
I grew up in a family of 4 and I'm pretty sure the max yearly income was about 35k (tops) in all of that.
skinnylove25
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
I'd guess at the 200k, although you did then admit it was unlikely to happen
Haha yeah I know, I don't think that's it's likely to happen because of the field I want to work in, but if I was wanting to do a career in something where you can get rich easily then that wouldn't be that unrealistic, but I'm ambitious and love clothes/make up/ travelling so much , so I'm going to work hard to get that 200 K a year lol .
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
more money that your age

/thread
Not a bad generalisation tbh. Coupled with 35k pension by 35 and you're on course for a reasonable standard of living and retirement.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha yeah I know, I don't think that's it's likely to happen because of the field I want to work in, but if I was wanting to do a career in something where you can get rich easily then that wouldn't be that unrealistic, but I'm ambitious and love clothes/make up/ travelling so much , so I'm going to work hard to get that 200 K a year lol .
There is no career you can get rich easily in, otherwise it wouldn't be rich because everyone else would be achieving it.

Why would you need even 200k to obtain those things?
twisted
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
45k+ is good I'd say
70k+ is great
100k+ is amazing
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
I either have more realistic expectations or just have low aspirations.

Also lol at the 60k+ required for a family. I feel like a right scrubber.
I don't think that level of income is required to live, £65k household income would just be ideal for the lifestyle i want us to lead.

If we are talking about simply living relatively happily then an individual salary of £20k should do the trick and £30k for a household income.
skinnylove25
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
There is no career you can get rich easily in, otherwise it wouldn't be rich because everyone else would be achieving it.

Why would you need even 200k to obtain those things?
Yeah I know that it's not "easy" but what I meant was " easier" , because in some fields you earn more money and find jobs more easily than in others. I don't know, I think it would be a great salary because I'd be able to be wealthy, with lots of money to spend on the things I like, because when I mean clothes, make-up, travelling, I mean expensive stuff, which I wouldn't be able to afford on a "normal people" salary
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
My experience is that most of that kind of value are either bought outright or longterm rented.
I doubt there aren't a significant number of millionaire properties under mortgage. Anyhow, this doesn't really answer my question.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I know that it's not "easy" but what I meant was " easier" , because in some fields you earn more money and find jobs more easily than in others. I don't know, I think it would be a great salary because I'd be able to be wealthy, with lots of money to spend on the things I like, because when I mean clothes, make-up, travelling, I mean expensive stuff, which I wouldn't be able to afford on a "normal people" salary
What fields do you think you're going to earn £200k in?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SarcasticMel)
I didn't mean the taste. I meant the quality.
I also cook good quality food. There is nothing wrong with buying cheap staple items such as tinned tomatoes or veg from aldi.
Melancholic Mill
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by solarplexus)
100-200k a year by at least age 45 after tax of course....

made by career salary and personal investments...

would make you very comfortable provided your out of debt by 35
Wow we should marry each other
Melancholic Mill
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am the only one who thinks 40k gbp by the age of 30 is a good salary?

I am Warwick mathematician, are my expectations reasonable? Too high or too low?
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's relative. The question is basically meaningless.

If I only had myself to look after I think I'd be perfectly comfortable and have quite a lot of discretionary income/ room for holidays and stuff with like £25k*, and I'm basing that on what I'm paying to live in London at the moment. I'm not sure whether that makes that a 'good' salary.

It wouldn't be 'good' for me because I'd really be selling myself short if I couldn't earn substantially more than that.

edit: *after tax, so I guess somewhat more.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
I love food and cooking also, buy salmon in bulk for cheaper prices for freezing (if you don't mind freezing salmon, I know some people hate it). Vegetables are very cheap, noodles cheap as chips as well. Still completely disagree with you, £40 is a lot. Besides I doubt you have salmon every day :P

I find when people say food is expensive or that they can;t afford food they often do the following:

-Buy everything branded from baked beans and milk to orange juice.
-Don't know how to cook
-Don't know how to properly use all ingredients without wastage
-Don't adopt good shopping methods, such as buying ingredients each day rather than doing a large shop a week or every two weeks. People often spend a lot more doing this.
-Buy more than they need and waste food as it goes off.
-Eat out a lot, or always buy lunches out rather than making their own.
-too lazy to plan ahead
Right, £40 is a lot 'to live on' if you go through the rigmarole you've outlined (in this post and others), but aren't we talking about what is 'good'? If you have to plan your food shopping closely ahead, and you can't afford to buy lunch out once or twice a week, you do not have a 'good' food budget.

£50 isn't ridiculous. It's pretty much just at the point where you can (if you exercise some moderation) mostly buy what you want without having to worry. Not having to worry about budgeting is as good a definition as any of a 'good' budget imho.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.23%
No - but I will (80)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (497)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise