Eurovision Song Contest Society 2015 Watch

Genesis2703
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ManicPumpkin)
Decent song this, actually! Very reminiscent of The Netherlands last year with the boy and girl duet with the guitar playing and the black and white. I suppose many countries will try and imitate The Common Linnets as they won't want to copy the winner for obvious reasons

All those weeks for this?! That being said, much better than last year!

Haha I too was also not in!
Yeah, I'm just concerned for these countries trying to be similar to the common linnets, because they will just split the vote and then all do badly. Which while funny would also annoy loadssss of people

Yeah, you can't moan about Lithuania when they took ages last year just to send ATTENTION which was horrible....

How dare you not be in, grr everyone is having a social life nowadays

(Original post by 26december;53833041[B)
]Is it bad that I really want ElektroFolk - Sundance to win for Latvia??[/B] It just screams Eurovision to me and I think the song is great!
Yes it is bad

This could be a pretty good year for the baltics (100% qualification at least) but I feel Latvia would mess it up if they sent them!
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To end this eurovision week, we have Latvia who will send Aminata with "Love Injected"

This was the best of the 4 tonight, but one of the backing singers (now in the vid above) really messed up bad, which is why I'm surprised this won still. I'm satisfied, but Lithuania&Estonia will probs do better this year
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Genesis2703)
To end this eurovision week, we have Latvia who will send Aminata with "Love Injected"

This was the best of the 4 tonight, but one of the backing singers (not in the vid above) really messed up bad, which is why I'm surprised this won still. I'm satisfied, but Lithuania&Estonia will probs do better this year
Hmm I'm not sure about that song. I imagine I'll probably enjoy the studio version but not the live version. But who knows, maybe it'll grow on me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
The United Kingdom's entry will be revealed on Saturday 7th March on the BBC Red Button service straight after The Voice!

Exec Producer Guy Freeman said: "Ultimately, one song stood out as having both instant impact and real memory staying power."

Read more on the BBC Eurovision website and at the official Eurovision site
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
Finding it hard to keep up with all the songs that have been selected? Well help is at hand! Here's a short montage video of all the songs that have been selected so far:

(Although you should ignore Albania as it turns out she'll now be singing a different song )
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The United Kingdom's entry will be revealed on Saturday 7th March on the BBC Red Button service straight after The Voice!
Not many clues sadly about who the singer may be, if it is like last year though we'll get a very strong rumour a couple of days before and it'll be right!

A couple things though:
1) It's not going to be someone really famous (or at least famous NOW) since it is a red button show. If it was like One Direction it would get a proper TV slot
2) The blog post says that they received submissions from amateurs AND professional songwriters, while last year they were adamant about it being an amateur, so maybe it's a name that some people know of, but no one big time?
3) Which leads on to this point, maybe it is a former The Voice competitor (not necessarily a winner, but maybe a finalist). It would explain why the showing is straight after The Voice maybe? Or perhaps The Voice was picked simply because it is musical

It's a good sign that the eurovision reveal was moved to a prime time TV slot at least. If the UK sticks to the dedication they showed last year, I expect a decent entry that might improve on our 17th from last year. I mean many people post-contest last year were saying the UK were underrated (just look at youtube rankings for example!)

(Although you should ignore Albania as it turns out she'll now be singing a different song )
Elhaida Dani will now sing "I'm Alive" in Vienna (song isn't out yet). Basically the composer of Diell has decider for "personal reasons" to not let the song be used for eurovision etc. also apparently said composer has cut all contact off with the Albanian broadcaster so yeah, drama!
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
Not many clues sadly about who the singer may be, if it is like last year though we'll get a very strong rumour a couple of days before and it'll be right!

A couple things though:
1) It's not going to be someone really famous (or at least famous NOW) since it is a red button show. If it was like One Direction it would get a proper TV slot
2) The blog post says that they received submissions from amateurs AND professional songwriters, while last year they were adamant about it being an amateur, so maybe it's a name that some people know of, but no one big time?
3) Which leads on to this point, maybe it is a former The Voice competitor (not necessarily a winner, but maybe a finalist). It would explain why the showing is straight after The Voice maybe? Or perhaps The Voice was picked simply because it is musical
I did notice that as of recently the BBC Eurovision Twitter account and Jahmene Douglas (off of X Factor fame) are following each other!

But this is nothing but wild speculation

I am very excited though! With no runaway winners as of yet could this be the year the UK do reasonably well?!
26december
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did notice that as of recently the BBC Eurovision Twitter account and Jahmene Douglas (off of X Factor fame) are following each other!

But this is nothing but wild speculation

I am very excited though! With no runaway winners as of yet could this be the year the UK do reasonably well?!
As optimistic as I'd like to see myself, I wouldn't get your/our hopes up just yet. There was lots of hype around Molly and we still only placed 17th but you never know, we can only pray that we actually send something decent if I can say that???

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikec47
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
could this be the year the UK do reasonably well?!
Ha!

Aim low and you won't be disappointed, that's been my Eurovision mantra for quite a few years now! Anything else is just a nice wee bonus!
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by 26december)
As optimistic as I'd like to see myself, I wouldn't get your/our hopes up just yet. There was lots of hype around Molly and we still only placed 17th but you never know, we can only pray that we actually send something decent if I can say that???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I believe that if the UK performed in a better position last year other than last we would have done much better! People have pretty much made up their minds on who they're going to vote for by that point
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Indeed, the hype around Molly was something for eurofans, but not the general public. the UK came 5th in the OGAE 2014 contest (the Official fanclubs per country vote as in a usual eurovision fashion), and as I said before if you looked on youtube most people were really into the UK song. I think the staging/nerves got in the way.

(Original post by mikec47)
Ha!

Aim low and you won't be disappointed, that's been my Eurovision mantra for quite a few years now! Anything else is just a nice wee bonus!
I tend to agree, but I told my friend last year that we should be aiming for 15th with Molly

It was even sadder considering we had the triplet of Belarus/Iceland/Poland right in front of us in 17th (3 songs I really did not have time for....). I do have faith we will improve once again though!

Personally I believe that if the UK performed in a better position last year other than last we would have done much better! People have pretty much made up their minds on who they're going to vote for by that point
I partially agree because the UK wasn't as good as a Finale song as we expected. I clearly remember that once it was decided who will sing where in the final, everyone jumped in and said "The UK will surely sing last, it just suits that slot in the running order" and that turned out to be the case. But on the night the strange staging, costumes etc. didn't make it feel how I expected it to.
26december
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Indeed, the hype around Molly was something for eurofans, but not the general public. the UK came 5th in the OGAE 2014 contest (the Official fanclubs per country vote as in a usual eurovision fashion), and as I said before if you looked on youtube most people were really into the UK song. I think the staging/nerves got in the way.

I tend to agree, but I told my friend last year that we should be aiming for 15th with Molly

It was even sadder considering we had the triplet of Belarus/Iceland/Poland right in front of us in 17th (3 songs I really did not have time for....). I do have faith we will improve once again though!

I partially agree because the UK wasn't as good as a Finale song as we expected. I clearly remember that once it was decided who will sing where in the final, everyone jumped in and said "The UK will surely sing last, it just suits that slot in the running order" and that turned out to be the case. But on the night the strange staging, costumes etc. didn't make it feel how I expected it to.
Yeah I think the main problem was staging, she didn't move??? I mean conchita didn't move but her voice/beard proved more haha. Personally I still think (even though there are still many countries to decide their song) that Iceland is my number one favourite with France coming in at a close second!

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikec47
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd also add that the bookies have a tendency to always seriously overestimate the UK's chances. I seem to remember Molly being in the top 5 last year.
26december
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I also personally think that they shouldn't allow people to vote until all finalists have performed. This way, all finalists have a more equal chance as the position of performing usually has an affect on how well that country/finalist does

Posted from TSR Mobile
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
I also personally think that they shouldn't allow people to vote until all finalists have performed. This way, all finalists have a more equal chance as the position of performing usually has an affect on how well that country/finalist does
Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe that was ended a few years back! Voting opens at the end now
26december
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe that was ended a few years back! Voting opens at the end now
Was it? I swear you've always been to vote as soon as they perform?

Edit: ok so I just watched the first 15 mins of the final last year and I realise that you do in deed vote at the end. Oops 🙈🙈🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
Tonight it is Ireland's turn to choose their entrant for Vienna! You can watch Eurosong here from 9:25
Brandon_97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tonight it is Ireland's turn to choose their entrant for Vienna! You can watch Eurosong here from 9:25

Looking forward to Craggy Island's entry - My Lovely Horse
26december
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So Ireland chose their entry for Vienna last night and they will be represented by Molly Sterling with the song Playing with Numbers.

I'm not really a fan of the song, my favourite was definitely Erika Selin - Break Me Up but nevertheless I'm hoping Playing with Numbers will grow on me.
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So Ireland chose their entry for Vienna last night and they will be represented by Molly Sterling with the song Playing with Numbers.
It's normally more convenient to put a video of the song up in the same post to avoid people having to put effort in looking for the song!

I actually quite like it, it could really struggle though due to Malta in the same half, and Latvia/Switzerland also in the same semi. As much as I love solo-females, it won't work if there are too many in one semi!

EDIT: I just realise we sent a Molly last year, and they are sending a Molly this year. What copycats
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads