Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am interested in bsc in government and economics. Is it a really strong combination? Is Lse the best place to study such course. How is it taught there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by readyt)
    Hi, i am interested in bsc in government and economics. Is it a really strong combination? Is Lse the best place to study such course. How is it taught there?
    Hi, yes its a very strong combination - you're studying the best of government and best of economics at a very solid institution.
    I would say that LSE is definitely the best place to study this course (a little bit biased as I attend there). However if I was being impartial I would say Cambridge (if they do a similar combination) and LSE are both fantastic institutions to study the course.
    It's taught well. Like all LSE courses though, there is a lot of independent study needed and thus one is expected to be motivated in their choice of study.
    Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks I'm really motivated. Advanced economic analysis and economic policy analysis, which is more policy oriented and mathematically based. Which is more preferable for a joint government and economics student

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am an offer holder for LSE's Government and Economics course for 2015 entry. It is an amazing combination as the study of Government is not really complete without a grounding in Economics (and vice versa). I would say it is the best place to study a joint honours in Economics and Politics in the country, and the only similar course which is possibly better is PPE at Oxford (applied for that but had rubbish interviews, will hear from them soon but not expecting much!). I don't really know in any great depth how it is taught (probably standard lectures I guess). Are you thinking of applying this cycle?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got an offer for Geography BA, LSE will likely be my firm choice. I was wondering what the catered halls are like? As in, what's the system like and is the food reasonably nice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickbonista)
    Hi, I've got an offer for Geography BA, LSE will likely be my firm choice. I was wondering what the catered halls are like? As in, what's the system like and is the food reasonably nice?
    Well done!
    I'm a vegetarian and I think the food's decent so that must say something. You do get days where I feel that the food is a bit below par however overall I am generally satisfied.
    I guess opinions vary from hall to hall but any LSE accommodation tends to have good food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj_16)
    Well done!
    I'm a vegetarian and I think the food's decent so that must say something. You do get days where I feel that the food is a bit below par however overall I am generally satisfied.
    I guess opinions vary from hall to hall but any LSE accommodation tends to have good food.

Thanks! Is food pre-paid, or on the spot, or at the end of term?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Is food pre-paid, or on the spot, or at the end of term?
    No worries.
    Pre paid (within your rent fee)! Otherwise it would be a real hassle!

ReputationRep:
    How tough is the economics b course? Is there a likelihood of someone being admitted with a foundation year certificate? Finally, i just read an article about the workload at lse, what is really like.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I am applying for the government and economics course. I find it absolutely fascinating and compatible. Lse is my choice university.

ReputationRep:
    How tough is the economics b course? Is there a likelihood of someone being admitted with a foundation year certificate? Finally, i just read an article about the workload at lse, what is really like.
    The econ b course isn't very tough for someone with economics a level. For instance, I have an A level in economics and I find it a small extension to the A level. I'm not sure what a foundation certificate is but if its anything like the A level, you'll be fine.

Yes, workload is quite high. Students from some other unis say "you don't have to work in the first year" but with LSE you do.

ReputationRep:
    A foundation certificate or foundation year is a year of extra schooling for those international students whose qualification are inadequate for matriculation into undergraduate degree programs in britain.

Can you tell me which of these econ courses is more policy driven; economic policy analysis or advanced economic analysis.

ReputationRep:
    Can i get your cell number aj_16? I need to talk to you personally for more advice as I process my application.

ReputationRep:
    Another question! How frantic should I be about applying for accommodation (though I'm narrowing down now)? And where are societies usually based? The second just as I'm factoring it into the location aspect of choosing my accommodation, if I have to cycle 20 minutes for every society meeting I go to that's not good.

ReputationRep:
    Another question! How frantic should I be about applying for accommodation (though I'm narrowing down now)? And where are societies usually based? The second just as I'm factoring it into the location aspect of choosing my accommodation, if I have to cycle 20 minutes for every society meeting I go to that's not good.
    Don't be too frantic but make sure you enter the correct details in your accommodation form.

Societies are based at LSE so your only concern is how far your halls are from LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Do you Think it's possible to get a city job i.e. IB with Ba History from the LSE or do you think it'd be better if i changed course (If thats possible ?)

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am an international applicant to lse's bsc in economics program. Could you tell me the minimum cost of living in london per year?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Do you get to choose all your courses for your first year or do you have to pick from a selected few like in this link http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calen...Management.htm ? Are the courses in the link just a guideline or a requirement?
    Also, thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj_16)
    Has the average student at LSE got 10A*s for GCSE and 4A*s for GCE A levels?

ReputationRep:
    a completely different kind of question: visiting cambridge i saw that loads of people walked around in couples, is this also the case for lse, how common are relationships?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.