The Student Room Group

Who is the best footballer in history?

Scroll to see replies

1. Messi
2. Maradona
3. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. Di Stefano
5. Zidane

Ronaldinho's inclusion in the poll is a bit of a joke, nowhere near the levels of the others, Fellaini notwithstanding.
Original post by al_94
We are talking about best footballer in history so that means all time

I'll quote you when I have enough time to construct a factual and meaningful argument.

I don't have that time right now.
Original post by Manchester United
Reread my post. I said 'in my lifetime'. I was too young to watch Ronaldo for Barcelona.

You still can't compare him to Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. They've dominated football for seven years at the highest level (and are still going!).

Cristiano and Messi dominated in a time when who else was around? Just them!

Ronaldo R9 played at same time as:

Rivaldo
Roberto Carlos
Zidane
Figo
Beckham
Henry
Vieri
Raul
Ronaldinho
Kluivert
Seedorf
Davids
Bergkamp
Batistuta
Crespo
Original post by billydisco
Cristiano and Messi dominated in a time when who else was around? Just them!

Irrelevant. Messi and to a lesser extent Cristiano are so far ahead of everyone else; but that's not to say the rest aren't great. Xavi, Iniesta and now Neuer are all looking like all time greats. While the likes of Schweinsteiger and Lahm are at least on par with like half of those names you mentioned.
Reply 124
Ronaldinho will always be my personal favourite. At his peak he was a joy to watch.
Simply Cristianooo Ronaldooooo :smile: My user name says it all haha :cool:
Original post by mud4554r
Ah George Best, one of football's great journeyman's and play boys :tongue:

Pau lGaza, hahahaha
i've always wanted to know other people's views on who they think is the greatest player to ever grace the beautiful game.

It would be great if you could also justify your choice.

where is kaka at :frown:
Garrincha is the best ever.
Original post by Manchester United
I agree. Messi, Zidane, Ronaldinho and Iniesta all have more natural talent than Cristiano Ronaldo. But Cristiano's work-ethic and professionalism destroys the rest. I think he's a fantastic role model.

For the nostalgic people that are saying Ronaldo>C.Ronaldo:

Fat Ronaldo: 111 goals in 193 games for Real Madrid.
Cristiano Ronaldo: 274 goals in 261 games for Real Madrid.

It's not even close.

You are conveniently cherry picking your stats to suit your argument. By the time Ronaldo joined Madrid he was already ****ed as he'd done his knees twice but his career didn't turn out half bad. We already know Ronaldo is more talented. That makes him the better player.

Your post is biased as ****. What about his international career? As I said he is the blueprint that all modern strikers are based on. He reinvented the wheel. He had everything. At 21 he was by far the best player in the world already, everything was about him, just completely destroying games.

As for work ethic, you wouldn't say Roy Keane was better than George Best so why say Cristiano is better than Ronaldo. If you were born in the late 80's to the early 90's then I don't understand how he can't be in your top three players at the very least and really should be top two. You've got Zidane and Thierry Henry over him :confused:

Absolutely hate it, detest it when people call him 'fat' Ronaldo as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sex God
Don't piss me off. Ronaldinho was the most talented footballer to have ever graced the game. He wasn't the best scorer but he didn't need to be. He was electric on the ball and nobody was as entertaining and better to watch as he was.

Lol.
Reply 131
Great discussion coming along lads!!!

WHO IS THE BEST? KEEP VOTING!

*** Note: Mods, please remove Marouone Fellaini from the poll and some how ban others from adding to the poll.
One thing is for sure though, no player will match Pele's outstanding goalscoring record and achievements with Brazil.

Neymar should beat Pele's scoring record well before he's 30.
I'm not even the biggest Zidane fan, but can't believe he's got so few votes. He's up there and in my opinion can easily compete with Maradona, Messi, and Ronaldo.(Or at least the latter two) If Messi had to play Zidane in midfield he'd get owned.

Fellaini, I'm presuming is a joke?! I'd put Baggio on there above him, easily, Bergkamp too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Messi is the best by a distance.

If you played Messi only as a midfielder, he would be one of the best midfielders of all time.

If you played him only as a winger, he would be the best winger of all time.

If you played him only as a striker, he would be the best striker of all time.

He's a complete freak who is better than everyone else at almost everything. People can compare scoring records with Ronaldo et al, but the introduction of some other basic parameters puts Messi above and beyond them all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chillaxer

Fellaini, I'm presuming is a joke?!

Nah, mate. He's class.
Original post by Mackay
Nah, mate. He's class.

Kompany's better, and that's just within the Belgium team:tongue:
I am a Messi fanboy tbh. Although I think Gotze will become known as a great player soon, people underestimate that guy.
And anyone, what about Baggio's injured, unfit and single handed carrying Italy to the World cup final in '94? I think that puts him up there. Doing it on the big stage as well as the cub pedigree. Maradona and Zidane have that over Messi and Ronnie.
Original post by Chillaxer
And anyone, what about Baggio's injured, unfit and single handed carrying Italy to the World cup final in '94? I think that puts him up there. Doing it on the big stage as well as the cub pedigree. Maradona and Zidane have that over Messi and Ronnie.

The Champions League is the big stage now, not the World Cup.

Quick Reply

Latest