Ask the TSR Government Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
They've set up an "Anti-Green Task Force" headed by Sadiq Khan, with the intention of showing voters in Green-friendly marginals that Miliband isn't like Blair but is instead a fluffy little social democrat who didn't like the Iraq War, loves the environment and all the rest of it without putting off voters elsewhere who might swing to the Tories or UKIP if that was the general party line.
Ha. Will be interesting to see if they can do it without pissing off the market friendly voters that liked New Labour.

I'm not sure it will be effective myself because the Green gain was driven by exposure from Scotland rather than Labour support peeling away.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Ha. Will be interesting to see if they can do it without pissing off the market friendly voters that liked New Labour.

I'm not sure it will be effective myself because the Green gain was driven by exposure from Scotland rather than Labour support peeling away.
Indeed. Labour certainly seems to want a more market and UKIP-friendly message in terms of the national picture so I expect this taskforce will be limited to local campaigning, particularly in Brighton, Bristol and Norwich where the Greens have their strongest presences.

I'm not sure that's actually true - the Scottish Green Party is entirely seperate, their membership has doubled in England and Wales alone (the affect was far more dramatic north of the border). And most of the change in Scotland seemed to come post-referendum, whereas the Greens where growing in the polls before then. I think YouGov is actually showing them with a slightly high level of support in England than in Scotland, and I doubt the Scottish issues where particularly driving English voters. The trend seems more to be that disillusioned Lib Dems who mid-term in 2012 said they were going to vote Labour are now much less sure of that and considering the Greens as an alternative alternative.
trustmeimlying1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye. I believe in the reunification of the British Isles, am open to the unification of the Anglosphere and in time the unification of the Anglosphere and EU. I suppose i'm a bit of a western supremacist since i value our collective power in the world.

True.
haha british isles isnt even an accepted term here

but yeh..we get yeh.I think because the fact yee treated us so bad for so long and weve been succesful without yee guys for so long now that its unlikely to ever go back whether yeh find it sad or not.

we dont need to rejoin to remain allies.

true true.
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It probably says a lot about my background that I was initially confused, thinking of a rather different "Green Brigade" :lol: But yep, and the backlash against them of late too - all too familiar a story with the suffering of a junior coalition partner who'd betrayed their principles

Traditionally they haven't been, but they've grown recently - they've doubled their membership this year to around 30,000, and are now polling around five to sever percent in the polls for the upcoming General Election. Not enough to influence Government directly, but enough that Labour is becoming very concerned at the potential split in the left-wing vote.
you write oddly nice.

if you werent married id so tsr date yeh

(I am such an idiot!)
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
you write oddly nice.

if you werent married id so tsr date yeh

(I am such an idiot!)
Uhm... If I'm married then last weekend was a little wilder than I remembered
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
have a bf then same thing to me kid

do I wana know about this weekend away:eek:
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
have a bf then same thing to me kid

do I wana know about this weekend away:eek:
Get a room.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Get a room.
I'll second that motion.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has your foreign secretary done anything? Is it government policy to engage with the MUN or not?
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has your foreign secretary done anything? Is it government policy to engage with the MUN or not?
I believe the Foreign Secretary is currently away.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
I believe the Foreign Secretary is currently away.
Typical, just typical, typical FS away to foreign places while no doubt doing foreign things at the expense of British aka Non-Foriegn taxpayers
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Updated the OP.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Let's get a final PMQs going!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Let's get a final PMQs going!
Mr Speaker, with an election upcoming, a flaccid liberal party and an extremist green party. Will Labour be seeking another coalition with these people.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Updated the OP, previous cabinet in 2nd spoiler.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Mr Speaker, with an election upcoming, a flaccid liberal party and an extremist green party. Will Labour be seeking another coalition with these people.
Mr Speaker, Labour is not in the habit of preempting the electorate with speculation. All parties should seek to achieve the unprecedented goal of a majority. Though this is virtually impossible in our system.

Myself, in consultation with my Deputy, Chairman and fellow party members will do what is best for the party and country. But 12 months is a long time to be in coalition with one party and as far as I'm aware no two parties have ever been in coalition for 3 consecutive terms. We'll see what happens won't we.
It's a Shame
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr Speaker, Labour is not in the habit of preempting the electorate with speculation. All parties should seek to achieve the unprecedented goal of a majority. Though this is virtually impossible in our system.

Myself, in consultation with my Deputy, Chairman and fellow party members will do what is best for the party and country. But 12 months is a long time to be in coalition with one party and as far as I'm aware no two parties have ever been in coalition for 3 consecutive terms. We'll see what happens won't we.
You want a majority? Let's run a mock election (using my system), and you may win one.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's a Shame)
You want a majority? Let's run a mock election (using my system), and you may win one.
Ate the expense of the privacy of individuals and democracy? Nah, I'll stick with the 10 year system and deprive the MHoC of one of its most interesting elements - coalition building.
It's a Shame
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ate the expense of the privacy of individuals and democracy? Nah, I'll stick with the 10 year system and deprive the MHoC of one of its most interesting elements - coalition building.
Parties do not want to collaborate anymore, because there are too many conflicts. I never suggested that we intrude in people's private lives - I think they should be able to choose their constituency. It's not undemocratic.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's a Shame)
Parties do not want to collaborate anymore, because there are too many conflicts. I never suggested that we intrude in people's private lives - I think they should be able to choose their constituency. It's not undemocratic.
You've made 3 untrue statements.

The Parties collaborate constantly. Your amendment has MPs from UKIP and Labour supporting it lol and we are currently in a 3-party constitution.

You do wish to intrude - the amendment calls for people to declare where they live, which can only be checked with privacy-infringing IP-address checks.

It makes our system closer to FPTP which is undemocratic because not all seats will be equally easy/difficult to win. You yourself just said Labour might win a majority more easily with your system. That's proof it skews the result.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads